Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 08:21 AM

19 posts, read 66,906 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm trying to figure out my budget for our move to Island Pond and one thing has me a bit stymied. What is a typical water bill for metered water in the area? It's only DH and I are we aren't water hogs by any stretch, we tend to be conservers. We also plan to install a small cistern for the garden water so hopefully won't irrigate and only need household water.

I currently am on a community well system and get 1/2 acre of water per year for $480. Our water isn't metered they assume the price based on 1/2 acre of irrigated land.

Any help appreciated!

Anna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 08:57 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
Island Pond may not have metered water. Chances are you will be on a private well.
Give the town clerk a call - www.islandpond.com (broken link).

Old 10-01-2007, 09:03 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,788,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annawolfsong View Post
Hello, I'm trying to figure out my budget for our move to Island Pond and one thing has me a bit stymied. What is a typical water bill for metered water in the area? It's only DH and I are we aren't water hogs by any stretch, we tend to be conservers. We also plan to install a small cistern for the garden water so hopefully won't irrigate and only need household water.

I currently am on a community well system and get 1/2 acre of water per year for $480. Our water isn't metered they assume the price based on 1/2 acre of irrigated land.

Any help appreciated!

Anna
Anna -

Island Pond is the village contained within the town of Brighton Vermont. At roughly 1400 people, it's the largest town in Essex County. There are presently 37 properties on the market in Brighton.

There's a municipal water and sewer system which essentially surrounds the lake. If you're on that system, you'll have your meter read quarterly and be billed annually to the tune of approximately $550.00 per year for both water and waste, I'm told. You'll want to ask about the particular property you're considering of course.

May I suggest calling the town clerk?
I'm told she's very helpful. If you send me a message or email me I'll give you her phone number. Or you may just want to ask your Realtor for the utility costs etc - it's going to vary a lot depending upon whether you're on town water and sewer and a variety of other factors.

In Chittenden County (close enough to drive to VT! ) if you call the utility companies and specify the property, they'll give you figures over the phone if you're in a position to need the information. The utility will ask you what property you'd like to know about. You may need to convince them to give you a guestimate for this cost over the phone if you have not property in mind.

Please let us know what you find out - and if you can solve the mystery of what happened to the color RED in this year's foliage...share with the group!

In Burlington, there's a city utility we pay for water and sewer. But it's vastly better than maintaining a well for my purposes, even though it's expensive by the standards above...

David Beckett

Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 AM

19 posts, read 66,906 times
Thanks Dave! This is precisely the information I was looking for. The Island Pond website hasn't been working for me today which is why I didn't call the clerk. I also vastly prefer "city" water to a well. The problems we've had with wells in Idaho in recent years are huge and I'm just dang tired of it.

I've got most of my other costs roughed out, now it's just getting this behemoth of a house I have here in IF cleaned and SOLD! Luckily the market here is still moving along nicely.

Wierd that there's no red in the foliage for you guys, we've actually just started to turn here but it's the same old gold, yellow, and bronze. The snow on Saturday will probably speed things up and now we'll have a quick change with leaf drop. I picked the last of the tomatoes during the snowstorm, now it's time to rip them out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont