Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 11:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,598,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
The other difference is that kids of affluent families have the financial means to buy their fixes and don't need to commit petty larceny and armed robbery.
If you don't have the financial means to save your own kid from addiction, it's a problem if their affluent friends are doing drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 04:54 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,526,017 times
IMHO - The DRUG problem is highly exaggerated by the news to keep people seeing the adds, politicians so they can be heroes for solving the problem and by the fear mongers so they can keep people distracted from our real problems such as our corrupted economy and Forever War.

The RW uses Vermont's drug problem (easily solved by providing the addicts with cheap supplies) is used to show how a Liberal state is evil and degenerate. I suggest they look at almost any RED state for better and bigger drug problems.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,598,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO - The DRUG problem is highly exaggerated by the news to keep people seeing the adds, politicians so they can be heroes for solving the problem and by the fear mongers so they can keep people distracted from our real problems such as our corrupted economy and Forever War.

The RW uses Vermont's drug problem (easily solved by providing the addicts with cheap supplies) is used to show how a Liberal state is evil and degenerate. I suggest they look at almost any RED state for better and bigger drug problems.
It's not highly exaggerated. My goodness. Step outside your backyard.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:15 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,357,839 times
Good grief GregW, cross the river. We have shootings in downtowns in broad daylight, break-ins, armed robbery. It is NOT exaggerated by any means.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:20 PM

809 posts, read 991,422 times
When Springfield had 54 heroin users back in the mid-Ninties, there wasn't any sort of an outcry about a "drug problem." They were all white. When Adam Corliss killed Christina Little in a drug deal in Springfield, there wasn't any outcry about a "drug problem." They were both white. It didn't become a "drug problem" until non-whites started acting like the whites here. We need to get a grip.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
When Springfield had 54 heroin users back in the mid-Ninties, there wasn't any sort of an outcry about a "drug problem." They were all white. When Adam Corliss killed Christina Little in a drug deal in Springfield, there wasn't any outcry about a "drug problem." They were both white. It didn't become a "drug problem" until non-whites started acting like the whites here. We need to get a grip.
Thank you for the proof that the problem has been swept under the rug for many years. I am amazed that Shumlin comes across as a hero for admitting it and addressing it so many years later. Just as a side note, Howard Dean was governor when Corliss murdered Christina Little.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:11 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,526,017 times
I was riding my motorcycle last week and visited Bellows Falls to get gas and look around. I saw a small old factory town that had seen better days but it didn't look a bad as some NH towns with similar lack of industry. Bellows Falls is in a beautiful location on the Connecticut River. I will ride back again just to see more of the place.

So, I have crossed the river as mentioned. I also have relatives with a business in Wells River, VT and they have ot been talking about any drug problem.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:59 PM

You said Bellows Falls, right? Yes that town has seen better days.

Bellows Falls drug bust results in 10 Vt. people in custody - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Old 07-06-2014, 06:09 PM

41,940 posts, read 36,707,217 times
There are drugs everywhere. Yes, there is an opiate issue in VT. As there is in ME, NH, MA (I see doped up people every single day) and across the U.S. I see it every region I go to and have lived in. Some places it is more meth, others more opiates, some both, but worse in VT? Doubt it very much, it just might be a greater contrast to expectations.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:52 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,556,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
Really? The race card?

This has nothing to do with race and everything to do with a shift in addictive substances. 90's saw crack. Crackheads die. Then kids got into stealing prescription meds from mom and dad's medicine chest. Oxy was made harder to grind and snort, so these kids moved onto Heroin.

Heroin dealers from the big cities saw the movement of the drugs north and followed the money. Looking at the pictures I am seeing from many of these drug busts, a good number of them are white. Yes, there are some black and some Hispanics in on the deal as well, but to state that the problem didn't come to the forefront until darker skinned individuals started showing up on the scene is preposterous.

VPR: Surge In Heroin And Prescription Drug Abuse In Vt. Towns

Quote:
According to the Vermont Health Department, the number of people in Rutland County who sought help for addiction to heroin and pain pills - the current drugs of choice - has gone up seven fold since 2000 to 383.
But Franklin and Grand Isle counties saw their numbers jump as well from 13 in 2000 to 322 last year. Windsor and Bennington Counties have also seen large increases.
Clay Gilbert is the director of Evergreen Substance Abuse Services, an outpatient treatment center in Rutland. "I think the whole country has a serious addiction problem," says Gilbert, "and unfortunately, there's a pill for everything." And there are lots of pills being prescribed in Vermont.
Gilbert says he was shocked by what he heard at a community forum last year in Rutland. "A pharmacist stood up and gave a statistic that made my jaw drop and not many things make my jaw drop and this did."
The pharmacist talked about data gathered by the Vermont Prescription Monitoring System which showed over a million doses of Oxycodone were prescribed in Rutland County the previous year. Oxycodone is the opiate-based painkiller found in drugs like: Tylox, Percocet and Oxycontin, says Gilbert. "Which figures out to 17 pills for every man woman and child in the county."
But the problem is not just in Rutland. Grand Isle and Bennington counties had even higher per capita prescription rates.
In essence, people receiving legitimate prescriptions -- whose children/grandchildren stole some -- as well as unscrupulous doctors doling out opiate-based meds to anyone have played a part in the drug addiction problem we see today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont