Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 04:36 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,481 times

Advertisements

Okay, I just need a sympathic ear(s). I am invited to a small dinner party. It was a "if there is one person that can't come, I'm not going to have it" kind of invite. My husband and I are the only vegetarians and the hostess said that she would make a seperate dish for us. This is fine--we have never had a problem with people around us eating meat. However, I now find out the main entree for everyone else is steak!

I'm so torn. Really, I don't care what others eat and I believe it shouldn't be my issue, but at the same time it just feels so rude to serve everyone else steak at a small dinner with veggies in attendence! And steak is one thing that really grosses me out and then to be surrounded by a whole table eating it...ugh! I don't even want to go anymore, but feel obligated to. So I will go and tough it out, but if everyone else was so insensitive (they hardily and eagerly agreed to steak), I'm dreading what the actual meal conversation may be.

Thanks for being a virtual ear and wish me luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 PM

179 posts, read 480,811 times
You'feel it's rude to eat a steak with a veggie in the room? If you're being that sensitive I don't see how you can ever manage to get along socially with non-vegetarians.
I can undertsand thta you find a bloody steak pretty appaling and you're probably be right about the "dinner conversation", seems like that there's alwaysModerator cut: someone who feels the need to let you know how badly you're missing out on that great piece o meat blah blah blah, but WTF, just don't be a sissy and tough it out. Or if you don't like these people anyway, why bother even going in the first place.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-23-2009 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 04-23-2009, 05:32 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,683 times
Wait, so the hostess has agreed to shop and cook not only what she wants to serve--steak, but also make an entirely different meal for you. And SHE'S insensitive? So she's supposed to not only shop and cook for a different meal for you, but also give you a call and find out what meat options are acceptable to you before she cooks them for the other guests??

You are being very selfish and unreasonable, not her.

btw, I should add that I am a veggie too, and I am really touched when people go out of their way to make something veggie for me. I would never for a moment criticize what they're making for others!! In fact, I feel guilty when they go out of their way for me--one meal at a dinner party is enough to plan for!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:37 PM

177 posts, read 757,559 times
Sorry crazyme, I am a vegetarian also but I think the hostess has already been accomodating for you and your husband. Most people would just figure you could eat the salad and side dishes or whatever.

I appreciate your commitment to the lifestyle, but there is a little give-and-take involved. For my dad's birthday, we usually end up at a steakhouse. It's not what I want, but it's HIS day. I get a big salad and dessert, and make the day special for him.

If this is truly against your morals and beliefs, skip the dinner. Otherwise, thank the hostess for her generosity in cooking separately for you, and put on a happy face. You'll win the respect of the carnivores if you brush off their jests and have a good time.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:36 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,481 times
Like I said before, normally I don't care what others are eating. I even bought meat when my sister and niece came to visit. It's just that she told me if I wasn't going to come, she was going to cancel the whole thing (I was the last to commit b/c of my hubby's work schedule). I don't know why I feel that it is rude, but I do and I am a bit...hmm..not offended, but...I don't know what it is. So it is like I don't have much option in not coming at this point because she is planning it and everyone has lined up babysitters and such, but this is just turning out to be the dinner party I don't want to go to.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:04 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,436,584 times
Crazyme, I would skip the dinner....just my 2 cents. We were invited to a Thanksgiving dinner this year and thought about going... but the thought of the dead turkey, dead pig and I think they had some other type of animal flesh... was such a turn off, we knew we would not enjoy it, especially because people ALWAYS make comments to us about NOT eating meat, so then I have to end up biting my tongue... we just stayed home and enjoyed a nice meal I made for us and were glad not to be confronted with dead animals all evening. People just don't seem to get it. If they love dogs, would they want to go to a party where dead dogs are served on the plate next to you? Probably not...
Well, some of us feel that way about all animals. I don't try to stop people from eating what they want, but I sure don't want to have a front row seat either.

Do what you feel is the right thing for you.

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,994 times
Interesting. I don't care if people eat meat. It doesn't bother me. I don't eat meat, but I'm not going to force that on someone else. If they want to eat raw meat, I don't mind.

I'm happy not eating meat. I'm not making that choice for someone else.

I agree, go to the dinner, enjoy it, and don't worry about what other people are eating. They aren't going to stick in your mouth.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,111 times
I thought I knew how I would answer this after reading through the thread earlier, then I read Katz's answer and now I have no idea...

BUT, I was going to tell you that the hostess/chef simply does not think of food and animals as you or we do. Her meal choice is not against you at all.

When and if people ask what on earth you DO eat, talk about all the wonderful meals you cook up and invite the party to your place next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food