Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:07 PM

130 posts, read 277,440 times

Advertisements

Once again heading up to Burlington yesterday I was stuck in a line of about 15 cars being slowed by someone going 40-45 north on 7. Like usual when we all got to the double lane north of the light Mr. Slowpoke hammered up the hill like they were on the autobahn. About 7 cars back, I got up to over 60 mph and they were still pulling away. Of course as soon as they got to the single lane they slowed again to 40-45 and continued driving in La La land.

It's a very familiar thing that I've seen repeated countless times there. How can people possibly be so unaware when they are driving? No, they weren't texting/talking, just in their own little world because they were the only car on Rt. 7 yesterday.

People, rear view mirrors, please use then for something other than looking at yourself. The life you save may be your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 02:37 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,299,705 times
I know....I always laugh when I'm on that hill. People think it turns into an interstate or something! I keep it right at 50-55 mph and people FLY by only to slow down at the top.
When in that area I prefer the back roads over 7 (Mt. Philo Road, Spear St). Yes... a little slower but no traffic and very scenic.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:21 PM

317 posts, read 750,229 times
I know that hill coming out of Charlotte into Shelburne at the top is a farm and usually a state police car with radar.
They got me a few years back going 62 MPH where it turns back into a single lane. My insurance agent said they get lots of people there.

But I'm also a big fan of Mt. Philo Road, Spear St just don't tell too many people about that short cut.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:05 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,299,705 times
Greenbush Road from Ferrisburg to Shelburne (names changes to Bostwick Rd in Shelburne) is a nice alternative as well.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:59 PM

I usually just go through Monkton/Hinesburg unless I have to stop at Fiddlehead Brewery.

One day when I was going up the autobahn the state police had a speed trap half way up it. I wasn't speeding [much] and didn't get pinched but I was so incensed about them pinching people on the only area where you can usually hope to get by slow pokes I called the state police and complained.

The officer I spoke was almost apologetic and reeled off some explanation about federal highway funding and speed limit compliance check being the reason for the speed trap. I dunno, I have no reason to not believe him…..

Old 12-29-2013, 06:47 PM

23,670 posts, read 70,788,722 times
Get the tag number next time and report the person. There are two possibilities - passive aggressive driver and shill for the cops. Make sure that you get the name date and time of the driver AND the person you report it to. There is a concept called "entrapment." You are describing a variation of it.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:53 PM

317 posts, read 750,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Greenbush Road from Ferrisburg to Shelburne (names changes to Bostwick Rd in Shelburne) is a nice alternative as well.
I find myself going south on Spear at Williston Rd (UVM) to the end and taking a right that brings me into Ferrisburg by the Mobile station just to stay off RT 7 and all those lights.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:05 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,402,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targo View Post
Once again heading up to Burlington yesterday I was stuck in a line of about 15 cars being slowed by someone going 40-45 north on 7. Like usual when we all got to the double lane north of the light Mr. Slowpoke hammered up the hill like they were on the autobahn. About 7 cars back, I got up to over 60 mph and they were still pulling away. Of course as soon as they got to the single lane they slowed again to 40-45 and continued driving in La La land.

It's a very familiar thing that I've seen repeated countless times there. How can people possibly be so unaware when they are driving? No, they weren't texting/talking, just in their own little world because they were the only car on Rt. 7 yesterday.

People, rear view mirrors, please use then for something other than looking at yourself. The life you save may be your own.
It's a tactic used on many roads here, especially the Interstate. It's Intentional. They want to keep you behind them. It's been done to me daily on the interstate for decades. If you slow down and pull in behind them, they will slow down as well. They will speed up if you try to pass again. I've not witnessed this is any other state, anywhere.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 AM

23,670 posts, read 70,788,722 times
Charlotte NC used to be worse. It could be a three lane highway and three cars would work together to do a rolling roadblock. In Alabama, Jan 1 to Dec 31 is considered open season on them by some of the less couth. Managing the herd and all that.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:21 AM

I find driving a black, full size, crew cab dully with a gun rack in the rear window that people tend to be less combative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont