Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:08 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times

Advertisements

I haven't gotten a chance to read all the back postings, but it seems that most of us are vegetarian because of our love for animals.

So I'm curious~do you have pets? We've always had some. Our most recent set of "babies" were three cats. Unfortunately, we just lost our second girl to cancer the end of July. She was a beautiful long-haired blonde and she has the best little soul. We have our little boy left and he just turned 16 this month. He has a few health problems, but is doing fairly well except he seems so lost without the girls. (all neutered of course)

So do the rest of you also have "pet families"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:18 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I am not a vegetarian but could be easily but not hubby--he's a meat and potatoes guy!
Yes, we have, in the past had basically a mini farm, chickens, rabbits etc. Hubby, being raised on a farm was hoping to introduce the kids to raising animals and eating them. Didn't happen! Our animals die only of old age!
Since our move across country, 3,000 miles we brought our cat family and my parrot all of which live happy long lives!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:53 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times
I grew up with dogs. I can't remember a time when there wasn't one around.

Now we have a big old tomcat and two ferrets. The cat was my wife's, and we got the ferrets together. They've all been from rescues. Two of them have shuffled off to Ferretopia, one just a month or so ago. He was out first, and we had him for close to seven years. The other two are playmates, about the same age. We got them when our oldest, Snowball, lost *his* playmate, hoping having some other fuzzies around would lift his spirits. No luck ... he wanted nothing to do with them. He'd fight with them, and then he'd scream and run away. So they always had separate rooms and playtimes. Crazy!

When my wife and I get out to Seattle and settle down in a house of our own (we're just renting out here), I'm sure we'll get some dogs again. She loves huskies and bulldogs, and I'm partial to hounds. It could end up being quite a menagerie.

Jammie, my condolences on losing your cat. Having just lost one of our ferrets recently, I know what the loss of a loved pet is like ...

Old 08-26-2008, 12:36 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
We have had dogs and cats in the past and now have 2 male cats. We used to volunteer at a shelter before we moved and the most we ever had at one time were 7 cats. And at one time we had 3 dogs and cats! But all the dogs have died and the kitties, too and we are now down to 2 cats. We decided to stick with only 2 for now, because we can now go away for the weekend and not get a sitter, which is hard when you have more.
Can't imagine not having at least one or two cats!!!

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Sorry Jammie, for the loss of your pet.

We grew up with lots of different kinds of pets - dogs, cats, horses, hamsters, goats, frogs. There was a period of about ten years where I didn't have a pet...gawdwilling, that will never again happen (at least by my preference).

Now, I have one little pup who's been with me for over twelve years. I don't know what I'd do without him. And there's a little neighborhood cat whom we've all been taking care of, but he refuses to stay in the house. He only comes in if you're preparing food for him. Actually, he and my dog get along together very well!

I was on his "kill list" for weeks because I took him to the vet to get his shots...thereafter, he looked at me just like this:

I though this pic was pretty funny, since it looks exactly like him. Truly, he would give me the evil eye, turn around and run. He lets me pet him now, though.

In time, I will have several pets!

Old 08-26-2008, 03:23 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
I have three shelter rescued cats, one moved with me from California and two I adopted here in Wyoming. I would adopt more, but the city has a four pet limit within city limits and I want to add a Border Collie to the pack....

I am a vegetarian, by the way, not a vegan--I love cheese (veggie rennet cheese), can't live without it, would probably take someone out during withdrawls.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,910,487 times
I've always had animals. My father was a dog trainer in the Army K-9 Corps during WWII and after the war he opened a kennel and training facility for field trial dogs. He was also a wildlife rehabilitator, and growing up I cared for fox, opossum, skunks, racoons, deer--you name it, we had it.

As an adult, I've had or cared for dozens of dogs and cats, fish, raccoons, turtles, snakes and birds. I currently have 4 dogs and one cat and I volunteer for a dog rescue.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:03 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Thank you on the condolences and I'm sorry to hear about your ferret, Destination. Our pets have always been family and you all probably know that they will definitely ACT like it, too.

I'm in search for another furry one to give our love to and share our home with. It will never replace the one we just lost, but it'll bring us joy and we'll be able to give another animal a loving home. My little remaining furball is so lonely cause he's always had others to be with. I'm looking for a kitty or grown cat who would be homeless.

SeeBee, you snapped that pic at the perfect time. It is SO cute.
Just in case everyone isn't aware of this~SeeBee was the original promoter for us to have our own spot here and I thank her for that.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:00 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
SeeBee, you snapped that pic at the perfect time. It is SO cute.
Oh, sorry to mislead anyone here with that pic. My friend sent it to me in an email, so I don't know if she took it, or where she got it from. I should've made that clear -

Old 08-27-2008, 02:02 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
Yes, We always had pets growing up. When I moved out I got a cat and it has grown throughout the years and I have 3 pets now. But we had 8 pets at one time for a while a few years back. Our pets are our children. We love, love, love them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food