Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:25 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times

Advertisements

I much prefer LA's Climate to Vancouver's by a long shot but I'd argue that Vancouver is a more scenically beautiful city. I don't really like the look of the mountains around LA. Compared to Vancouver, they look barren and brown even in the winter when it's supposed to be the wet season.

Last edited by deneb78; 09-16-2014 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 05:23 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Thanks God, Vancouver is nothing like LA.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 09-16-2014 at 05:34 AM..

Old 09-16-2014, 11:02 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
if you compare downtown Vancouver with downtown LA, Vancouver wins. If you compare their suburbs and places to go outside of the city, then LA is the winner without any doubt.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:49 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,774 times
Vancouver certainly seems like a small place compared to LA.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:24 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataGeek84 View Post

As for the person who denigrated LA for its lack of nature...have you spent any time here, dude? You'd be amazed that it isn't all Disneyland and Sunset Strip! At least check Google Maps before making yourself look foolish.

I almost feel bad coming down on Vancouver like this...almost ;-)
LOL.
For most Canadians, LA has nothing but Hollywood and freeways, has no public transit and is surrounded an ocean on the west and desert on all other three sides!

In reality, LA's rapid transit system is longer than Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. (141km vs about 68km for all three Canadian cities), mostly light rail.

And in terms of nature, a quick glance of the maps shows that LA has all the mountains on its north-east side. I don't know why Vancouverites tend to believe ocean and mountain nearby is something only their city has. Plus LA's beaches are swimmable 8 or 9 months of the year

Old 09-16-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
if you compare downtown Vancouver with downtown LA, Vancouver wins. If you compare their suburbs and places to go outside of the city, then LA is the winner without any doubt.
it is silly to compare downtown LA with anything.
LA is never about its downtown.

LA crushes Vancouver on all fronts. I don't even start to understand this thread.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:59 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Which city is more expensive to live? Can you make it on 50K a year in LA?

I make around 60K a year but the only reason I'm doing okay is because I don't have kids and inherited a place. Otherwise I'd be barely scrapping by.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:44 AM

81 posts, read 154,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
LA crushes Vancouver on all fronts. I don't even start to understand this thread.
Ugh well the person who started this thread either has their head up their ass or isn't very well traveled. Maybe it's both. Aside from strong film industry connections LA & Vancouver are nothing alike (I've lived in both cities) like other people have already stated if Vancouver has any similarities to an american city It's SAN FRANCISCO

However I disagree with you on a few points.

- Vancouver has much better density/walkability. + public transit in L.A. (not including the blue bus) is a complete joke. Even most people from other American cities recognize this.

- The air is significantly cleaner. You can really notice the difference when traveling between the cities.

- Crime rate is better in Vancouver. Although not perfect we don't have gangbanging thugs battling for turf and doing random drive by's for some idiots initiation into their gang. Baseball Hats don't have secret gang meanings either. It's better for families.

- English Bay > Santa Monica & Venice. Yes I said it. I can't stand the gross beaches of L.A. Too many drug addicts & seedy people. Much prefer the laid back vibe of Vancouver's beaches where everyone is sitting on the logs hanging out. It's more positive. Orange County & San Diego's beaches are a different story (I love them)

That being said I love both cities. L.A. obviously is more cultured and has more to offer for a younger person. I'll admit Granville street is a complete joke but that's not why I live here. The lush forests & beautiful hills are way more appealing to me to any of the entertainment options that L.A offers. To each his own

Old 09-17-2014, 07:11 AM

^ LA's problems you mentioned are usually associated with larger cities (LA is like 6-8 times the size of Vancouver). Transit is LA's weakness but it is improving fast, probably the fastest in North America.

Additionally, I don't understand the obsession with transit as if it is some sort of golden standard. I personally love using public transit and avoid driving but the culture is not always the same. Most people in LA prefer driving, and outside the tiny downtown, the majority of Vancouverites still need to drive, esp when not heading downtown.

The two cities are really not comparable. Too much size difference. It is like comparing Seattle to New York City. People who like small cities will always prefer Settle.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Which city is more expensive to live? Can you make it on 50K a year in LA?

I make around 60K a year but the only reason I'm doing okay is because I don't have kids and inherited a place. Otherwise I'd be barely scrapping by.
LA is surprising an affordably city compared to other major ones, especially the ones in Canada. Everything is cheaper in LA than in Vancouver, maybe with the exception of rent. $50k is OK for a single person but won't give you a lavish life for sure, but you will be able to rent in a decent place, drive a decent car and live a good life (won't end up saving much if you need to pay rent though because it is high).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver