Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 11,322 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the story on the huge flocks of crows that roost in areas of Wood Ranch (Simi Valley)... thinking about buying a house there, drove through at dusk today and felt like I'd stumbled onto the set for a re-make of "The Birds"... is this roosting prevalent throughout Wood Ranch or only in certain areas?... does it persist year-round or only during the winter? Not a bird-hater, just concerned about potential for damage when thousands of hungry birds decide your trees, roof and yard is a great place to hang out. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 11:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
They are everywhere in Thousand Oaks. They get loud at dusk but that's it. When the flock goes overhead it looks beautiful to me. The crows clean up a lot of road kill, which is better than rats doing it.

Try to smile at them :

Bird brains? Crows remember your face (and know you

Old 02-05-2014, 01:22 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Crows are a Ventura County staple. Enjoy. I like them myself. Also think it is cool when the little birds try and drive them back. Kind of like a mini air show with a small plane attacking a large plane. LOL

Old 02-09-2014, 10:51 PM

2 posts, read 11,322 times
What about dawn? Are they (the crows) your not so gentle wake-up call whether you want it or not?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:24 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosephus View Post
What about dawn? Are they (the crows) your not so gentle wake-up call whether you want it or not?
Not at all. In the morning you get the lovely cooing of Mourning Doves. Ahhhh...

Old 02-10-2014, 12:49 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I have never been botherd by crows waking me up. As far as I know it they don't come around till after I am up. We can sometimes here them walking on our roof in the morning. Someone around here feeds them peanuts and they end up on my roof trying to break the shells. Then again that usually is not untill at least 6am or later and I always get up by 5am.

Old 11-10-2020, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,854 times
I'd love to refresh this conversation. I love the Wood Ranch area and am strongly considering buying a home there. I noticed the crows/ravens are still a thing. What is the reality of the situation with the crows? Is it year round? Is it every morning and every night? Where exactly do they roost? What is the impact to those who live there? Is it the entire area or is it worse in some areas than others?

Old 01-03-2021, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,552 times
They’re outside right now, they do only travel through at dusk in the cooler months. It can be overwhelming at times, but that’s just because it’s like a scene from a movie. But they don’t cause any damage, and by the time the sun goes down they’re quiet. They drive my cats nuts! We’re not sure why they come through Wood ranch, but I can tell you it won’t impact property value in anyway, or impact your life much rather than taking a few pictures or sending some videos to your friends. It’s more like a phenomenon then anything else, and there are a lot of bird species in this area including mud swallows, which have a greater impact if you ask me. Wood ranch is a mud swallow reserve, and are protected species here. Definitely ask the homeowners if their properties impacted by mud swallows in the spring, they can cause property damage to the outside of your house with their mud nests.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:22 AM

148 posts, read 136,964 times
Two things that seem to help: A dummy fake dead crow and also one of those plastic owls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County