Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:03 PM

349 posts, read 862,944 times

Advertisements

I think most veg*ns who do eat the faux meat eat it because it is familiar. We all know that hot dogs and burgers go in a bun, deli meat goes on bread with lettuce and mayo, etc. etc. Tofu and tempeh are unfamiliar, thus intimidating to some people. I think jumping into a veg*n diet can be difficult, and faux meats serve as an easy option. Although, I think that they should only be used for transitioning if at all because being veg*n won't be any fun- or healthy for that matter if you don't fully immerse yourself in all that it has to offer. I pretty much skipped the faux meat, and I think that is why I am still vegan to this day. Well, that and the amount of research I have done in the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,682 times
[quote=talloolla;27952175]I am not a vegan or vegetarian but meat and dairy makes up the largest part of my diet.
Oops! I meant to say meat and dairy make up the smallest part of my diet.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:12 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,749,743 times
I just made a delicious 1st time meal with Boca Original Chik'n Meatless Patties.

Chik'n Parmesan

I made a homemade tomato marinara sauce with onions, garlic,basil and green peppers.

I poured a little of the sauce in the bottom of a pan. Then I covered the bottom of the pan with patties, poured marinara sauce over all, covered with grated almond mozzarella vegan "cheese," on top another layer of patties, marinara sauce & top with grated vegan "cheese."

Baked 350F until hot & bubbly.

It was delicious!

Occasional treats like this have kept Mr. Bongo a happy camper in our veggie household! Probably high calorie, but we are very slender, healthy & athletic, so we eat a lot LOL! Yum!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:00 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
Bongo I do the same thing as far as cooking for my hubs...he loves the fake meat and I use it more of a garnish for his vegan meals. Not every day but it gives him the variety in his diet that he likes. I don't eat it or feel the same need...most of the fake meat has wheat in it so I cannot have it. My biggest objection to the fake meat is that it is so processed...but hubs says bring it on....he especially loves some of the vvegan fake meat products from Trader Joe's.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:48 PM

840 posts, read 1,146,736 times
I had the veggie protein quesadillas from Baja Fresh for lunch made with Gardein chicken fillet.

I think it's great. While it's not super healthy, I like knowing the fact I'm not supporting factory farms for my taste bud. And that's enough for me.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:11 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post
I had the veggie protein quesadillas from Baja Fresh for lunch made with Gardein chicken fillet.

I think it's great. While it's not super healthy, I like knowing the fact I'm not supporting factory farms for my taste bud. And that's enough for me.
Not supporting factory farms and the killing of animal is really all that I care about and if faux meats do that, I am all for them.

I myself eat them and since becoming a vegetarian, I have lost 15 lbs. my cholesterol levels are better, and my blood pressure is normal.

I really enjoy the meat analogs - not every day or with every meal but several times a week.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Not supporting factory farms and the killing of animal is really all that I care about and if faux meats do that, I am all for them.

My thoughts exactly! It's just like I don't really care what the reason is that a person is a vegan. Whether it is love for animals, health, or even because they think an alien came down from a UFO and told them to stop eating meat, it doesn't matter! Less animals being killed is what I care about!

Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I use them sometimes to have a wider variety of protein sources and because they are convenient. They don't make me want to eat meat again, no. It's been a year and I haven't looked back once.
That stuff has so much salt

Old 02-06-2013, 05:23 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
That stuff has so much salt

You have to read the labels. Not all of them do.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
I think the fake meat stuff is not all that healthy - it is very processed, a lot of it is high in fat and salt and things I can't pronounce....using it as a garnish for fresh vegetables is fine - sitting down and eating a whole package of gluten-soy based sausages or fake meat crumbles is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food