Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 12:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,752 times

Advertisements

We've been based in Japan and Singapore and will be moving to Ventura County before the year ends. My research for a decent apartment online has got me confused!!
The apartments' websites wax lyrical but the feedback on others say otherwise.
Need help/comments/advice.
Looking for apartments Oxnard (Channel Islands looks nice), Camarillo or Port Hueneme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 03:06 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,080,424 times
Port Hueneme out by the beach. Oxnard Shores (though some buildings might be noisy). There are some ok buildings on Victoria around Seabridge. Oxnard north-east and Riverpark have newer buildings, but they're more expensive. Some pretty interesting things coming to Riverpark -- a new Whole Foods market and shopping center, mixed-use, walkable destinations, etc.

Keep away: Channel Islands Blvd between J and Saviors. South Oxnard, use caution. Some mediocre apartments near Ventura Road/Gonzales. Port Hueneme: I'd avoid the four-plex units at Hemlock/Victoria. Condo units and neighborhoods in the immediate vicinity (Oxnard/Port Hueneme) are ok. Strange how you can go from bad to good by crossing the street. Best of luck in your search!

Last edited by Winston Smith; 06-07-2008 at 03:15 AM..

Old 06-08-2008, 05:07 PM

46 posts, read 162,543 times
Something to remember when looking at websites- the apartment complexes all want to sound like the perfect place to live. The ratings site, where people post their complaints, all are from people who want to get revenge and make the places sound like hell.

The truth is usually somewhere in between. Both groups have their agendas. Buyer beware......

Old 07-11-2008, 12:39 PM

6 posts, read 41,088 times
Hi...I will also be moving to Port H. My husband will be stationed there next march. Are there any nice "small towns" in commuting distance? My husband will be gone for 6 months at a time and I would like a smaller sized town to live in. I know how that sounds when talking about CA but I have lived in the same small town my hole life in WA. To be honest, after reading about the crime on some of these posts, Im a bit scared to move there and be solo for long periods of time.

Thanx B

Old 07-11-2008, 12:58 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barina View Post
Hi...I will also be moving to Port H. My husband will be stationed there next march. Are there any nice "small towns" in commuting distance? My husband will be gone for 6 months at a time and I would like a smaller sized town to live in. I know how that sounds when talking about CA but I have lived in the same small town my hole life in WA. To be honest, after reading about the crime on some of these posts, Im a bit scared to move there and be solo for long periods of time.

Thanx B
Fillmore is a nice small town to live in but is at least a 40 minute drive for your husband. People here will scare you about crime in just about every town and county and the truth is there is some crime every where you go. Where I lived in Fillmore we never locked our doors or cars, but we weren't in town. I didn't have children of school age and don't know if schools are a criteria but from what I gathered the schools were not the best.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:48 AM

162 posts, read 572,610 times
Barista -- It's not a "small" town (120k pop.) but Thousand Oaks is a safe enough place to live. From my own experience I'm pretty sure you'd feel safe living here alone while your husband is away. I think alot will depend on your budget for housing, too.

The drive could be a little long for your husband (30-40 minutes) but if he's not doing it that much and is out of town alot, it should be okay.

Of course, there are certainly other nice places to live in Oxnard and elsewhere that other posters will tell you about. Maybe you and the OP can get together and pool resources in your research and move.

Best of luck to you both.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:12 AM

283 posts, read 1,193,853 times
Try this website it has homes as opposed to just apartments for rent.
Ventura County Regional Data Share
I recommend Ventura, Ojai, Port Hueneme & Camarillo. If you know the back roads well enough you could include Newbury Park & 1000 Oaks. Camarillo, Ojai & Port Hueneme are going to give you the small town feel your looking for but if you try any will do in a pinch cause you can stay in one sector of town without needing go elsewhere until you desire to entertain yourself. I'm right on the beach in Port Hueneme and only venture out away from the core / base when needed. Which is pretty often for me since I get bored so easily. Even though I chose PH over the others, Camarillo seems to fit the needs of small town feel and convenience the best. It is growing rapidly though and the small town feel could easily become transparent. PH can't grow anymore than it has being surrounded by all the other cities and really remains fairly constant.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:31 PM

299 posts, read 1,153,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyameekins View Post
We've been based in Japan and Singapore and will be moving to Ventura County before the year ends. My research for a decent apartment online has got me confused!!
The apartments' websites wax lyrical but the feedback on others say otherwise.
Need help/comments/advice.
Looking for apartments Oxnard (Channel Islands looks nice), Camarillo or Port Hueneme.
Remembered your post and decided to look it up and see how well you and your hubby are enjoying living in the Oxnard Plain.

You most likely don't remember me, however, we (family) are really considering moving to there and very curious about the cost of living, crime, jobs for Pharmacists and just life in general. Say, how are you enjoying the old CBC... now NBVC. I was stationed there in early '80's.

jOE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County