Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 07:13 AM

16 posts, read 64,343 times

Advertisements

Hello Ventura County,
My family and I are thinking very hard about moving out to the Ventura County area. I will start out making approximately $43,000 and moving to approximately $54,000 at year 2.
So, this move would be very difficult financially, and brings me to my question.

Can some of you give me examples of how you make it on a very tight budget (in Ventura County)?
For instance, where we live now, (Wise, Va) there is a place called “J & J discount.” At this place they have items that are about to expire or has expired, and items from trucks that have broken down and had to get rid of their cargo. These are of course at reduced prices. Does Ventura Co. have stores like this?

Also, the job offer I have is in Camarillo. All of the advice I’ve seen on city-data talk about commuting from areas in Ventura Co. Is this because areas outside of the county are simply too far/long for commuting? Are there possibly areas outside of the county that are cheaper to live but still not too far/long of a commute?
Your help is very much appreciated. We want to move to Ventura Co. but without your first-hand knowledge it might be impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 04:53 PM

15 posts, read 58,853 times
Ventura County is a great area to raise a family. Great weather, near LA, safe, etc. With that being said it is VERY expensive. The cheapest single bedroom apartments in Camarillo are over $1100 a month. Home prices are beginning to rise once again as the market is slowly improving. Because of the cost of living many people commute to Ventura County from the SF valley where it is much cheaper.
I would look in the Oxnard, Ventura or even Santa Paula, Fillmore area for cheaper places if you want to live within Ventura County. There are some nice areas in those cities. Good Luck.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 PM

thank you, terrible one. I will check those areas out.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:43 PM

58 posts, read 190,364 times
I have lived in VC on about $40,000 for two adults and a baby for a year. It was tight. We didn't have any extras, but due to our good health insurance had little to worry about. It would not be fun to live on so little for long though. I would live as close to work as possible. I commute 40 minutes now and gas prices are awful. I do carpool to save money though. Live in a small place, as we spend so much time outdoors here it is not a big deal to live in 900 square feet.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 AM

[SIZE=3]Oh, thank you Garden gal,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]This is the type of info I was hoping for, someone actually giving me numbers to compare to my situation too. We also presently live in a house that is a little under 900 sq ft. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]At this point, we are basically debt free, needing to only pay bills on daily living and regular house hold monthly bills.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I found a 2 bd rm house the other day in Camarillo for $1,100!! It had just been rented though. This did give me hope though, that I might find something for my family. [/SIZE]

Old 09-07-2012, 11:26 AM

20,767 posts, read 19,992,197 times
There is alot of military families here with the same budget and they make it.

It is possible if you don't expect to rent a house on the beach and shop at VONS.

I live in South Oxnard and it is not as bad as some people say.

You can find a place for about $1,100/month.
Cozy 2 bedroom Mobilehome
1925 Ginger Drive, Unit # 221, Oxnard, CA 93036
CEDC Casa Garcia Apts.
2 + 1 Two Story Condo in Port Hueneme
2 Bedroom Condo Near Channel Islands Marina

Old 09-15-2012, 10:49 PM

26 posts, read 118,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cageman View Post
Hello Ventura County,
My family and I are thinking very hard about moving out to the Ventura County area. I will start out making approximately $43,000 and moving to approximately $54,000 at year 2.
So, this move would be very difficult financially, and brings me to my question.

Can some of you give me examples of how you make it on a very tight budget (in Ventura County)?
For instance, where we live now, (Wise, Va) there is a place called “J & J discount.” At this place they have items that are about to expire or has expired, and items from trucks that have broken down and had to get rid of their cargo. These are of course at reduced prices. Does Ventura Co. have stores like this?

Also, the job offer I have is in Camarillo. All of the advice I’ve seen on city-data talk about commuting from areas in Ventura Co. Is this because areas outside of the county are simply too far/long for commuting? Are there possibly areas outside of the county that are cheaper to live but still not too far/long of a commute?
Your help is very much appreciated. We want to move to Ventura Co. but without your first-hand knowledge it might be impossible.
Costco is in Oxnard just up hwy 101 from Camarillo.
I prefer Ventura, it has more personality than Oxnard and Camarillo. I could walk to the beach/pier and downtown, my kids skateboarded to Ventura High School, sometimes I biked to work (4 miles). There is a lot for teenagers to do (I don't know how old your kids are), but kids should learn to surf if they live near the beach. Some house are not too expensive off of Ventura Ave in Ventura (on the hills side below Cross Park and up toward Casitas Springs and Oakview).
Every place near the coast is expensive, so there is no need to live in the ugly San Fernando Valley to commute to Camarillo (way way way too far and clogged traffic ugh you would want to end it all if you did that every day).
No, if you take this job, live as close to work as possible or all your money will go to car upkeep and commuting. And get a good contract in case you move there and the employer changes his mind. I could live on that salary just fine anywhere but I am thrifty (I have not seen the store you mentioned anywhere. There are dollar stores).
I didn't see you mention what size your family is.
If this job move furthers your career that's a good thing, but most people would not relocate 3000 miles for that salary. I would want my kids to experience the ocean so it makes sense to me. Will your wife have any income?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County