Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 05:56 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times

Advertisements

This was back in the early 60s. You would have thought I slapped her in the face. Caused a lot of friction when we went to dinner at their house, until Mom explained to her that I hated COOKED potatoes in any form; mashed, fried, baked. However, I liked RAW potatoes and even ate them as a snack. Peeled, cut, put in ice water in the fridge. I would not only eat them like this for dinner, but I would even snack on them.

When Mom told my Irish Aunt this she beamed, blessed herself, and said, "From the Good Earth as the Lord Intended". From that time on when we went to dinner, my Aunt would always set aside raw potatoes for me to eat, and snack on.

It went beyond raw potatoes with me as a child. I preferred ALL veggies fresh, and uncooked. Even today as a Senior, the most gross food for me is canned, frozen, soggy, limp veggies. Yuck. I buy all fresh veggies, and the most I cook them today is in a stir fry. I still prefer fresh, raw veggies, especially in a salad.

Having worked for years in public schools with young children I have found that this is not uncommon. Give them raw, fresh veggies and they will eat them. Soggy, cooked to death veggies, and they go in the garbage.

Think RAW for you and yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 12:26 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Well, there is a lot of territory in between raw and "cooked to death." Although I confess I have enjoyed a few raw potatoes myself. They also helped Corrie ten Boom survive her imprisonment at Ravensbruck during WWII.

One favorite raw veggie of mine that many would not dream of eating is raw beets. People who turn green at the thought of eating them love them when I don't tell them that's what they're eating.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
This was back in the early 60s. You would have thought I slapped her in the face. Caused a lot of friction when we went to dinner at their house, until Mom explained to her that I hated COOKED potatoes in any form; mashed, fried, baked. However, I liked RAW potatoes and even ate them as a snack. Peeled, cut, put in ice water in the fridge. I would not only eat them like this for dinner, but I would even snack on them.

When Mom told my Irish Aunt this she beamed, blessed herself, and said, "From the Good Earth as the Lord Intended". From that time on when we went to dinner, my Aunt would always set aside raw potatoes for me to eat, and snack on.

It went beyond raw potatoes with me as a child. I preferred ALL veggies fresh, and uncooked. Even today as a Senior, the most gross food for me is canned, frozen, soggy, limp veggies. Yuck. I buy all fresh veggies, and the most I cook them today is in a stir fry. I still prefer fresh, raw veggies, especially in a salad.

Having worked for years in public schools with young children I have found that this is not uncommon. Give them raw, fresh veggies and they will eat them. Soggy, cooked to death veggies, and they go in the garbage.

I am with you, but I do have to say, I love potatoes anyway. I also prefer most veggies raw or crisp tender at the most. The only canned veggies we keep in the pantry is corn, to be used for some salads once every year or so and I do keep some canned beans in case of emerganies. We grow as much as we can during the summer. If we have grown it, I might can some like tomatoes for soups etc.

We do volunteer work with young chidren once a week> We spend an hour with them, both eating lunch and going to recess. Most of them will eat their raw veggies but never eat their canned beans, or any other canned veggies except for corn.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:53 AM

108 posts, read 146,709 times
Are you loved Veggies so much why?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:58 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Old 06-01-2015, 03:02 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
How do you find raw taro?

I suppose some things aren't meant to be eaten raw.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:02 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Nope, I don't think she would have slapped you. The Irish, like many nationalities, love or hate potatoes with about the same frequency. They just happen to grow really well in their wet, rocky, soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food