Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:53 PM

28 posts, read 151,628 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone!
My husband just got a job in Berlin Vermont and we need to move in about 2 weeks. We live in new Mexico and I'm originally from Romania. None of us have ever been there and we don't know anyone in the area. We found some info on the internet and we know that the winters can be harsh and long there, but the summers and the falls are beautiful. What do we need to know before we get there? What should we expect? How are the houses? We might need to rent for a while before we find a house. Thank you everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 06:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I haven't seen it first hand myself, but you'll be arriving for mud season. Google image "mud season." Stay on paved roads until mud season ends.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:41 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
Good Luck to you and your husband. Housing, whether you rent or purchase is pricey. I would look at Berlin, Barre and Montpelier (as we used to call it "Montpeculiar") for housing. Personally I would rent for a year before deciding to purchase. But that is just me. Make sure you get over and see the Burlington area as well as the Northeast Kingdom while you are there. Expect the locals to be standoffish at first until they feel comfortable with you. It is just an New England thing. Don't take it personally, they are like that with everyone. Vermonters especially measure out their words. Expect the people (natives) to be rugged, independent and resourceful. Mud season yes, the back roads will be mire pits and people will be tapping trees for sap. Spring summer and fall, my favorite times of the year, are coming. Winters ARE harsh so find something to do in winter time because SADS and "cabin fever" can affect you.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:58 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,007 times
OP, a lot about any major move is how you choose to look at your situation. A move to a strange place can be intimidating or an adventure. Houses here can be old/drafty but "full of character" compared to New Mexico houses. People here are more reserved but what you see is what you get versus a lot of "fronts' put on in larger cities. You will find a lot of good hard working people; probably harder working than in a lot of places since our cost of living is higher. I find our quality of living is more and thus worth the personal cost. Not all agree. I too arrived in mud season, but only looking for a place to live. I fell in love with it then so the rest of the seasons are a plus. Definitely explore the entire state and NH and NY as well since they're very close neighbors.

Mainly, keep your mind open and consider it a journey in learning a different way of life. I think everyone should step outside their box and expand their outlooks and lives.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:42 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
To me, Vermont is one of the best kept secrets. Everyone gets scared away by the winters but Vermont has a lot to offer. I moved here during mud season to a cabin on a mountain (yeah, a dirt road) so I learned first hand about mud season. But it was very quiet-which was the reason why I moved there.

In terms of housing, renting for a while is a good idea as you get to know the area better. Vermont has a lot of beautiful old historic houses. Some people chose to buy a piece of property and build. There are so many choices to make.

I wish you luck with the move.

Cat

Old 03-30-2014, 05:23 PM

Thank you so much everyone for your precious advice. I am nervous of course, but like you said, I will take it as an adventure. Yes, we will rent first, our house in New Mexico didn't sell yet, and we can't afford two houses. Also, we'll need to buy a 4 wheeler.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:27 PM

317 posts, read 747,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana7 View Post
Thank you so much everyone for your precious advice. I am nervous of course, but like you said, I will take it as an adventure. Yes, we will rent first, our house in New Mexico didn't sell yet, and we can't afford two houses. Also, we'll need to buy a 4 wheeler.
You most likely won't need a four wheel drive in the Berlin area, Welcome.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:29 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
It's always best to rent first, even if you can afford to buy. You don't want to be stuck in an area you will end up disliking. If the job is in Berlin you have options where to live. You can live anywhere between Randolph and Waterbury and still have a short commute. If you need to be within the greater Berlin area, I would focus on Montpelier, Berlin or Barre Town. Barre City is in my opinion one of the least desirable places in the state to live.
While winters are more harsh in that section of the state, you will not need 4 wheel drive. All you need are very good snow tires and front wheel drive. I lived in Brookfield, which is about 15-20 minutes from Berlin and it was one of the snow belts in the state. I commuted to Burlington from there for 10 years (at the time I drove a Dodge Neon). I never had an issue (1 hour commute). I worked nights and the only time it was a hassle was when we would get a big dump of snow and I would need to clear the driveway before I could get into the driveway. Ice is the worst part of winter and at that, four wheel drive is useless. For people not used to driving in the snow, four wheel drive gives a false sense of safety. If you have a front wheel drive now, keep it and get snows in the fall.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:06 AM

809 posts, read 998,220 times
Welcome to Vermont! To really enjoy wherever you land in the Berlin/Barre area, get involved-- register to vote and connect with one of the local political committees-- Republican, Democratic, Progressive or-- if you're a real romantic-- Liberty Union. If you're inclined, seek out the local Peace and Justice group, Berlin Area Peace Group or the Vermont Workers Center. Vermont is working toward a health care system that will provide affordable, accessible, constant (it stays with you even if you lose your job) coverage for all. You might want to help keep the legislature's spine stiff on that issue.

If you are handy, you can buy a home very cheaply through a tax sale and pour your money into it fixing it up. Most tax sale homes are redeemed by the owner, so if you don't get it, you get your deposit back, plus more interest than you'd get in a savings account. Land is available also through tax sales, but you have to do very thorough research to make sure there aren't hidden problems like no right of way or huge backlogs of other taxes.

If you are thinking of building, your first concern should be energy efficiency.

It will help to remember that February is the month that gains 1.5 hours of sunlight; if you like Vermont in February, you'll love it the rest of the year. Taking up snowshoeing will make the winters delightful-- it's cheap, there are no crowds, you don't have to wait in line, you can make your own trails, you never get lost, you can do it just about anywhere, and you use 18 calories a minute.

If you feel a need to stay in shape, get a bike. No matter where you live, you'll have an uphill ride every day.

Enjoy!

Old 04-01-2014, 03:37 PM

We're getting ready to leave in about 2 weeks and we could't find anything to rent yet. It's kind of scary... Do you guys know some houses for rent around Berlin or in Montpellier? Or do you think it's a good idea to wait, stay in a hotel for a couple of days and try find something once we're there? Is it too risky? Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont