Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:13 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,048 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I know it rains a lot in Vancouver, but how heavy does it get? Cats and dogs? The person that I talked to said he doesn't have an umbrella because it's usually light showers all year round.

Also, what about snow during December and January?

I am trying to gather data before we make our decision to move there? I will be bugging you guys often in the near future.

Thanks!

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 09:28 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,940 times
usually when it rains in Vancouver, (which is often during the fall/ winter/ early Spring), it is quite light, though an umbrella is always handy. what i'm trying to say is, it rains often but when it rains, it is usually not a downpour. It is more a gloomy cloudy way that is often the case for many many days of the year in Vancouver- I lived in Southern CA at one point, and I think that (gloomy skies) may be an adjustment for you if you do move here.

i am originally from the US Pacific NW so it is basically the same weather here in Vancouver as in Seattle. So snow-wise, it occurs but it is generally light and much less than anywhere else in Canada. thus, when it does snow in Vancouver, the city often comes to a halt.

Spring and summer brings plenty of sunshine and mild very comfortable temperatures in Vancouver...we have had a great last couple weeks of non-stop dry, mild sunny weather.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,326 times
Well, I lived in Vancouver for 22 years and I certainly needed and used an umbrella. Maybe this "guy" that you talked to didn't have a professional job where he cared how he looked like when he arrived for work. Looking like a drowned cat wasn't my thing. Neither was sitting at my desk soggy and damp. Also depends on your method of transport to work. If you're lucky enough to go from your attached garage to underground parking lot at work, maybe you can get away with it. But standing by the side of the road waiting for the bus, you definitely want an umbrella, raincoat and rubber boots. Sometimes it was drizzle, sometimes rain, sometimes a downpour. And snow can happen later than January, but that was far less frequent than the rain.

I live in Perth Australia now where the weather is amazing, but from my personal experience, weather should not be the major factor in your decision for where you live. It's highly over-rated in the whole scheme of things.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:04 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
I know it rains a lot in Vancouver, but how heavy does it get? Cats and dogs? The person that I talked to said he doesn't have an umbrella because it's usually light showers all year round.

I am trying to gather data before we make our decision to move there? I will be bugging you guys often in the near future.
ImageShack - Image Hosting :: rainy.jpg
This picture came with a newspaper article. I'm reproducing it here coz it's no longer available online. [mod - pls feel free to delete and edit my post - Thanks ]

Quote:
Vancouver soon to be raining champion
Thu, January 12, 2006
By CP

TORONTO -- If you think our recent string of soppy weather has put a damper on winter fun and left the holiday cheer in a miserable puddle, thank your lucky stars you don't live in Vancouver.
Relentless rain is leaving Vancouverites in a funk.
A west-to-east flow of Pacific air has dumped enough rain on Vancouver that a record set in 1953 could be broken Monday after 29 consecutive days of precipitation.
"There's a certain joy in the rest of Canada to think you're going through that spell of miserable weather and the fact that we're benefiting from that," David Phillips, senior climatologist at Environment Canada, said yesterday from Toronto.
"Even in Winterpeg, it's clearly a Pacific air that they're getting and here in Ontario and the Maritimes, it's all across the country."
In Vancouver,driving to work can feel like you're stuck in a car wash with everybody else.
At least Vancouverites can look on the bright side and cheer for the chance to break the record, said Phillips.
"It would just add to your misery if it stopped raining on Saturday. I mean, who cares about coming second place?
"To break a record in Canada, there's a certain badge of honour to that," Phillips said. "It's like being Canadian, it's more valuable than a passport to say 'We lived during that bout of inclement weather.' "
http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/National/2006/01/12/1390005-sun.html
Heavy rain in Burnaby – 2006 June

YouTube - Heavy Rain / Hail in Burnaby BC Canada

Heavy Vancouver - 2007 June 24

YouTube - Heavy Vancouver Rain

Vancouver Rain – 2006 December

YouTube - Vancouver Rain

Vancouver Rain – 2007 December

YouTube - Vancouver rain

Old 05-24-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
2009 March 08 - Freak snow storm Vancouver

YouTube - Freak Snow Storm Vancouver 09

2009 March 08 - Snow in Vancouver

YouTube - Snow in Vancouver March 8th 2009

2009 January 04 - Vancouver snow at night

YouTube - Vancouver Snow At Night Jan 4, 2009

2008 December 25 - Vancouver snow clearing time

YouTube - VANCOUVER SNOW CLEARING TIME. DECEMBER 25, 2008

2007 January - Vancouver Snow Storm

YouTube - Vancouver Snow Storm

2008 December 26 - Vancouver Snow Storm

YouTube - Vancouver Snow Storm 2008

Old 05-25-2009, 12:52 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,940 times
keep in mind the youtube snow shots represent a shocking snow season this past winter in Vancouver, definitely not the norm....well hope it isn't what's going to be like in the future

Old 05-25-2009, 03:02 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,310,493 times

hard to belive we were blasted with so much snow in december

Last edited by GTOlover; 05-25-2009 at 03:14 AM..

Old 05-25-2009, 03:20 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,310,493 times

YouTube - Hummer vs. Ford

Old 05-25-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
keep in mind the youtube snow shots represent a shocking snow season this past winter in Vancouver, definitely not the norm....well hope it isn't what's going to be like in the future
From Tony Parson's 6 o'clock news, the 2007 Snow Storm was just as bad.
In 2009 March 08, we had a freak snowfall.
In 2008 March 28, we had one too, which I had forgotten. Here are photos from my album.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5353/2008mar28dscn7824.th.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-25-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Hummer vs Ford
Very funy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver