Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,084 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering purchasing a home in Montgomery, VT better known as the covered bridge town. We currently reside in Connecticut and the crime & whole justice system is totally out of control. There has been a series of home invasions & one was very serious where a Doctor survived but his 2 younger daughter's and his Wife were killed violently & our Governor has currently locked everyone up that was on Parole & the prison's are overflowing. We are looking to live a simple life, surrounded by fresh mountain air, mountains & a place where we don't have to worry about crime. We would appreciate any information you could provide us. We would love to raise Alpacas.
Best regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 06:43 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,265,518 times
Montgomery is very, very rural. It will be quite a change from CT. It'll be quite a drive to amenities (groceries, movies, etc). I assume raising alpacas would be your "job"? If not, please know that good jobs are hard to come by and being in Montgomery would mean quite a commute. I strongly recommend that you rent for a while so you can see what living up here is really like - and fyi....there was a murder in Montgomery a few years back (not a random crime), and a young girl has been presumed to be adbducted after she left her job at an inn there. Crime is everywhere-noone and no place is immune. Overall though, Vermont is a very very safe place to live. My intent is not to "scare" you, but folks seem to come up here with such rose-colored glasses and without knowing the negatives. It's NOT an easy life up here as some people presume it to be.
The County Courier Search uncovers no Maitland connection (http://www.thecountycourier.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=4272&Itemid= - broken link)

Old 11-29-2007, 08:42 AM

46 posts, read 220,569 times
I agree with Vter. I know both cases mentioned- I'm looking forward to leaving MA and returning to VT for the same reasons, and have become fearful of home invasions now that I'm a mother and live in the city. I taught in a neighboring town to Montgomery when the Maitland case occurred- it was so sad, and I was a single girl with a long commute on those same roads. It's everywhere, but not as in your face and common in VT- partly because of the basic fact that the population is smaller.
Montgomery is beautiful and quaint in some ways. Jay Peak brings some life in- but I strongly agree with Vter- it is WAY off the beaten path and is at least 1.5 hours to Burlington and such. It gets very cold, and some of the routes you might take are inaccessible during certain seasons- too much snow, lots of moose- during mud season, some of the roads literally turn to a firm pudding with ruts that cover your wheels and suck you in like quicksand. Then they freeze and throw you into oncoming cars!
It is possible to find many places that have many of the same qualities, but that are less of a commitment to a life of isolation! I saw much sadness in my classroom- so many kids in poor families with parents hooked on drugs, and no job opportunities to speak of. Lots of bored kids out in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. Quite a few people who are financially comfortable, and then a huge number of poverty-stricken folks, and not many in between.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:45 AM

46 posts, read 220,569 times
Oh, and one more thing! Covered bridge town brings one more factor to mind! Imagine being 45 min. into an hour commute and having to turn around because the bridge is flooded! The late spring is a time of heavy flooding in that area with all of the mountain run-off - snow thawing. Finding a back way is tricky, and you end up pretty late for work. Don't ask me how I know!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 3,682 times
Wink moved here from NJ

My parents moved up here from N.J. in 1986 to retire, they fell in love with an old barn that was made into a house right on 118 in the center. they loved garage sales and antiques. My wife and I moved up here from N.J. in 2003 to open a restaurant and be closer to mom & dad. So..... yes it's true what all the others are saying, but.... IT'S DEFFINITLY A FAR CRY FROM THE 24/7 RAT RACE OF NEW JERSEY!!!! we have never been back to Jersey since we love it here friends, neighbors, and community, all caring for one another is a beautiful thing. Yes life is a little harder here the restaurant has slow times and extremly busy times ( during tourist season ) but what's wrong with a little challenge, no planes over head, no trains up here just big green mountains, fresh clean water, and the smell of cow **** every spring and summer.... we call it sweet air...and the big tanks they move it in are called "honey pots", so I hope you make the right choice for yourselves and not by anyone's influience. enjoy.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:34 AM

9 posts, read 21,268 times
i live near Montgomery and find it to be a great little village. there are some great places for food and drink in town as well as a small grocery store. for me the inconvenience of a longer commute are dwarfed by the lifestyle i live here in Vermont. that said, i wish you luck in whatever you choose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont