Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 44,302 times

Advertisements

Considering a move from Chicago, where we currently pay over $11,000 a year in property taxes. Is there a difference in the property taxes in Ventura County vs LA County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 10:30 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans View Post
Considering a move from Chicago, where we currently pay over $11,000 a year in property taxes. Is there a difference in the property taxes in Ventura County vs LA County?
There are only minor differences between the two counties. It will depend more on the city/community where you purchase. The base property tax in Ventura County is 1.25 percent of the purchase price. Each city or community might have additional claims for specific local needs, schools, water, PD/FD, etc. Property taxes in CA don't reassess to the same degree as other states, so even if your property appreciates a lot, you'll still pay about the same amount for p-tax as you did when you first purchased your home (Proposition 13).

I will say this: dealing with the assessor's and collector's offices is a lot easier in Ventura County than LA. Of course, with a population of 800,000, Ventura is a much different county than pop-10-million LA.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:48 AM

5 posts, read 47,779 times
titans; good luck with your relocation. I am looking for info on property tax too.
But I am interested in maybe buying in pasadena area. I currently live in dtratford CT, where taxes are no bargain either. Can someone provide any insight?.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:11 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Just wanted to add that some developments in Ventura County may be more than the 1.25% of the value of the property. River Park a new development on the North East corner of Oxnard charges a starting rate of 1.99% with a stipulation that the amount can increase do to the master planned communities share of cost for a fire station, police station, grades K-5 and 6-8 schools, park maintanence and other issues. That was part of the plan when it was started so that the city could save money. You want to build, you get to pay. That is past down to the buyer.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:14 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Just wanted to add that some developments in Ventura County may be more than the 1.25% of the value of the property. River Park a new development on the North East corner of Oxnard charges a starting rate of 1.99% with a stipulation that the amount can increase do to the master planned communities share of cost for a fire station, police station, grades K-5 and 6-8 schools, park maintanence and other issues. That was part of the plan when it was started so that the city could save money. You want to build, you get to pay. That is past down to the buyer.

Is that a Mello Roos? I had that in Lang Ranch in Thousand Oaks. It showed up on the tax bill. I deducted it.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:28 PM

134 posts, read 562,251 times
property taxes are based on the assessed value not the purchase price and in this declining market the county assessors are holding tight to last years values.prices in Ventura County are down 24.8% in ONE YEAR !!!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:38 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is that a Mello Roos? I had that in Lang Ranch in Thousand Oaks. It showed up on the tax bill. I deducted it.
The new developments in Oxnard are charging Mello Roos and special districts fees (landscaping, streets and other infrastructure). The new Seabridge development has a Mello Roos for the water ways. The fee is quite high, $300 - $400/mo., or something. It just about amounts to a second property tax obligation.

There are several "special assessments" charged to property owners in Oxnard over and above the 1.25% base rate. They include things like Oxnard's share of Ventura County water districts, school bonds, community college district bonds, even a "mosquito control" assessment. All of the extra assessments increase the base assessed amount by around .15% (1.4% total). It's no wonder property owners in the newer developments can expect p-tax rates of 2% or more since they're faced with the base amount, special assessments plus development assessments. Add a Mello Roos and the obligation could easily reach 3%.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:11 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdawgx View Post
property taxes are based on the assessed value not the purchase price and in this declining market the county assessors are holding tight to last years values.prices in Ventura County are down 24.8% in ONE YEAR !!!!!
I am pretty sure I was able to petition Harold S. Pittman, Tax Collector (I still remember his name....it's another guy now...) to lower my assessed value. I purchase a 4BR, 2BA home in Moorpark for $185K in 1988 (closed escrow on the day the Dodgers won the World Series...funny the things you remember...). The market value ramped up to something like $230K then down to the $170Ks. I petitioned and had my property lowered to reflect the $170Ks value.

Something to look into.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:01 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,991 times
Yes, one can petition to have their property reassessed. I did back in the mid-nineties slump and they actually assessed it lower than I requested. But, be SURE that the recent housing slump has dropped your current value below it's prior assessed value. If you have purchased in the past 3-years, you may want to give it a shot. But, because of the run-up in values prior to that, you're quite possibly paying at a lower rate than if you request a reassessment.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 20,815 times
What was the local tax burden rate for National city for the year 2003 to 2005
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County