Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 05:31 PM

74 posts, read 348,244 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I am still very seriously considering moving to Burlington. Everytime I go to Vermont I am so happy to be there, and everytime I return NYC "gets to me" a bit more (the crowds, congestion, garbage on the sidewalks, SUBWAY TRAVEL especially during rush hour - that alone is enough to get to anyone I think). As much as anything else, my being able to move will depend on getting a job, as I can't move until that happens, but haven't gotten into the job search so much yet because I'm still looking to move after the winter, so I can spend more time there during the COLD times, to see how it is for myself (and imagine what it will be like living there when it's not all sunny and warm to be able to stroll around and hang outside all day.

However, there is one thing that I can't find an answer no matter how much research I do or visit however many times - how much hiking can one REALLY do in the winter months? I have the "gear" for this, meaning layers of clothing, hats, gloves, etc., and am going to buy stabilicers for this winter here (btw, if anyone has any advice about which stabilicers they recommend to buy, I would love any suggestions on this!!). I am also really excited about learning how to snowshoe in Vermont, and probably will be just as happy snowshoeing for "hiking" whenever I could, too. I love hiking, and go any Saturday or Sunday I can here (outside NYC, of course), and always with my dog! I know how the winters are here but I'm sure much colder and more snow/ice in parts of Vermont! I guess it comes down to this - if one is mostly a "four season hiker," how realistic is that really in Vermont (knowing that I will be living in Burlington, so hoping to find spots somewhat close to there).

As always, I am grateful and so appreciative of any and all responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 06:31 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,858,876 times
Snowshoeing is fantastic up here even when conditions are not great for cross-country skiing. I hike quite a bit from late spring well into fall, but I don't get into the technical stuff involving crampons and picks during the winter. Many however do enjoy that and there are great places to test your skills and offer challenges. I prefer to get out in the forest and snowshoe as you don't have to worry about the normal obstacles and when you gain elevation the views are great without the foliage.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:45 PM

Thank you flu189! I'm wondering, though, if I want to be able to snowshoe, and use stabilicers when needed, but not go "crazy" with the ice picking and all that, ABOUT how many months of the year do you think is realistic for me to expect to be able to go hiking/snowshoeing? In other words, if one of the big reasons for me to want to move to Vermont is to be able to be closer and more accessible to hiking and being outdoors (obviously, there are more reasons for me than just that), I want to have the best idea I can of what that means - is it really only 7 or 8 months at the most that I can hike/snowshoe there?

Old 09-24-2007, 06:54 AM

With a combination of hiking and snowshoeing your options can open up to twelve month year round activity. The only time it gets limited is late March through April during "mud season" due to snow melt and rainfall or if we have a very wet fall with exteneded freeze and thaw days. Even so, there are many lower elevation trails that remain suitable during spring. Last year I was hiking trails in my area in December with little to no snow and temps even reaching the 40s. Then in February and March we had two good snow storms and I was snowshoeing well into April. Snow will remain at higher elevations well into May so you may start a hike on a nice 60 degree day with dry trail at 1200 feet elevation and once you reach 2600 feet and above you will be dealing with 12 to 18 inches of remaining snow. I used this an example since it happened to me last May in my area.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,827,457 times
Not sure if you consider this hiking, the 26 mile long Missisquoi Valley Rail Trail
from St Albans to Sheldon is awesome for both x-c skiing and snowshoeing in the winter. Lots of other places in northern Vermont.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:01 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlandpup View Post
Hi everyone!
Everytime I go to Vermont I am so happy to be there, and everytime I return NYC "gets to me" a bit more
I know how you feel. When I'd fly back to Chicago from a visit to Vermont I couldn't stand being back on the highway. Backed up a mile from the toll booth. A thousand red rear car lights in front of me and a thousand headlights driving toward me.

I don't want to be a downer here, but my one complaint about hiking in Northern New England is the bugs. I don't know if you're used to them, but they really wreck hiking for me from late May to Mid-August. Not just mosquitoes, but the deerflies and blackflies. Seriously, my number one complaint about Vermont (and NH and ME) are the frigging bugs.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:05 PM

We can definately be on the buggy side, but this varies year to year. The deer flies are what drive me crazy, but with the right combination of clothing and deet your outdoor time can be enjoyable. This past year from my experience was not all that bad.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
With a combination of hiking and snowshoeing your options can open up to twelve month year round activity. The only time it gets limited is late March through April during "mud season" due to snow melt and rainfall or if we have a very wet fall with exteneded freeze and thaw days. Even so, there are many lower elevation trails that remain suitable during spring. Last year I was hiking trails in my area in December with little to no snow and temps even reaching the 40s. Then in February and March we had two good snow storms and I was snowshoeing well into April. Snow will remain at higher elevations well into May so you may start a hike on a nice 60 degree day with dry trail at 1200 feet elevation and once you reach 2600 feet and above you will be dealing with 12 to 18 inches of remaining snow. I used this an example since it happened to me last May in my area.
Thank you, again! This was very helpful, and makes me feel much better about my possibilities there for hiking/snowshoeing. I have no problem at all staying in the lower elevations during some of the colder/snowy times - I can save the views for the spring, fall, and summer times (with the exception of during "mud season," when I know so many of the trails have to close to protect them). I will be fine if there are weeks here and there when being outdoors and hiking/snowshoeing for my dog and I won't be possible (due to ice, extreme freezing temps, or mud, although my dog probably wouldn't care about the freezing temps - he is part husky). I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't more like months (like three or four) when it would be out of the question.

Also, thank you for sharing your own story (from last May)! That must have been quite the interesting hike!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I know how you feel. When I'd fly back to Chicago from a visit to Vermont I couldn't stand being back on the highway. Backed up a mile from the toll booth. A thousand red rear car lights in front of me and a thousand headlights driving toward me.

I don't want to be a downer here, but my one complaint about hiking in Northern New England is the bugs. I don't know if you're used to them, but they really wreck hiking for me from late May to Mid-August. Not just mosquitoes, but the deerflies and blackflies. Seriously, my number one complaint about Vermont (and NH and ME) are the frigging bugs.
That sounds as bad as being in the NYC subway during rush hour to and from work, sandwiched between people and forced to be much too close to strangers!

I get those bugs hiking here in NY/NJ trails in spring/early summer, too! Especially the black flies - they seem to love going straight into my eyes (literally - I have had to stop to get a bug out of one of my eyes many times - YUK!). I finally found what works the best for me - bug repellent with some percentage of DEET in it. I will spray it onto my hands and then rub it on my neck, arms, wherever skin is exposed (try to avoid my face though, especially because of the DEET in it). Also, I often at least start out, and often stay in, long hiking pants (lightest ones I have) rather than shorts, even in real hot days because of bugs/ticks. This is what has worked for me, so I wanted to share it with you to see if maybe it would be helpful for you.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:52 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,144,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlandpup View Post
That sounds as bad as being in the NYC subway during rush hour to and from work, sandwiched between people and forced to be much too close to strangers!

I get those bugs hiking here in NY/NJ trails in spring/early summer, too! Especially the black flies - they seem to love going straight into my eyes (literally - I have had to stop to get a bug out of one of my eyes many times - YUK!). I finally found what works the best for me - bug repellent with some percentage of DEET in it. I will spray it onto my hands and then rub it on my neck, arms, wherever skin is exposed (try to avoid my face though, especially because of the DEET in it). Also, I often at least start out, and often stay in, long hiking pants (lightest ones I have) rather than shorts, even in real hot days because of bugs/ticks. This is what has worked for me, so I wanted to share it with you to see if maybe it would be helpful for you.
Thanks for the tip.

Well it sounds like you can handle it, so come on up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont