Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 08:17 AM

47 posts, read 157,436 times

Advertisements

I notice when I am buying bell peppers that, the green bell peppers are usually a lot cheaper than the orange or red bell peppers. Can someone tell Me what besides the color is the difference between eating green and eating orange or red bell peppers? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 08:27 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
From my experience the red peppers are a bit sweeter less bitter. I have heard that they contain more vitamin C, because they are allowed to ripen fully. All peppers start out green. There are also yellow and orange peppers.
Check out this link for lots of info :
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=50

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I like the green ones best.

Sprouts often has great deals on red/yellow/orange peppers for 69 cents each.

Have you seen the purple peppers? They are pretty, but watch out.. if you cook them they turn green. They taste like green peppers too.

Diet-wise, it is most healthy to eat a variety of veggies/fruits from all the different colors.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:45 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,789 times
My grocery store sells all three colors loose and in packs of three, one each color. The package is labeled "Traffic Light Peppers"

Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 AM

424 posts, read 1,675,844 times
As stated earlier, all bell peppers start out green...the ones sold as green are picked and sold earlier in their growing cycle. They may be up their full size, but have not started changing color yet. Depending upon the variety, if you let them grow longer they will begin to change color. Because additional time is involved, that means additional resources have to be applied to yield those colored peppers. Additional time means more labor to maintain, fertilize, mulch, etc., as well as the additional water, energy costs, fertilizer, etc. that will be required in the extended growing cycle. Also because of the additional time those peppers are allowed to remain on the plants, the risks associated with some mishap will increase, such as weather, plant disease, insect, and other types of damage. People like the colored peppers and are willing to pay a premium; the growers have more invested in keeping the peppers on the plants for later harvest, so as a result the price to consumers will be higher.

Last year I finally located some bell pepper plants (they were hard to find for because many nurseries had to cut back on what they propagated due to drought and watering restrictions on their greenhouse operations AND in the sales areas to which home gardeners were subjected). I had pretty good luck. The one that REALLY surprised me was called a Gypsy pepper...nice elongated pods...up to 8 inches long, that turned beautiful red, yellow and orange if allowed to mature fully. Gypsy pepper is actually a variety of bell peppers. Another variety I liked was Big Bertha.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:22 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,113 times
Taste
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food