Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Decision to become vegetarian, vegan lifestyle, non-meat eaters, interested person seeking information on decision to become vegetarian, education on vegetarian lifestyle

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:02 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I just want to learn.

I understand those who don't like any meat. I understand diet issues. I understand those who believe it is cruel, see'n the vid's who wouldn't.......but I can show you much different.....then again that is another issue.

Why is it all veg/vegan or nothing? Is it a group you want to belong to? I know meat can be bad for you, anything can be bad for you if not in moderation.

I just want to know, why is it all(veg) or your "out"?

Also, why not teach others of your ways? Why is it that someone who eats meat can get no response? 'Cause they disagree?

I'm on here to learn, I'm also on here to educate.

This is a serious thread as I do want to learn.

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 12:49 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
Well, I think there are actually a lot of people that are "almost" vegetarians. But you don't hear about them because they don't have a label. Why is the label important? It probably isn't to a great number of us, but it is needed so that people can know quickly and easily what we eat.

But people that make the switch totally...there is some challenge in it, since so much of our country is meat eating, so there is that aspect. Then there are a lot of people who feel very passionately about the reason they gave up meat and therefore adhere strictly to the diet. Another aspect is that on the average, vegetarians really educate themselves--for multiple reasons--so they find out information that makes their little tummies turn. That is why you will find that a lot of veggies, who aren't junkfood veggies, also strive to eat all whole foods.

As for not answering meateaters' questions, well, overall I think we are all understanding around here. If you are talking about the PETA thread, well that is a very politically-charged thread and you shouldn't feel too bad about any insults hurtled.

Please understand that almost all of us have been made to feel bad about our dietary choice. But I at least understand that the "meateaters" that are truly mean about it are a big minority. Please understand that any vigilante vegetarian is just that as well.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:30 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
I can't rep you crazy, but well said.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:49 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I just want to know, why is it all(veg) or your "out"?
It's not. I've never said that to anyone, much less heard anyone else who's a vegetarian or a vegan say that.

Quote:
Why is it that someone who eats meat can get no response? 'Cause they disagree?
What kind of responses are posted when someone asks why do you eat meat? Do you think I'd get a serious response if I posted that question? I doubt it. More like moronic jokes about People Easting Tasty Animals, or 'yeah, I believe in animal rights, right next to my mashed 'taters. Haha...' Good lord, does anyone really think that's an original joke?

Did you read where a Mod said that would happen? I guess I have too much faith in the reasonableness of people. It's probably a bad habit.

I, for one, just needed a break with that juvenile, dull-spirited c#*p. George Carlin is (was) a funny guy, and folk should leave the hilarity to someone who's good at it. People who post those kinds of responses are neither funny, nor clever. It just gets old, Capt., that's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
...I just want to know, why is it all(veg) or your "out"? ....
I just thought I would point out that this is a very common debate within the vegetarian/vegan culture. It definitely not all "you're either in or your out" mentality, although it is for sure for some veggies. I for one just can't give up marshmallows while camping! I can't do it! I feel like I should put a stronger effort in finding vegetarian ones, though...

Old 10-16-2008, 07:17 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I just thought I would point out that this is a very common debate within the vegetarian/vegan culture. It definitely not all "you're either in or your out" mentality, although it is for sure for some veggies. I for one just can't give up marshmallows while camping! I can't do it! I feel like I should put a stronger effort in finding vegetarian ones, though...
I guess I don't know what marshmallows are made of, never thought of it as we don't eat them much.

If you like marshmallows and they are against a vegetarian diet, then why give them up.......unless you eat boxes/bags at one sitting. Do you need the label of vegetarian? I read, here and other forums, that people have a hard time giving up something to be vegan/vegetarian.....why? I don't like peas, does that mean I can't eat any veggies? I don't like tuna, does that mean I can't eat any fish? Well, No as those que's are a bit radical. I could go real radical and say that I don't like organic as they "use" people to hand pick veggies........now that WAS radical! I'm not like that cause that isn't true.

I'm just try'n to understand, as I'm sure most are try'n to understand why I raise and eat meat. I really am try'n to learn.

I'm not try'n to convert anyone, really...what do I care? To each their own. I just don't know why someone would not eat marshmellows(only as an example) because they are vegetarian. I ask you NOT to overeat marshmellows as that would be bad for you, but if you only eat them when camping..........and that is something you have to give up? I don't believe in texting(can't do it anyway), do I give up my phone? I don't believe in drink'n & drive'n, do I give up beer?(oh, he!! no!) I don't believe in abortion, do I give up sex? Am I make'n a point? Probably not. Will I stop? Not soon enough for many.

BTW - smores are those gram/choc/marsh sandies aren't they? I think they are nasty.......but i don't care for chocolate.

take care
capt.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:46 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
I guess I don't know what marshmallows are made of, never thought of it as we don't eat them much.
Marshmallows are made from gelatin, which is made from connective tissue and various other animal by-products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. CaveMan View Post
If you like marshmallows and they are against a vegetarian diet, then why give them up.......unless you eat boxes/bags at one sitting.
I gave them up because I don't eat any foods containing meat.

Quote:
Do you need the label of vegetarian? I read, here and other forums, that people have a hard time giving up something to be vegan/vegetarian.....why?
Why would I need a label? And, for me, there was nothing difficult about becoming vegetarian.

Quote:
I don't like peas, does that mean I can't eat any veggies? I don't like tuna, does that mean I can't eat any fish? Well, No as those que's are a bit radical. I could go real radical and say that I don't like organic as they "use" people to hand pick veggies........now that WAS radical! I'm not like that cause that isn't true.
I don't like cauliflower, but that doesn't mean I eat meat instead. "Not liking" something is not the same as choosing not to eat something. And "not liking" one particular food in a food group doesn't mean you have to give up the entire food group.

Quote:
I'm just try'n to understand, as I'm sure most are try'n to understand why I raise and eat meat. I really am try'n to learn.
Really? It doesn't come across that way to me.

Quote:
I'm not try'n to convert anyone, really...what do I care?
And I'm not trying to convert you. The question is, if you don't care, then why are you stressing about this?

Quote:
To each their own. I just don't know why someone would not eat marshmellows(only as an example) because they are vegetarian. I ask you NOT to overeat marshmellows as that would be bad for you, but if you only eat them when camping..........and that is something you have to give up?
Well, I've explained the whole marshmallow thing. And, last I checked, there's no "vegetarian police" following people around and citing them for not following a strict veg diet. No one HAS to give up anything -- it's a choice that people make. You CHOOSE to eat meat, I CHOOSE not to.

Quote:
I don't believe in texting(can't do it anyway), do I give up my phone? I don't believe in drink'n & drive'n, do I give up beer?(oh, he!! no!) I don't believe in abortion, do I give up sex? Am I make'n a point? Probably not. Will I stop? Not soon enough for many.
No.

Quote:
BTW - smores are those gram/choc/marsh sandies aren't they? I think they are nasty.......but i don't care for chocolate.
S'mores are made with graham crackers, chocolate, and melted marshmallows.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:57 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Even Amazon sells vegan marshmallows

Amazon.com: Handmade Vanilla Marshmallows: Grocery (http://www.amazon.com/Lauras-Candy-Handmade-Vanilla-Marshmallows/dp/B000GBQABQ/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1224251733&sr=8-1 - broken link)

Pretty much any health food store carries them these days and try Whole Foods, if there is one near you.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-17-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Even Amazon sells vegan marshmallows

Amazon.com: Handmade Vanilla Marshmallows: Grocery (http://www.amazon.com/Lauras-Candy-Handmade-Vanilla-Marshmallows/dp/B000GBQABQ/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1224251733&sr=8-1 - broken link)

Pretty much any health food store carries them these days and try Whole Foods, if there is one near you.
I never thought about ordering online until I posted... as for the stores, I always live in small towns, and none of the coops I have belonged to over the years have carried them. I could probably order them, but never trying them, I didn't want to be responsible for my coop buying a bunch of horrible marshmallows!

Old 10-17-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:

If you like marshmallows and they are against a vegetarian diet, then why give them up.......unless you eat boxes/bags at one sitting.

Well, like I said, I consider myself a vegetarian--I don't eat any kind of meat, meat broth, etc. However, I still eat marshmallows, I haven't given them up. I just feel like I should put more effort in getting vegetarian ones. I have always been a bit lax on gelatin. At first I didn't realize what it was made of. But now I eat so little of it that I tend to let it slide once in awhile.

It is up to each person on how strict they want to be. Any flap over calling yourself a vegetarian and eating chicken or fish is that it ends up confusing the general public, causing problems for people that are strict vegetarians. For example, I am invited to a dinner party with some new friends or coworkers. I tell my host that I would love to come, but that I'm a vegetarian. The host says that isn't a problem at all and I accept. Except for the host's only interaction with vegetarians before was someone who said they were one but ate shrimp or chicken or whatever meat. So now I come to dinner and the host has worked hard on preparing a meal that they thought I could eat, but can't. Now I am stuck in a uncomfortable situation--do I eat something I'm against eating? Or do I tell the host the situation and we both feel bad/embarrassed?

Now you might ask what is the big deal in just eating the meal? Because it goes against my beliefs and the lifestyle I have chosen. It is more than just deciding you don't like to eat something. It is a total lifestyle change and choice and becomes part of who you are. This might be a little difficult to understand, because you have always ate meat and always will--there was no choice, and your dietary habits are in the majority.

Like I said before, there are plenty of people who are "mostly vegetarians" meaning that they eat fish or they try to eat vegetarian most of the time but do eat meat a few times a month. There are also plenty of people who have been veggies and then started eating meat again. As for new vegetarians "struggling" with not eating meat, it is most likely a case of really wanting to cut out meat totally for whatever reason (religious, ethics, health), but are having are hard time changing habits. Just like someone trying to change to a healthier diet but are having a hard time cutting out refined sugar.

As for why some of us decided to go to the dark side(), check out the "Why you became vegetarian/vegan" thread (I'm paraphrasing the thread title, but it is along those lines). Often there is a big, long story on why one become a veggie, so people might not want to repeat themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food