Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 07:46 PM

4 posts, read 43,922 times

Advertisements

Last summer I paid the city a visit and I left my heart in Vancouver B.C. Never in my mind did I ever imagine Vancouver to be as great a place as it was. I am totally sold on the place and I would love to purchase a condo on Stanley Island as close to the Park as possible. There are some streets with tons of colour! Even the floors everywhere I went glistened with excitement.

Can anyone tell me what these condos go for? I would like a 2 bed 2 bath Condo with a parking space in a parking garage.

I feel it's just about time for a change in scenery for me. The city where I'm coming from will be omitted in order to prevent anyone here from posting their prejudices about me that aren't true. The place where I'm coming from hardly defines who I am. Not that It's known to be gang territory or high crime or anything of that nature. I'm coming from an affluent part of the globe. I can tell you that much.

But I am in love with Vancouver and Canadians alike. I believe that the quality of life in Vancouver is second to none. I'm totally sold on the idea of living in the middle of a Temperate Rain Forest. And having the Rain Forest in walking distance from where I would work and rest my head.

Canadians as a whole share more freedoms, tolerance, and opportunities than much of the rest of the world. I would love to be a Canadian too.

Can anyone tell me what are some of the best parts of the peninsula to consider buying a home? Maybe over by GasTown isn't such a bad idea. Can anyone fill me in on some of the different neighbourhoods to consider? I'm 23 and would love to live by young and affluent people. I like the be close to diversity and some amazing businesses at my doorstep. Being nearby mass transit is a plus.

Does Vancouver need more Auto Body Repair shops? That’s the type of business that I want to open up over there. I’ll work on both foreign and domestic brands.

I’ll also have my Airplane Mechanics License by than with years of experience under my belt.

How does Vancouvers future look? Is the city on the decline or is it steadily improving through the years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 11:05 PM

82 posts, read 619,001 times
Default Vancouver continues to grow steadily

That being said, real estate, when you can find it, is some of the most expensive in Canada. #2 over all i believe.
Best place to find current real estate information (for all of Canada, in fact) is at www.mls.ca
It's an exceptionally reliable website, and the standard for real estate in Canada. real estate is extremly competitive in Vancouver, and be prepared to jump in fast and heavy. a 600 sqft condo in downtown Vancouver is about a half mill cdn. The public transit is great and services many of the surrounding communities.
If you've got your Air Frame Mechanic ticket, you'll likely have fewer probs with immigration and sponsorship, but you'll want to look closely at whether or not your certifications are recognized north of the border. Don't take anything from granted and the ten minutes to check could save you some major headaches. Cornerguy1 has put some great links to immigration sites for information in a number of posts recently, have a look around and I think you'll find those especially beneficial.
As someone looking to start a business in Vancouver, thats deffenitly something that will way in your favour with immigration. Vancouver is extremly affluent in many ways, and if it's what you're looking for, you can definitely find it there.
Check out whistler as well. It's like the US's Vale or Aspen but better (...sorry...just cant beat the terrain....not a nationality thing....) and an hour from downtown Vancouver.
One thing I would like to say about all of this:
As a Canadian born over seas, you're not likely to find a more patriotic flag waver in most regards. But it's by no means perfect, and we share a great many of the pro's and con's of American cities. Vancouver is, after all, a big city. A lot like Portland (i'm told). If it doesn't work out with Vancouver, you'll likely enjoy Seattle and Portland. Both have a great many of the things you probably enjoy about Vancouver.

Vancouver island is more for the outdoorsy crowd and is not as "metro" as Vancouver. It's better suited to families and retirees as side note.

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited by Moose Jockey USA; 03-20-2007 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: It's late, i'm tired, and my spelling is horrid. Mea Maxima Culpa

Old 03-23-2007, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 29,268 times
Hi AviTech.

Vancouver is truly a beautiful place (as you have discovered!).

Definitely MLS is a good place to look. Also www.AssignmentsCanada.ca has many listings - it's especially good for downtown apartments. I found a place on their site.

Gastown is a good area which is slowly gentrifying. Yaletown is definitely the most desirable at the moment - lots of new developments. Coal Harbour (near Stanley Park) has great views but can be pricey.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Jake

Old 04-07-2007, 11:53 PM

642 posts, read 2,551,459 times
Would Vancouver Island be the closest to downtown and University that is good for families? (Single Mom with a teen) I would think that it would be sooo expensive so I didnt bother looking at real estate there. You all give really good advice and info by the way!

Thanks

Old 04-08-2007, 11:56 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
Default coltoncity

As posted on another thread in reply to you:

The City of Vancouver and Vancouver Island are 2 entirely different entities.

The City of Vancouver is located on the British Columbia mainland in the south-west corner of the province.

Vancouver Island is located approximately 30 miles offshore. It is a very large land mass, being 286 miles long and 30-50 miles wide. The provincial capital city, Victoria, is located on Vancouver Island. Access to the City of Vancouver is usually by ferry (1.5 hours) or by airplane.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:12 AM

642 posts, read 2,551,459 times
I did not know it was so far away as 1.5 hours. I am sorry I asked twice about it but I dont believ I needed you to tell me it was a large land mass etc. I will not ask you about it again.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:31 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
Certainly no need to be so snarky.

You asked a question and I did my best to fully answer it.

I have no way of knowing your degree of knowledge, nor do I know which thread you'll come back to.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:59 PM

43 posts, read 191,931 times
vancouver has some of the highest crime rates in canada. people are paranoid. they lock the bathroom doors at mcdonalds. they have alot of construction jobs.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:48 PM

550 posts, read 2,825,079 times
I live here and have no paranoia. The only place I would lock the McDonalds door would be in the bad part of Hastings but there are no McDonalds there so I am not sure what you are talking about.

Quote:
Last summer I paid the city a visit and I left my heart in Vancouver B.C.
I did the same thing when I was 9 and visiting with my family. I told my grandma "I am going to live here some day" sure enough I pushed my husband to get a job here. That was 6 years ago and I still think it is the best place to live! If you want a 2 bedroom downtown you will need a lot of money. The price of homes here have gone way up and I am sure will continue to do so due to the Olympics coming.

Good luck, you are making an awesome choice!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:46 AM

2 posts, read 34,895 times
vancouver definitely paranoid. they leave their glove boxes open to show thieves there is nothing to steal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver