Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:37 PM

126 posts, read 219,285 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am looking for the truth about how Newbury Park is. I currently live in Oxnard over by St. John's Hospital. But my wife and I are looking to relocate and started thinking about Newbury Park due to the fact that we have a 4 year-old and would like him to attend good schools. We've heard people say good things about the schools and we feel he'll benefit more.

We do not have any problems with Oxnard, other than the traffic, especially on Rose... but we're looking for a change and a few people mentioned Newbury Park is the way to go. So, for those who lives or lived there or just know some things, please let me know if Newbury Park is the place to be.

Thanks.
CJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 02:59 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Newbury Park is part of Thousand Oaks and yes, the schools in Thousand Oaks are considerably better than Oxnard. The best schools in the area are in the Westlake Village area though.

Whether or not its "the place to be" is going to depend what you're looking for...

Old 06-20-2012, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the reply USER ID. My wife and I are looking for a community feel. A place where you'll see kids on the block playing. People taking walks, decorating their homes for the holidays. Just an overall neighborhood feel. Nothing generic.

I hope what I wrote doesn't sound vague.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
I don't think Newbury Park has a more "community feel" than Oxnard. All the things you mentioned can be found throughout Ventura County. The primary differences between the cities are demographics, landscape and school quality.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 PM

20 posts, read 64,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwhite75 View Post
Thanks for the reply USER ID. My wife and I are looking for a community feel. A place where you'll see kids on the block playing. People taking walks, decorating their homes for the holidays. Just an overall neighborhood feel. Nothing generic.

I hope what I wrote doesn't sound vague.
I've lived in Newbury Park for 23 years and I love it. It all depends on the neighborhood, but for the most part, there is a small town community feel here. There are tons of kids on our street playing and riding bikes. If you get involved with school/sports, you will find a very close knit community. My daughter went to all the public schools albeit a few years ago, but I thought they were wonderful.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:28 PM

Thanks Stephv710. By the way how quiet is Newbury Park?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:57 PM

168 posts, read 549,188 times
If you find the right neighborhood in Newbury Park it will be better than many neighborhoods in Ventura County because of the air quality, quiet, horse access, and lack of commercial zoning. Newbury park is nice overall but in my opinion in is a very diverse town in terms of social economic status. I have friends and family and visit there at least 3 times a week for the last 20 years.

Newbury Park in quiet if you can afford the quiet areas. Wrong neighborhood will have gangs and questionable people. Newbury Park has a lot of average ranch house neighborhoods. All the McMansions didn't go up until 10-15 years ago but that is not the majority of housing in town.

It is hard to describe Newbury Park cause it is so diverse in terms of social economic status in many different neighborhoods. Overall Newbury Park is not a bad choice by any mean, just look hard for the right neighborhood for your family.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:17 PM

Are there really gangs in Newbury Park? It's almost laughable because I live in Oxnard and people say there are gangs in Oxnard, but I haven't seen any. I'm from Chicago, and the gangs in Chicago is really hardcore. Oxnard is like heaven compared to Chicago, so I guess Newbury Park will be like Heaven times 2.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:09 AM

168 posts, read 549,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwhite75 View Post
Are there really gangs in Newbury Park? It's almost laughable because I live in Oxnard and people say there are gangs in Oxnard, but I haven't seen any. I'm from Chicago, and the gangs in Chicago is really hardcore. Oxnard is like heaven compared to Chicago, so I guess Newbury Park will be like Heaven times 2.
gang activity in Newbury Park is not a problem but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Aside from the local gangs that has been around for 20 years such as Tocas, CVLS, Houston Hoods, and whatever else that I'm not familiar with. There was a shooting a few years back regarding a MS-13 gang member, MS-13 is always on the expansion. Here is the article Gang Member Gets Life for 2007 Slaying | KEYT.com - News, Weather, Sports for Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo, Ventura, Oxnard | Local

Old 07-05-2012, 12:15 AM

Thanks for the article. I've never heard of those gangs before except MS-13. Most likely this was an isolated incident because I am sure more news would have been made public if gang activity in Newbury Park was bad.

Most of these kids are probably just grouped together to party due to nothing else to do. I wouldn't classify that as a real gang. Kids will be kids regardless if it's Dos Vientos or La Colonia in Oxnard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County