Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 PM

42 posts, read 94,456 times

Advertisements

I have been contemplating various offers and finally got over the sticker shock and taxes (blech) and decided to take a role in Camarillo. I visited there and stayed in Ventura at the Crowne Plaza and went to some bars downtown and an Irish Pub there as well. Also drove around to the outlets out in Camarillo...all in all, I liked the area, thought it was very pretty and different from other places I've lived (Detroit, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Wichita, now McKinney/suburban Dallas). I'm looking forward to the various festivals and activities there to partake in.

Background: I have a family of four. Wife and I, 2 children. my wife and I are both 30 and we have a 3 year old boy and 9 year old girl (elementary school and middle schools are important but by high school, we should be on to the next promotion)

We're relatively open to where to live but would like to spend $3K/month or less on rent. Obviously good schools are important also. I didn't see a ton of black people while out there, which is fairly common for the places I've lived, but I just want to be sure my kids aren't extreme minorities where they're the only black person in their class or anything.

I've seen a battle on here of people stating Oxnard is good and some stating it's a crime haven (me being from Detroit, I'm sure nothing is likely worse)...still I think I've read enough dissenting opinions that I basically won't be able to judge Oxnard until I go and see it.

My wife has seen jobs in LA at USC & UCLA that interest her. I don't know how the drive is from Ventura county to LA or if the train is truly a viable option? Please let me know what that commute is like. Otherwise she may need to wait for a job closer to home.

A friend of mine who used to live there, mentioned to avoid Port Hueneme (didn't say why really).

I just would like an area with nice neighbors, not terribly conservative and a good sense of community with families around so the kids have playmates basically.

Sorry for the extra long post...thanks for you guys' insight in advance!

Last edited by rooch; 04-06-2012 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 11:12 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,093,812 times
Without knowing anything else about what you're looking for I'd recommend the Conejo Valley, which is a community that is in both Ventura and Los Angeles county. The cities in the community are Thousand oaks, Westlake Village, Agoura Hills and half of Calabasas. Its the safest community in the area and its also home to the best schools in the area, its also the closest to West LA/Downtown LA.

As far Oxnard, its nothing like Detroit, its just the highest crime area of Ventura County. There are plenty of safe neighborhoods throughout Oxnard. But the schools in Oxnard aren't that good and its primarily a Hispanic community (75% Hispanic).

Commute to USC/UCLA would be a nightmare from Ventura/Oxnard and is bad from Thousand Oaks and Simi Valley (which are the closest to LA). Its not so much the distance that kills it, but rather that there is effectively a wall of traffic that prevents folks in north LA/Ventura county from easily commuting to West LA/South of downtown LA.

As far being the extreme minority, depending on what neighborhood/city you pick that is definitely a possibility. Ventura County is only 1.8% black and a good number of those aren't families, but instead young individuals associated with military base in the area. But the Los Angeles area, especially North Los Anegles, doesn't have a large black community. Anyhow, the only city I would suggest you avoid is Simi valley, its rather conservative and has a track record of racism.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:53 AM

Thanks! Regarding the drive...is the train a viable option into LA? Obviously she'd sacrifice some time, but could be worth it to not deal with the wall of traffic! Also what are your thoughts on Camarillo ? I want to at least consider it since it could put me 10 minutes or less from work. Also how's the drive TO Camarillo from the cities you mentioned (during work hours of course)

Old 04-07-2012, 10:28 AM

The train is a viable option into LA, but it can take awhile. But the train doesn't go into West LA, so you'd have to transfer to a bus if you were going into that area. Commuting in the LA area is challenged by the mountains, West LA is separated from the San Fernando Valley by a mountain range and there is only one highway that connects them. So you have to think of things differently than flat cities like Dallas. If you're commuting to LA the only area I'd consider in Ventura County is the Conejo Valley. The commute is still bad and I wouldn't recommend it, but it can work.

Camarillo is okay. Its safe, has good schools, etc. Camarillo neighbors the Conejo Valley, the only issue is that its separated by a mountain range and there is typically traffic over it. But still, commuting between Camarillo and the Conejo Valley shouldn't take too long.

Personally I prefer the Conejo Valley because I like the natural setting, its in a valley with beautiful mountains and filled with oak trees. Its a ~30 minute drive over the weekend to the key amenities in Los Angeles (Museums, Theaters, Clubs, etc). Its an old ranching area and still maintains a lot of open space and so on. But you can find safe neighborhoods and good schools throughout Ventura County, so its going to come down to your preferences. The only cities I would perhaps exclude is Simi Valley (for the above mentioned reason) and Oxnard due to a lack of good schools. As can be seen here:

Oxnard Schools - Oxnard, CA | GreatSchools

Oxnard doesn't have any great schools. On the other hand, almost all schools in Thousand Oaks (and other cities in the Conejo Valley) are good:

Thousand Oaks Schools - Thousand Oaks, CA | GreatSchools

The schools in the other cities are hit/miss, that is some are good and some are bad, so you have to look closely and which schools are connected to the neighborhoods you're considering.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:42 AM

107 posts, read 278,562 times
rooch,
I'm looking at relocating this summer and I have two kids age 7 and 9, so the school issue has been a big one for me. I have found this to be useful (along with greatschools.com):
County Academic Performance Information & News from Ventura County Star (Ventura, CA)

Its an interactive map of the area that color codes the schools by API test scores. Green is the highest performing, then blue. I know test scores are not everything, but since I don't have the local knowledge to know any better, I'm not even going to consider a school that isn't green or blue. You can also click the school and get the full report that also includes demographic information.

According to this map Oxnard only has two schools that are blue and no green. I'm focused mostly on Ventura right now, but I wont have to commute to LA, so it might be too far for you. I haven't been to any of these places yet, so this could change after a visit, but so far I haven't found much to be excited about in Camarillo. Not that its bad, but it just seems kind of blaahh. Of course being close to work is a huge plus, so that would tip it to the move favorable side if I was in that position.

I think Thousand Oaks leads in my Plan B right now. I'm not much of a fan of Master Planned Suburbia, but if you are going to do it, do it right and TO seems to have it down. Excellent schools, a lot of preserved open spaces, a good parks and recreation dept., sports, shopping, etc.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 AM

As far suburbia, Ventura County as a whole is suburbia mixed with farming/rural space. Though Ventura does have one area, namely the downtown area, that feels somewhat urban the city as a whole is just as suburban as the others. So unless you're living in that area, the is little difference in the level of "suburbia" from city to city. Its just a question of which sort of suburbia you prefer..

Old 04-08-2012, 10:36 PM

107 posts, read 278,562 times
Yeah, I guess youre right. I think in my mind TO seems more "planned" and more stereotypical suburban, if that makes any sense, but that's an outsiders view. I can't wait to get down there and check it out for myself.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,226,806 times
I'm jealous of you. I moved from Camarillo to Dallas (Frisco). Best of luck to you in your search.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 AM

Jealous of me? Sheesh--I'm pissed about taxes and small housing that costs an arm and 3 legs!

While it's beautiful out there (moreso than Dallas and the north burbs)--it's also a pretty penny!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 AM

699 posts, read 1,345,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooch View Post
Jealous of me? Sheesh--I'm pissed about taxes and small housing that costs an arm and 3 legs!

While it's beautiful out there (moreso than Dallas and the north burbs)--it's also a pretty penny!
It's called the sunshine tax. Though with Prop 13, housing costs here -- over the long haul -- are quite doable. Especially now, as rents continue to rise. Homeowners have their version of "rent control", guaranteeing their property tax will, at worst, rise only 2% with inflation. And at best, they move down with the housing market.

There are notable exceptions - like anyone who bought from 2003-2009. But a material number of those folks made out like bandits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County