Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 08:53 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,943 times

Advertisements

Marooned -

I just posted something on snowfall here at one of the other threads. You may want to have a look at that.

I have a front wheel drive car. I run all-season radial tires and always have. I've never used snow tires. Even in the days when I drove to teach skiing at Sugarbush 28-35 days a year. I don't know what tire chains look like.

But for perspective on this consider that...
- I live in Burlington, (on a residential street that's on a steep hill) not out in the country.
- I'm a decent driver with a light foot and I typically leave extra time if I'm driving any distance.
- I'm not driving something that performs poorly on a snowy highway, like an SUV.

...hope that helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 12:38 AM

23 posts, read 92,730 times
Marooned-
My friend had never lived anywhere other than MetroDallas area of Texas. When she came here she feel in love with the seasons, and the snow. There are a lot of things to do, and the snow is beautiful. We do get very cold weather here ( In almost 3 years of living here), but you also learn how to dress for the cold, how to deal with the snow, and it becomes a welcomed part of your life. My daughter today was just saying that she really wished that the snow would fall early this year so that she could have more time to enjoy it. BTW I live in Burlington, Vt.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:58 AM

38 posts, read 120,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Can you see the Northern Lights in New England?

I saw your questions here unanswered. I can't speak for the quality of Lake Champlain, I would google it and see what pops up. My guess is it would be considered clean.
I have seen the Northern Lights from my area here in NH (the Lakes Region/central). A couple of years ago around October they were spectacular for a couple of nights. I drove to a scenic view near here and it was incredible. The only other place I have seen a display that good was in AK.

Also: How clean is Lake Champlain these days? And the other lakes and rivers for that matter? I know you wouldn't want to drink it, but can you safely go fishing and eat what you catch?
For some reason I keep getting a "your message is too short" window when I try to hit Submit Reply...???

Old 09-15-2006, 10:49 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,360 times
The software is set to require at least 20 characters. I'm not sure why, but it probably has something to do with the idea that no meaningful advice or question could be any shorter. It stops responses like, "Ditto".

Old 09-15-2006, 11:18 AM

38 posts, read 120,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
The software is set to require at least 20 characters. I'm not sure why, but it probably has something to do with the idea that no meaningful advice or question could be any shorter. It stops responses like, "Ditto".
Thanks. I figured it was something like that. But I had already typed a paragraph roughly equal to what you've typed here, so I was like...huh? It seems to happen to me a lot when I use the Quote in replying. Sometimes I get a message that I have too many characters, which in looking at some of these posts I can't really believe. It's probably something I'm not doing quite right.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:03 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,240 times
one of my favorite things about living in New England in the winter is the joy that you get at night thinking about how cold it is outside and how nice and comfy you are inside. Hot cider and a warm bed make you feel good about life. I think most fellow New Englanders will agree with me that winter really does have its highlights.

If you dress appropriately, you will be fine. Winter isnt bad because you have christmas with snow (usually), and you can go skiiing, sledding, skating, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, etc.!

Old 09-20-2006, 05:17 PM

409 posts, read 1,748,783 times
That's my kind of weather

Old 06-19-2007, 10:21 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times
I just found this thread. Saves me the trouble of posting a new one I was wondering if anyone addressed what a New England winter was really like. My family and I coming from Southern Calif, we just dont get snow. The last time it did snow here, my 19 year old was still in her stroller. It lasted for 2 days I think. I would love nothing more for my 2 daughters to experience a beautiful snowfall. There is nothing like it. When I lived in Iceland, we got so much snow, and everytime it snowed, it was like the first time again. If that makes sense. Having the right clothing is a must. I cant wait till my family and I can go snowmobiling, snowshoeing, taking our first sleigh ride, learning how to ski I have never skied in my life. This should be fun.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:07 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marooned View Post
I am from the South (MS) where it is hot and humid
Hi Marooned. I grew up all over the place, mostly tropical or desert. My first year in New England was magic. I'm not trying to get too silly, but there is something about experiencing four seasons that completes and rounds out the year. I love the distincness and uniqueness that each season brings. Right now the first cicada is starting to buzz...I know summer is in full swing.

I'll visit, but I'll never move south. Good luck.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:30 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,957,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Hi Marooned. I grew up all over the place, mostly tropical or desert. My first year in New England was magic. I'm not trying to get too silly, but there is something about experiencing four seasons that completes and rounds out the year. I love the distincness and uniqueness that each season brings. Right now the first cicada is starting to buzz...I know summer is in full swing.

I'll visit, but I'll never move south. Good luck.
Dockside, I cant wait till I can tell someone that my first year in Vermont was magic. I am so jealous I cant wait for my kids to experience their first snowfall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont