Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,061 times

Advertisements

....In Barre, however; my duty station will share jurisdiction between Barre and Burlington.

So, this is basically me introducin' myself as well as a few questions/concerns.

I'm 23, single, in the military, will be up in Vermont for about 3 years. Originally from the south, (NC), got the accent to boot, can dance, box, and play football. My job as of now in the military is Computer Network Administration on a Submarine....and I'm about to get stationed up in VT as a recruiter for the last 3 years of my Naval Career.

First question:
-Racism? I took a trip up to Vermont to get a general specimen of social "air" and encountered....racism from some small ass dude standing outside a bar called "Rasputin's" in Burlington. He was the entry guy. Refused to let me in till the other guy nearly slapped the sht out of him on grounds that I gave him my military ID. The one dude left. The other dude with the refusal issue decided he was going to shove me on the way in. This dude...looked like a Triscuit tryin' to wear a T-Shirt . I'm 6'2", 220. Stupidity at it's greatest. I shirked it off on grounds of lack of importance. Smh....on the flipside...the women up there...(attractive as all hell...)...I guess I experienced the..."opposite"? Lol.

Second question:
-Dance? Same weekend, I noticed hip hop and rnb and what not aren't...."popular"? I do a lot of dance when not on duty...(near competition type). Wondering if there's any good studios for that genre around there....(Anywhere between/near Barre to Burlington).

Third question:
-Trying to go Golden Gloves. Any good boxing gyms up there? If not, any good MMA gyms up there? I've used Google for these but word of mouth in an area such as this is usually, if not, doubly good.

Any good/positive responses would be much appreciated. And yes, I've read numerous topics on racial issues in Vermont as it's a concern for me being the only one at my duty station that is black in such a small state. NO, I'm am NOT racist. Lol. <---Disclaimer for those who find it necessary to point out their state has...an existing...(if not limited and foreign)...population of "blacks".

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:43 AM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I'd go with Burlington or maybe some of the nearby places like Winooski or South Burlington. I think Burlington has a semi-pro football team. So, if you are interested in that, there may be an opportunity for you to play with them. Vermont Ice Storm Semi-Pro Football I know when I was stationed at Fort Drum NY, there were soldiers that played for the Watertown Red & Black.

Also, Montreal is only an hour or so away. There is a Black community there that is concentrated in the Southwestern part of the city, but there are Black folks through out the city/area. It is a metro area of about 3.5-4 million and the metro is about 5-7% Black. You have to have a passport or an enhanced driver's license to enter Canada though. Check to see if Vermont offers an enhanced drivers license. Enhanced Licenses, Permits & ID's | Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles

Plattsburgh NY on the other side of Lake Champlain may also have some things you are interested in as well.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, Montreal is only an hour or so away. There is a Black community there that is concentrated in the Southwestern part of the city, but there are Black folks through out the city/area. It is a metro area of about 3.5-4 million and the metro is about 5-7% Black. You have to have a passport or an enhanced driver's license to enter Canada though. Check to see if Vermont offers an enhanced drivers license. Enhanced Licenses, Permits & ID's | Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
Although most blacks in Montreal are quite different from African-Americans... Some things in common for sure but not a huge amount.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:15 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Although most blacks in Montreal are quite different from African-Americans... Some things in common for sure but not a huge amount.
For one, Blacks in Montreal speak French and come from a multitude of backgrounds. A sizable number are immigrants from Haiti and Senegal.

On the other hand, Malcolm X's father used to live in Montreal for a short time. Oscar Peterson is from Montreal. He lived in Little Burgundy.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, the Black community is diverse and it does include some that descend from African Americans, while much of it does come from the Caribbean and Africa. Some speak French as their first language and some speak English for their first language. Many, if not most are bilingual though. Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui85P...e_gdata_player

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-01-2012 at 08:43 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
For one, Blacks in Montreal speak French and come from a multitude of backgrounds. A sizable number are immigrants from Haiti and Senegal.

On the other hand, Malcolm X's father used to live in Montreal for a short time. Oscar Peterson is from Montreal. He lived in Little Burgundy.
Also, some Black Pullman Porters lived in Little Burgundy too.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:27 AM

Alexander Twilight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was the first African-American to ever receive a Bachelor's degree. He was born a free person in Vermont.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, some Black Pullman Porters lived in Little Burgundy too.
I knew Little Burgundy was a big center for Montreal's Black population. I didn't know there were Pullman Porters in Montreal.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I knew Little Burgundy was a big center for Montreal's Black population. I didn't know there were Pullman Porters in Montreal.
Yes and I believe that Oscar Peterson's father was one. I believe that he came from Barbados though. http://www.windsor-communities.com/african-labour-brotherhood.php (broken link)

Anyway, the OP isn't too far from a city with a good concentration of Black culture. BlackMontreal.com

Festival International Film Black Montreal

Black Montreal

Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,991 times
Dude...
You sound like a level-headed guy. You will do fine. I'm a white guy with interracial marriages and children on both sides and it's my opinion that it has always been fear and ignorance that makes people hateful.
Be nice to the haters and people will WANT to be your friend. No normal person wants to be racist. In fact, most people would love to say they have friends of all backgrounds.
Stay cool and always be the bigger man.
good luck in VT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont