Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 31,469 times

Advertisements

We are a military family thinking of buying a home in Oxnard, Port Hueneme or Camarillo (if we can afford it )area. I've been reading a lot of of posts but I couldn't find a straight answer about "good neighborhoods". So far I know places I should avoid, but no good areas at all? I used to live in Torrance, but never been to the other cities I mentioned, so I'm clueless about how this area looks like. Our budget is 300k, no kids, and honestly not very picky about the house per se. Our main concern is safety. Any inputs are highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 04:26 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaneskygh View Post
We are a military family thinking of buying a home in Oxnard, Port Hueneme or Camarillo (if we can afford it )area. I've been reading a lot of of posts but I couldn't find a straight answer about "good neighborhoods". So far I know places I should avoid, but no good areas at all? I used to live in Torrance, but never been to the other cities I mentioned, so I'm clueless about how this area looks like. Our budget is 300k, no kids, and honestly not very picky about the house per se. Our main concern is safety. Any inputs are highly appreciated.
Realtor.com will show you the houses in the 300K range and you can get an idea of the available stock.

As to the neighborhoods, I love Camarillo. But know nothing of Oxnard or PH. Perhaps some residents will chime in.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:25 AM

4 posts, read 20,547 times
Stay away from South Oxnard as it is run down...Anything from historic downtown Oxnard with old homes to North Oxnard with very nice homes west to the beaches is nice. Newer homes closer to the beaches and Marina. (Channel Islands). All of these areas are great. Port Hueneme is small, but has some nice condos within walking distance to the beach.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 PM

58 posts, read 190,310 times
I work in South Oxnard. I really want to live there so I don't have to commute. However, Pt. Hueneme is FULL of sex offenders. Seriously, put in a possible address to the Megan's Law website. The Historic District in Oxnard is cool, but houses are often more than $300,000 and you are walking distance from La Colonia which is basically gangland. We are having to increase our housing budget to the $370,000 area to be able look at homes near the beach. Oxnard has positive qualities. I am not an Oxnard hater at all. It is just seriously harder than other areas to find safe affordable housing. That said, I drive all over Oxnard and work in a gang infested area. Most of the time it is quiet and fine. It is just some bad apples spoiling it, and because I am a mom I want to raise my kids in a super safe area. I am not going to pay $300 grand for a house to have 17 sex offenders in a square mile.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:40 AM

Lots of people mentioned Historic District and Historic Downtown. Im wondering if it's the same. Does anybody know the neighborhood around there?.
On another note, I found a couple of houses I like in Sea View Estates and Via Marina. Are they good places to live in terms of safety?

Old 09-14-2012, 09:45 PM

58 posts, read 190,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaneskygh View Post
Lots of people mentioned Historic District and Historic Downtown. Im wondering if it's the same. Does anybody know the neighborhood around there?.
On another note, I found a couple of houses I like in Sea View Estates and Via Marina. Are they good places to live in terms of safety?
Historic distric and historic downtown are the same thing. The few blocks it encompasses is gorgeous, you can't even believe you are in Oxnard- stately older homes, big mature trees on the streets- it looks like back East. If you walk a few blocks out of that zone though you are in a horrible area. I almost bought a home there, and as escrow was closing a guy was at a taco shop half a mile away and was shot in the head. I just don't want to be that close to gang activity. There is Wilson park there, but you can't really hang out there with kids. It is full of homeless people and sadly is not a place I would send my child to play.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:23 PM

26 posts, read 118,590 times
Check out Ventura. Very safe.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:25 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I live in the North Oxnard area and we love it. My wife and I grew up in Oxnard. Our home was built in 1962 and we bought it in December of 2010 for $310,000. You may be able to find a 3 bedroom for less that may meet your budget. I grew up in Port Hueneme and love it there as well. If it ever comes up on the market we plan on buying the home I grew up in. Homes in that neighborhood are just east of the base, South of Sunkist and on down to Park Avenue. If yoiu can find a home on 6th steet, 6th place, 7th street, 7th Place, Park Avenue, 8th Street, 8th Place, or Pierson Road you would have a nice solid neighborhood. I know on the street I grew up on it is still a nice neighborhood where people have taken care of their homes. Still prices are down in the $260,000 range last I checked.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:31 PM

126 posts, read 219,374 times
If you can find a house in the $300k range in Camarillo, you should go that route first. Camarillo is very nice. I'd lived there for 7 years. I live in North Oxnard now. If you cannot afford Camarillo, then I would purchase a house in North Oxnard (if you want to be in Oxnard), or try to find a place in Ventura (in the 93004 area, though).

Old 09-18-2012, 10:04 AM

It is hard, nearly impossible to find a house under 300k in Ventura or Camarillo, so I'm looking more in Oxnard. You mentioned North Oxnard, but isn't it that area close to La Colonia and El Rio? I read other posts saying that they are not good neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County