Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 12:14 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,341,308 times

Advertisements

I have found that I have had strange reactions in different locales myself. I am from the Chicago area where I never had any known allergies. When I moved to Texas I went into the doctor for chest pain (First time in my life, at a healthy 33). After a battery of tests the dr. concluded that I had allergies!!! I could not believe it because I never had them, but then...I had never lived in Texas! Sure enough after I started taking Claritin my horrible flu like symptoms (and chest pain) went away. When I moved to Spokane, I had a terrible skin reaction from the dryness and pretty much burnt my top few layers of skin off using my normal products, not realizing the level of dryness had changed my skin.

This is also one of the reasons I wanted to be near the beach....to heal my skin and not deal with allergies....so far so good! I would have a hard time giving up the beach climate now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,261 times
Default Riverpark

Some of the areas in Oxnard are a little rough. If you want to live close to the close to the hospital, minimize your commute headache and live in a safe area I would recommend the new Riverpark Community. Reasonable rental rates and great amenities within a short drive or walking distance. My wife and I looked at moving to this area a few years back, but I work in Moorpark and did not want to deal with the commuter traffic on Hwy. 118, so we moved to Simi Valley.

In any event, you'll want to live in the Ventura/Camarillo/Oxnard area. Moderate climate, good air quality and less traffic headaches.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:30 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnormal View Post
Some of the areas in Oxnard are a little rough. If you want to live close to the close to the hospital, minimize your commute headache and live in a safe area I would recommend the new Riverpark Community. Reasonable rental rates and great amenities within a short drive or walking distance. My wife and I looked at moving to this area a few years back, but I work in Moorpark and did not want to deal with the commuter traffic on Hwy. 118, so we moved to Simi Valley.

In any event, you'll want to live in the Ventura/Camarillo/Oxnard area. Moderate climate, good air quality and less traffic headaches.
There are some rough areas in Ventura and Camarillo as well. All cities in west Ventura County have low crime. Per the national trend and sluggish economic times, an uptick of petty crimes have been a reality for the area as a whole over the past year.

Air quality for the area is good. The neighborhoods around Saint John's Hospital are new, nice and safe, Northeast Community, East Village and others. Since Saint John's is on the east end of Oxnard, a commute from Camarillo would be a snap. Depending on your tastes in housing, there is a bit of variety in the area. How important is suburban vs. old town vs. mountain views vs. old Spanish vs. hillside vs. beach vs. rural? Own, rent?

Old 12-16-2013, 04:15 PM

62 posts, read 116,904 times
[quote= Depending on your tastes in housing, there is a bit of variety in the area. How important is suburban vs. old town vs. mountain views vs. old Spanish vs. hillside vs. beach vs. rural? Own, rent?[/QUOTE]

This is the reason I can`t make my mind yet, on the other hand, in 500-600 k you could buy amazing custom house in IN (where I used to live ) but here your options are limited to tract or production houses .
I noticed houses here go fast,is it because of low inventory ? some houses that intrigued me were gone just few days after being listed, also back yard is an issue, it is not easy to find house with large one, most of houses in that price range have small back yards, I think it is either I need to adjust my perception to a back yard size from now on or increase the house price range

Old 12-17-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allergyvictim View Post
This is the reason I can`t make my mind yet, on the other hand, in 500-600 k you could buy amazing custom house in IN (where I used to live ) but here your options are limited to tract or production houses .
I noticed houses here go fast,is it because of low inventory ? some houses that intrigued me were gone just few days after being listed, also back yard is an issue, it is not easy to find house with large one, most of houses in that price range have small back yards, I think it is either I need to adjust my perception to a back yard size from now on or increase the house price range
This is completely a casual observer's theory, so don't take it to the bank. One reason houses are going quickly could be because the market has improved a lot over a year ago (the low point since the crash in 2008). Buyers may be concerned that a rebounding market will leave them priced out if they wait. Also mortgage rates are on the rise. With each point increase in the rates, so many more buyers are shut out. The memory of being priced out from the craziness of the early 2000s is still fresh in many people's minds. I would say that there is probably a fair amount of pent up desire to buy that's starting to break loose.

Big back yards are difficult to come by within city limits in Ventura County, of course depending on your definition of a big back yard. All cities in the county face urban growth boundaries to keep from encroaching on ag land. Besides, it's coastal southern California. It's not cheap, though Ventura County is by far one of the more affordable locations between the Mexican border and Point Conception. Bigger back yards are available, but you would probably need to look at properties in the unincorporated county, i.e. Somis, Santa Rosa Valley and places like those.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
There are some rough areas in Ventura and Camarillo as well. All cities in west Ventura County have low crime. Per the national trend and sluggish economic times, an uptick of petty crimes have been a reality for the area as a whole over the past year.

Air quality for the area is good. The neighborhoods around Saint John's Hospital are new, nice and safe, Northeast Community, East Village and others. Since Saint John's is on the east end of Oxnard, a commute from Camarillo would be a snap. Depending on your tastes in housing, there is a bit of variety in the area. How important is suburban vs. old town vs. mountain views vs. old Spanish vs. hillside vs. beach vs. rural? Own, rent?
I was talking about neighborhoods CLOSE to the hospital. You can't be serious though. Oxnard is gang territory and by far the roughest if you go into the wrong neighborhoods. Camarillo has rough areas? It's mostly retirees.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnormal View Post
I was talking about neighborhoods CLOSE to the hospital. You can't be serious though. Oxnard is gang territory and by far the roughest if you go into the wrong neighborhoods. Camarillo has rough areas? It's mostly retirees.
Yes, I am serious. What's rough about the area around Saint John's? And have you ever been to Barry Street, Cam or other low-end apartments, where home innovations sometimes take place, particularly where un-documented restaurant workers are known to live? Camarillo is more than Leisure Village. All cities in Ventura County have gangs. ALL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County