Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,437 times

Advertisements

I might be getting a job with a horticulture company in Santa Paula that I assume would pay high 30's or maybe low 40's. I live in Florida at the time and am a recent college graduate and that's what I would be getting paid here. So I have a few questions.

First of all, is there a state income tax in Cali., there is not one in Florida, and if so how much should I ask for to make the equivalent pay for Cali. be similar to the mid to high 30's I would get in Florida.?

Also, how affordable is housing in Santa Paula? Obviously I don't have money to just go and buy a house, so are there quality apartments in or close by Santa Paula? I don't mind traveling up to 30 mins. to get to my job in Santa Paula. Are there affordable apartments 30 mins. away in a fun place with a little more people my age that is safe and "hip"?

I really like this company and think I would love working for them but I realize for me to move across the country I also need to enjoy the area I move to. What do you all think? I can get a job in Florida that pays well and still be close to friends and family but this is a big opportunity that I want to give serious consideration to. Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 09:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,340 times
Yes on state income tax, it depends really on how much you make a year like federal income taxes. If you are looking for a safe hip place, I would recommend Ventura, it is about 15-20 minutes away and the "big" city around here. Housing in Ventura is a little more pricer however.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:13 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Santa Paula is a nice place to live and work. The hospital that I work for has an Urgent Care/ health clinic in the city. If you don't mind living in a predominetly hispanic community then you will do ok in Santa Paula. For a place its size there are lots of things to do and see. Standard Oil started in the area and an Oil Museum is in the city. The Santa Paula Airport is a private pilots paradise. Lots of antique and experimental aircraft. Rents are cheap compared to the Ventura County area. You could find a one bedroom for less than $1,000 and a nice place for $1,200. Some will tell you about a gang problem in the area. I haven't ever had a problem and my family is there quite a bit. My wifes cousin and other family members live there. The night life in the area is probably going to bring you to Ventura. I prefer the Bombay Bar and Grill on Friday and Saturday nights. There is also Nicholbys, Pangea, and if you voted against Prop 8 (Meaning you prefer the same sex.) You may want to visit my brothers hang out, Paddy's. This isn't LA though. It is quieter, but still fun. For example Bombay's on a Friday night has up to 500 people having fun dancing, hanging out, and ofcourse drinking. Not sure about Florida, but here the clubs close at 2am. Some clubs in LA have an after party though, if you can find one. Just can't drink and the doors are locked to the rest of the world.

LA isn't too far away. You can be there in about an hour from Santa Paula.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:26 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Santa Paula is in the middle of some of the best (safe, scenic, various - lots of terrain diversity/variety) cycling areas in Southern California. SP to Ojai or Moorpark (using Grimes or Balcom canyons) or Piru or Ventura or Fillmore/Bardsdale or even Santa Barbara - very nice rides.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:37 PM

299 posts, read 1,153,013 times
SOON2BNSURPRISE,

Notice you are in the medical field, sent you a PM hopefully you will respond.

Thank you,

jOE
Angeles City,
Philippines

Old 11-19-2008, 08:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
Excuse me, SOON2B, not all of us who voted against Prop 8 "prefer the same sex".

Old 11-19-2008, 09:45 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandevillaplumeria View Post
Also, how affordable is housing in Santa Paula? Obviously I don't have money to just go and buy a house, so are there quality apartments in or close by Santa Paula? I don't mind traveling up to 30 mins. to get to my job in Santa Paula. Are there affordable apartments 30 mins. away in a fun place with a little more people my age that is safe and "hip"?
Santa Paula is a great little town in the beautiful Santa Clara River Valley, also known "Heritage Valley." Aside from watching vintage and acrobatic aircraft take off and land at the airport, you might be a little bored in Santa Paula as its not that big. But as others have mentioned, beach-town Ventura (population 100,000) is not far, 20 miles or so. It has a fairly active downtown. Ventura is also connected to Santa Paula by express commuter bus if you don't want to drive to work, Hwy 126 | VCTC (http://www.goventura.org/?q=get-there-by-bus/local-bus-services/vista/126_e - broken link). Also nearby Oxnard (population 200,000) is a city undergoing an amazing transformation and renaissance these days, a city with great diversity, history, energy, awesome harbor and beach area and newly revitalized downtown. Good luck to you!

Last edited by Winston Smith; 11-19-2008 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: Incorrect link for VISTA.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:36 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Excuse me, SOON2B, not all of us who voted against Prop 8 "prefer the same sex".
Didn't mean that all people who voted against 8 are gay, but chances are most gay people voted against 8 and would prefer a place like Paddy's. As a joke I thought it fit the post nicely. But then some can't seem to take a joke.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,281 times
Default Minor correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
... Standard Oil started in the area and an Oil Museum is in the city...
It was actually the Union Oil Co. that was founded in Santa Paula in 1890. It's original headquarters building is now the location of the California Oil Museum.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:18 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,010,151 times
The salary seems low for CA, but Santa Paula should be cheaper than coastal places. Check apartment ratings dot com for good reviews on places before you sign the dotted line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County