Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 02:20 PM

4 posts, read 13,470 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to Vermont around spring time and I currently own a Honda fit and I was wondering how this car would do in the snow. When I previous lived in a state with snow I was driving a jeep which was great in snow, but I'm not too sure how my current vehicle would do in a vt winter. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 03:00 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,677 times
you should be fine, other HOndas scoot around here -- I think it is more about the tires..

Old 12-06-2010, 04:29 PM

20 posts, read 99,007 times
We have a Fit too. I wouldn't use it for off-roading, but as sugarmaple said, with the right tires and if you're staying on the road, it should be ok. We just took ours all around the US and never had any problems, although we only hit snow twice.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:58 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,857,672 times
is fit AWD ? i would just get snow tires in fall of 2011.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:22 PM

20 posts, read 99,007 times
No, not AWD.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:43 PM

819 posts, read 1,494,867 times
I say get good snow tires and watch the weather.........I'd stay off the road in any type of decent storm.....my couch weighs more than a Fit.....

It's just a very light car with very small tires and wheels, anything of any depth will really be dicey in my opinion.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:27 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
I say get good snow tires and watch the weather.........I'd stay off the road in any type of decent storm.....my couch weighs more than a Fit.....

It's just a very light car with very small tires and wheels, anything of any depth will really be dicey in my opinion.
The Honda Fit weighs 250 pounds less than our Honda Civic. The Fit and Civic are both front wheel drive. Our Civic with great snow tires has been fantastic for winter driving, including in storms and icy conditions.

I'm not sure how much of a difference that 250 pounds and other differences between the two cares would make for winter driving. If I lived in a remote area with dirt roads and/or commuted in more hazardous conditions, I might choose a heavier car with all wheel drive. But the Civic has safely carried me the 73 miles each way during grad school (Rutland to Keene, NH) and to & from Montpelier during all kinds of weather.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:19 AM

819 posts, read 1,494,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
The Honda Fit weighs 250 pounds less than our Honda Civic. The Fit and Civic are both front wheel drive. Our Civic with great snow tires has been fantastic for winter driving, including in storms and icy conditions.

I'm not sure how much of a difference that 250 pounds and other differences between the two cares would make for winter driving. If I lived in a remote area with dirt roads and/or commuted in more hazardous conditions, I might choose a heavier car with all wheel drive. But the Civic has safely carried me the 73 miles each way during grad school (Rutland to Keene, NH) and to & from Montpelier during all kinds of weather.
My point is that for me, where I drive in VT and knowing how quickly even roads in Chitty County can go from passable to “oh crap”……..I would leave the Fit or Civic, Corolla etc. at home if I had the choice. I’ve spent several winters guiding front wheel drive Honda products through New England snow storms, it can be done but I’m sure I can also eventually bang in a nail with my forehead, doesn’t make it a good idea though.

To each his/her own, I just like to stack the deck way in my favor if I had a choice.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 AM

14 posts, read 28,797 times
I have a fit, and it has done fine so far. I traveled from Castleton to Maidstone during the storm a couple nights ago, and I didn't have any trouble. Just get good snow tires, drive carefully, and stay home if the weather is *really* bad.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:10 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,156 times
I have tried to find the link on the Fits performance in snow and poor weather, but I can't find it. It was from the "Edmunds" car site. In a nutshell, the Fit, fitted with snow tires will do OK in winter driving, unless the snow depth is greater than the ground clearance of the cars underside (just under 5 inches, the sport is even lower due to the sportier suspension). The weight of the car, while important is not as important as weight distribution of the chasis, wheel base and more important, ground clearance. The fit only has 14" wheels unless you have the sport, which can have 15 or 16" wheels. From the article in Edmunds, the Fit acts like a snowboard when the acumulation is more than the ground clearance of the car. The big danger is not being able to stop or stop on time. The other more obvious would be getting stuck and unable to drive. If you live in an area that gets little snow or if the roads are kept clean, then you should be OK. If the roads are bad where you will be then I would get another car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont