Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 22,529 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering relocating to the Vancouver area. My sister is looking in White Rock but we can't afford housing there. We have been told South Surrey is good for a family with young children and that it is safer than North Surrey. Where is the divide between North vs South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 12:33 PM

354 posts, read 1,217,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut88 View Post
My family and I are considering relocating to the Vancouver area. My sister is looking in White Rock but we can't afford housing there. We have been told South Surrey is good for a family with young children and that it is safer than North Surrey. Where is the divide between North vs South?
To hazard a guess I would say south of Hwy 10 (Langley excluded). Just FYI, White rock is South Surrey and essentially the Morgan Creek area east of Hwy 99 is considered South Surrey and its not any cheaper than White Rock. Tho there are a lot of developments out there that have lower price points as they offer smaller strata units.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:57 PM

676 posts, read 646,949 times
Surrey is not really "unsafe" especially compared with many areas in North America, particularly the States that people consider to be "unsafe". South Surrey's real estate $ is notably higher as it borders along Delta - quieter and more remote. Only area of Surrey I would avoid is Whalley near where the Skytrain is. I find parts of New Westminster to be worse.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:05 PM

53 posts, read 221,609 times
Although it is true that Surrey is not "unsafe" by North American standards, parts of it are unsafe by Canadian standards. The nicer parts of Surrey are going to cost around the same as housing in White Rock. I would strongly recommend looking just a touch eastward at Cloverdale and Langley. They are both safer than Surrey and housing is cheaper. Also, in my opinion they are more family oriented.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:42 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,483 times
South Surrey is more rural, larger properties, more spread out, ranchers, wineries, horses, mansions, etc. It spans approximately from Hwy 10 all the way to the USA border. "North Surrey" is a generic name for the rest of Surrey, typically north of Hwy 10... consists of a variety of neighbourhoods - Guildford, Newton, Whalley, Panorama Heights (I think that's what it's called), Cloverdale, etc.

Whalley is basically a seedy area known for white trash and drug addicts. In fact, Surrey holds a certain stigma for white trash here in Vancouver - not that it's necessarily accurate, but to some people it has that reputation. It mostly stems from Whalley. However, Surrey's a large, varied, and multicultural suburban sprawl of a city. White Rock actually split off from Surrey to form its own exclusive community along the beach and is technically no longer a part of Surrey.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:15 PM

29 posts, read 182,436 times
Default Good places for retirees?

Hi,

Are those places good for retirees? I am a retiree and want to move to Great Vancouver.

Thanks.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 21,632 times
The Fraser Valley Real Estate Board has reported over 1000 people are moving to Surrey each month. Surrey City Centre/ North Surrey /Whalley is undergoing major revitalization. Thanks to Mayor Diane Watts hard working efforts to rebrand Surrey City Centre you will soon see the new city hall, New RCMP headquarters, A brand new 30 Million Dollar state of the art Regional library, 840 Million Dollar critical care/Surrey out patient Hospital, 70 Million Dollar expansion of the Surrey Simon Fraser University Campus and a number of new single family and multi family builds which includes Westone Developments new Ultra Project. It is safe, clean, affordable, & growing.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-11-2010 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: real estate advertising removed

Old 08-15-2010, 08:08 PM

37 posts, read 106,689 times
I have lived in Surrey for a year if talking crime and quality of life best you move South. North is where Whalley is which is the worst part of town its seems that the further South you go the safer or better yet don't move to Surrey.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 25,090 times
Good! I found this web, on vancouver, I am looking for such good community whre I could relocate with my family, information to guide me, How is burnaby, coquitlam like in terms of house price? I am looking for townhome new built?

Old 11-13-2010, 09:37 PM

49 posts, read 547,079 times
Coquitlam and Burnaby are very good family oriented neighbourhoods. For Burnaby, I would avoid the Edmonds area. However, I prefer Coquitlam and Port Moody. House prices in those neighbourhoods are higher than Surrey but maybe the same or less than South Surrey. The only problem with Surrey is that you have to cross the bridge in order to get into the Vancouver proper area - whereas, Coquitlam, Burnaby, and Port Moody are all on the same landmass as Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver