Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:28 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,061,697 times

Advertisements

No I would not....and not under any circumstances except perhaps starvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 11:39 AM

428 posts, read 1,185,305 times
no. I can't imagine eating meat, I'd have to be near death and even then I'd feel pretty crappy about it.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:35 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,344,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Hmmmm. Here's the conundrum, though: They're going to be shot anyway, for the sake of the local plants and animals.

Maybe it comes down to whether one thinks it's okay to cull an invasive species for the sake of native ones. Logically, I tend to think it is, especially when the invasive species is so destructive and predatory of the native ones. When they shot the goats on Galapagos, I cringed, but ultimately agreed with what they did. And it bothers me that these feral hogs are eating the eggs of endangered sea turtles.

So assuming that it's the right thing to do (and I know some folks will disagree), what happens to the meat?
If humans don't consume the meat, other creatures large and small will. In nature nothing goes to waste.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,451,918 times
If a person doesn't eat meat, why would it make any difference whether the source is invasive or not. There is no reason for that to cause a vegetarian to decide to add wild hog to their list of things to eat, even though it is delicious. Are you certain you aren't just looking for reasons to have such meat on your plate? Yes, that's it!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:18 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,212,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
If a person doesn't eat meat, why would it make any difference whether the source is invasive or not. There is no reason for that to cause a vegetarian to decide to add wild hog to their list of things to eat, even though it is delicious. Are you certain you aren't just looking for reasons to have such meat on your plate? Yes, that's it!

I knew sooner or later someone would come along and say something like that.

No, that's not it. If you read my OP thoroughly, you would have noted that I mentioned the various reasons people do not eat meat, the environment among them. I was just curious to see if those who don't eat meat for environmental reasons would not have a problem with it, because the reason these animals are being killed is because they are destructive to native ecology. If you read the entire thread, you'd have seen that I'm just making conversation because things are a little stagnant around here. And finally, I'm an adult. I don't need strangers on a message board to give me a reason to do, or not do, anything. If I want to eat something, I will eat it, and if I don't want to eat something, I won't eat it.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:11 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,737,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Trouble is, how do you cook a Sea Lamprey?
Like this:

Portuguese lamprey rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Are there any really good recipes for the dreaded Asian Carp?
Asian carp is not bad at all. It is very commonly eaten in China. They're very low in mercury too because they don't eat other fish.

They're already trying to get the public on board with eating them in some places:

Illinois' Solution to Asian Carp Invasion: Eat Them

They could sell them for very cheap.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,525,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
There are plenty of trigger happy hunters who love to kill feral pigs. Give the meat to the homeless shelter. That's what happens to some road kill moose around Anchorage.

Why would a vegetarian even want to consider the option of eating pig, feral or otherwise LOL!?
^^^^^ THIS!

No! I have no lust for bloody dead food. NONE. Nada.

And I am not for the wholesale slaughter of feral hogs. I am sure their presence and proliferation can be traced to some human error. What ever it's not their fault.

As much as I like nature, the hogs have feelings and the vegetation does not. Period.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,525,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Like this:

Portuguese lamprey rice

Asian carp is not bad at all. It is very commonly eaten in China. They're very low in mercury too because they don't eat other fish.

They're already trying to get the public on board with eating them in some places:

Illinois' Solution to Asian Carp Invasion: Eat Them

They could sell them for very cheap.

This is just so gross. They also eat dogs, cats and live insects in China. What they eat in China may well be the last way to interest me in eating it.

That photograph is disgusting.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:10 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,772,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Like this:

Portuguese lamprey rice

That is so funny I just threw up a little in my mouth. In fact I stumbled across a Lamprey recipe -- the French name translates as "Lampreys cooked in their own gore" -- that some high-class chef in New York serves at ruinous prices.

I think to sell Asian Carp they would have to seriously rebrand them. I think someone in Illinois is selling them as "Silversides."

Old 05-10-2013, 09:19 AM

532 posts, read 1,069,701 times
No: I try to avoid all blood, guts, skin, puss, and all that nasty stuff that has no business in my body, I don't care what its source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food