Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 07:57 PM

155 posts, read 614,223 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to post this here since some people considering the move to Vermont and/or the Burlington area may be interested in it. Vermont is ranked 3rd (well ok it is tied for 3rd place) for over all State Health Systems Performance in the USA.

U.S. State Health Systems Performance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 09:36 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,502,085 times
Great news. New England appears to be tops, overall.

Is there a link for mental healthcare rankings?

I used to live in Rhode Island, and it amazed me how simultaneously corrupt and progressive the state was. Still does.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:35 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
I'll say that healthcare in Vermont was NOT good to my family. The state system might be fine, but the level of competence of doctors and "professionals" left a lot to be desired in the 1970s and 80s. Both my father and I were astounded how the skills outside the state were so much more developed. If you are willing to put up with basic care and long waits in doctor offices, then Vermont may be fine. If you have unusual symptoms then get out as fast as you can.

My father almost died on a number of occasions due to poor health care. In one situation, he had a severe nosebleed and was choking on blood. He literally had to slug the nurse, who was attempting to force him to hold his head back and drown in his own blood. He was able to get into a crouching position and get someone else to pack his nose to keep from bleeding to death.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:22 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,828,117 times
I think alot has improved since the 70's and 80's. Fletcher Allen and Central Vermont has greatly expanded and formed a close partnership with Dartmouth's excellent hospital.

Also, the Vermont Veteran's Hospital in White River had a bad rep back then but that has been completely changed around. This is what I have been told and read but personally I have little faith overall in the medical profession.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:30 AM

29 posts, read 87,277 times
Great basic health care, BUT advanced stuff, go to Dart-Hitch or boston

Old 07-04-2007, 01:28 AM

Don't people usually do that?

Even in a larger city, there are small hospitals and major hospitals. For tertiary care, or for advanced trauma care, you go to a major hospital, even if they have to first treat you at the smaller hospital.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:47 PM

155 posts, read 614,223 times
I think so. I mean we live in Maryland and are very close to our local hospital but when our youngest was born with a heart issue we had to travel to DC to get her to John Hopkins right away and have since been there for check ups. (lucky for us she grew out of her issue already) Also my aunt who lives out in the mountains of western Maryland has to go to John Hopkins for heart check ups and it is over 3.5 hrs away from her. So I do not think that it has anything to do with Vermont it self. Vermont is a very small state and so it would seem that if you have a rare or serious issue you may need the treatment of a major city hospital outside the state.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:00 PM

I have 5 hospitals within 20 minutes of my home. Two are city hospitals, one is a medical-school affiliated state university hospital, and two are small small hospitals which are now branches of larger hospitals. There is one major hospital about 40 minutes away, also in Brooklyn. There are lots of other hospitals in Brooklyn. But if I needed serious tertiary care, I would probably have to go to Manhattan, approximately an hour away by car or train. If I had cancer, for example, I would want to go to Sloan Kettering.

That is, if my health insurance would let me.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:05 PM

267 posts, read 1,836,224 times
Is Fletcher Allen Hospital good? I'm delivering my baby there in September. So far I really like the doctors and nurses when I go for my prenatal visits. I'm having a csection with this baby and I'm curious how the maternity care, anesthesiologist, delivery, etc. is at this hospital.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:28 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,273,074 times
Fletcher Allen is a good hospital. I've had friends who have had their babies there and I plan to when ready.
I've had a few small procedures at the FAHC and everyone I encountered was professional AND nice.
The cancer treatment center there is great as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: