Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 06:15 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times

Advertisements

I was actually surprised they closed school today. It looks like the roads are melted and it's warmer than it has been. My son only had half a day anyhow but I still wonder why they did it, unless it was 'bad' and I am only seeing the ice melted due to the town sanding and salting (amazing job by the way..).
Last week was a STORM, so I see why they did it then.
Funny (and sad) we used to have bad storms in NY and my son's school NEVER closed. That district was THE WORST. At least they are sensible here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 11:22 AM

104 posts, read 491,455 times
There is one more thing that may have them decide on school closing. If the bus route uses a lot of dirt roads that may have problems driving on these roads. I live on the main road and sometimes, I wonder why there is school closing but in my town, a lot of kids live on dirt roads.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:43 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
Guy who was supposed to work on my furnace just told me he couldn't make it up my driveway. Said he'll come back tomorrow with the vehicle equipped with snow tires. There's a thought.

One thing I'll say about Vermont and it's service people, it's rare that you make an appointment and actually get your work done. Always a cancellation, delay or whatever excuse.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:50 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Agree with Chrismpv. Also, in more urban towns where kids walk to school, school will sometimes be cancelled or delayed because the sidewalks have not been plowed yet.
Also, school sometimes is delayed or cancelled during our cold snaps (i.e. below zero for a week at a time) because the heating system in the school can't keep up or, more often than not, the buses won't start.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:34 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
So when there are all these closings, do they make up the time with extra days tacked on at the end of the year?

Old 12-12-2007, 12:41 PM

They usually calculate approximately 4 days of closing in their school year. If they close more often, it added at the end and YES, it happens often.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:11 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
So when there are all these closings, do they make up the time with extra days tacked on at the end of the year?
Yes, they tack on extra days. I was surprised to see they get out about the second week in June but if this keeps up (snow days every week or so?) it will be the end of June.

Also, you guys are right, the bus goes all over the town (I happen to be on the main street) and one of these hills is huge and not very accessible so that is probably why they closed.

Tomorrow night is 'The Christmas Show' so let's hope the weather holds out. The kids have been working hard and want to have their show here.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:53 PM

Same here, my daughter has a concert tomorrow night..

Old 12-12-2007, 02:38 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Guy who was supposed to work on my furnace just told me he couldn't make it up my driveway. Said he'll come back tomorrow with the vehicle equipped with snow tires. There's a thought.

One thing I'll say about Vermont and it's service people, it's rare that you make an appointment and actually get your work done. Always a cancellation, delay or whatever excuse.
Interesting observation. Now I know that I just don't have lousy luck. It takes quite a bit of calling and prodding to get work done. The estimates, however, are done quickly, but then come the delays or lack of call backs. I suppose some of this could be related to a legitimate surplus of work and then again some of it could come from an attitude of we are the only game in town so competition is not a make or break issue in staying in business. The one thing that really angers me is that when work is done and is substandard requiring a return visit to fix something that should have been attended to in the first place.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:57 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
The school my children go to add seven days for cancellations. Most years they go through all of them. Two years ago we planned a trip to Florida on June 27th. The kids had to miss the last day or two due to the number of school cancellations. When I lived in Brookfield, most of our roads were dirt and most of our cancellations were in the spring due to the roads being in such poor condition with everything thawing out.

I bet the reason for canceling school was due to the half day. Many schools had 90 min delays and with a delay that long plus a half day it wasn't going to be a very productive day. It's to bad this storm hit on a half day and ate up one of your cancellation days. As you said it could be a long school year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: