Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:43 PM

23 posts, read 234,244 times

Advertisements

I just got back from 2 months in Orange County and I do not understand where this "Vancouver is boring" thing is coming from. Yes, L.A. is very exciting but boy do you pay for it in traffic (even in Beverly Hills which is absolutely gorgeous by the way)! I think Orange County is the place to retire and holy crap is it boring. Now don't get me wrong I love Orange County and intend on spending at least a few months of the year there from now on but it is all families and old people there. To illustrate my point I can tell you about all the traffic jams on the Hollywood 101 late Friday & Saturday nights. These are all Orange County people trying to get into the clubs in Hollywood as there's nothing to do out there. I am also one of those people who prefers 4 seasons (I just don't like the 6-7 months of winter that Canada is known for). I can totally see how SoCal (sunny every day) weather can get boring and please give me snow at Christmas! But to each their own I guess...for me half the year in Vancouver and the other half in OC would be ideal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 11:13 AM

71 posts, read 172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Vancouver,BC gets a somehat undeserved reputation for being a rainy city ....but it's only rainy in the winter ...it usually has fantastic sunny mild summers without the heavy oppressive humidity of the east ....(Ontario/Quebec/northeast USA) ...where it actually does rain alot all year is farther up the coast ...for example in the Prince Rupert, BC area .....Prince Rupert receives almost double the rainfall of Vancouver ....also it depends on where in the Vancouver area ...highest rainfall is near the mtns ...least is away from the mountains ...White Rock area gets the least rain.....
I assume that by "fantastic summers" you mean that pathetic stretch of 3 weeks w/o rain and temperature over 25C?

Vancouver - IS A RAINY CITY. It is. You would know it if you went to live elsewhere. I have lived in 3 countries and this place - it rains a LOT here. Generally starts raining at the end of September - April, then there is 2 good weeks when you think that spring is here only to be hit with 5C and rain for another 3 months (May June are HORRIBLE - last June (2010) it was 5C-10C and rain for the entire freakin' month). The summer starts at the beginning of July and ends at the end of August.

Please stop misleading people telling then it doesn't rain that much here when it does.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:26 PM

33 posts, read 67,110 times
Too funny,I hate living here...vancouver...rains 6 months out of the year..people get moody from lack of sunshine... as for the other 6 months...very mild temp and beautiful summers...very green lots of ocean and mountain views!

Old 01-25-2011, 10:33 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candygirl39 View Post
Too funny,I hate living here...vancouver...rains 6 months out of the year..people get moody from lack of sunshine... as for the other 6 months...very mild temp and beautiful summers...very green lots of ocean and mountain views!
That's why so many people leave for months out of the year. If you have the means to do it, it's highly advised to seek alternate employment/living situation for the winter months.
I actually moved away because even though the summers are awesome, those rainy winters just clawed at my soul and destroyed me..

Old 01-30-2011, 01:13 AM

545 posts, read 1,556,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
I hear it rains a lot. I'm from a place that snows a lot so I think rain would be a little better. But I'm just wondering, is it really that bad? how often does it rain? I'm thinking of either going to BC or California.
Once global warming kicks in, we'll be making a fortune selling our water to the US.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:28 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
Once global warming kicks in, we'll be making a fortune selling our water to the US.
I suspect water, oil, grain and jobs will be Canada's gold in the years ahead. This will draw Americans to your land, both legal and undocumented. As the climate patterns move north, so, I suspect, will the migration patterns. In addition, with the dysfunction and corruption currently taking shape in U.S. government and society, where the economic strata more and more distills into the super rich and majority poor, and where the government increasingly ignores or lies about the stark realities facing so many Americans, you may start to see a flood of Yanks sneaking across the Canadian border in the years ahead. Might start building that border fence now, and better build it deep so that Americans can't tunnel beneath it either.

But I digress. So what was that about Vancouver rain? Does it come with a house, a job and healthcare?

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-31-2011 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: grammar error

Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
I hear it rains a lot. I'm from a place that snows a lot so I think rain would be a little better. But I'm just wondering, is it really that bad? how often does it rain? I'm thinking of either going to BC or California.
I have traveled the world extensively and always return to Vancouver. The rain is a great bonus, as it keeps the many stenches (of the second most densely populated area of North America ) at bay. It is a young growing city; hence it lacks some of the old world charm other great city's are known for. Back to the rain... i wear shorts 365 days of the year (as long as your head and upper body are kept warm) You'll have no problems in Van. People are generally kind and friendly. The strangest thing of all though is that You can be watching the weather forecast on tele step out side to find the last remnants of rain evaporating from the streets and sidewalks + at times it will be raining on one side of the street and dry as the desert on the other. Summers are truly amazing and no matter what your sexual preference is there is always an abundance of eye candy (a nice bonus) I have become able to tell true Vancouverite's from others as the true'es never carry an umbrella. San Diego is nice but compared to Vancouver it is not even in the same league. Vancouver Rocks! p.s sorry about getting so verbose ;-)

Old 02-10-2011, 07:49 PM

31 posts, read 187,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitz47 View Post
I have traveled the world extensively and always return to Vancouver. The rain is a great bonus, as it keeps the many stenches (of the second most densely populated area of North America ) at bay. It is a young growing city; hence it lacks some of the old world charm other great city's are known for. Back to the rain... i wear shorts 365 days of the year (as long as your head and upper body are kept warm) You'll have no problems in Van. People are generally kind and friendly. The strangest thing of all though is that You can be watching the weather forecast on tele step out side to find the last remnants of rain evaporating from the streets and sidewalks + at times it will be raining on one side of the street and dry as the desert on the other. Summers are truly amazing and no matter what your sexual preference is there is always an abundance of eye candy (a nice bonus) I have become able to tell true Vancouverite's from others as the true'es never carry an umbrella. San Diego is nice but compared to Vancouver it is not even in the same league. Vancouver Rocks! p.s sorry about getting so verbose ;-)
Two things: #1 - I have lived here my entire life and it has been MY experience that "true" Vancouverite's actually own MANY umbrella's (we have them stashed EVERYWHERE - one at work, in the car, at home, mini one's in our purse, etc. Oh, and we NEVER throw out our old one because you never know when one will break and you'll need it). So I call BS to that. I don't use an umbrella when it's sprinkling but when it RAINS, I use an umbrella, like, DUH.

#2 - I have never, EVER seen it rain on ONE side of the street and be DRY on the other side of the street. Not once in 46 years.

Rain EVAPORATE from the street? Oh, I guess if it's underneath the heater at Starbucks........

Last word on the rain in Vancouver - look down - many of the sidewalks are actually GREEN come spring from being CONSTANTLY wet all winter (and no, it's not moss - it's SLIME). What does that tell you? 'Nuff said..........

Old 02-20-2011, 08:12 PM

29 posts, read 94,710 times
To clarify to those who do not know: the City of Vancouver is located in the "Pacific Temperate Rainforest" region of North America. For more info go to Parks Canada's link:Parks Canada - Pacific Rim National Park Reserve of Canada - Rainforest in Canada! Where?

Thanks to this wet climate, the surrounding forests are rich with cedars, douglas firs etc., and yields some of the largest trees in the world. It is no surprise that Vancouver was originally founded on the basis of Forestry and Logging and not on Tourism/Shopping/Dining .....

Old 02-21-2011, 09:38 PM

10 posts, read 51,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateblue View Post
I assume that by "fantastic summers" you mean that pathetic stretch of 3 weeks w/o rain and temperature over 25C?

Vancouver - IS A RAINY CITY. It is. You would know it if you went to live elsewhere. I have lived in 3 countries and this place - it rains a LOT here. Generally starts raining at the end of September - April, then there is 2 good weeks when you think that spring is here only to be hit with 5C and rain for another 3 months (May June are HORRIBLE - last June (2010) it was 5C-10C and rain for the entire freakin' month). The summer starts at the beginning of July and ends at the end of August.

Please stop misleading people telling then it doesn't rain that much here when it does.
This is true. Don't sugar coat it. Not worth the price IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver