Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 05:05 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,858 times

Advertisements

Sorry to bother you all with my somewhat dumb question.

I grew up in Massachusetts, but I spent about a year in Vermont back in 2002 and 2003. At the time I was living there I met a few people who were convinced that New York was part of New England, which we all know to be wrong. These few people I met were all from different towns around northern Vermont so obviously they were taught by different teachers in different schools.

But it left me wondering - Are there schools in Vermont that teach that New York is part of New England? If so, why? If not, then apparently I just ran into a few misinformed people. Where would these people have gotten this information?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 09:58 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I met a few people who were convinced that New York was part of New England,
From a weather perspective Northern NY can very well fit the description of Northern New England. But there's a reason why the border is practically a straight line from Canada to the coast. It's the separation of New England from NY and Mid Atlantic. lol

Old 05-14-2016, 10:40 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Next thing you know, New Yorkers will be wanting to use bathrooms in Vermont! Where will it all stop?

New York is not taught as part of New England, and any REAL Vermonter knows that the Allen boys fought to keep New York from annexing Vermont. However, there are some really spectacularly dumb people in Vermont as well as other states.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:09 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Vermont used to be part of New York. But that doesn't explain it either.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:28 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
BTW, this is the current temps, satellite and radar. I thought it was funny since I mentioned it. LOL

Is it ironic the Cloud edge is at the border and almost straight north to South? Weird. Maybe there is a wall? LOL.

Probably something to do with mountains for now until the front pushes more East

You can view current temps here.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:06 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Next thing you know, New Yorkers will be wanting to use bathrooms in Vermont! Where will it all stop?

New York is not taught as part of New England, and any REAL Vermonter knows that the Allen boys fought to keep New York from annexing Vermont. However, there are some really spectacularly dumb people in Vermont as well as other states.
It was after NY had been recognized by the King as owning Vermont that the Green Mountain men rebuffed NY's claims. VT became an independent republic for 14 year as a result. NY was trying to force Vermonters to re-purchase the property that they had already bought when it was part of NH.

No New Englander in their right mind would ever claim NY as being part of us. They never were. They never will be.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:03 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,278,419 times
I lived in New York State (mid-Hudson area) for the first 8 years of my life. We used to go to New England (mostly Maine). Then we moved to Mass. At this time (remember I was 8-10 years old) I thought of New York being part of New England. I was corrected A LOT!!! I now understand that it was wishful thinking on my part. I missed New York but I also loved New England.

I did move back to New York when I was 15 and left when I was 19 and never looked back. I didn't love it like I did when I was eight. I fell in love with Vermont when we were living in Mass. We used to come up frequently so when I was able to chose where I wanted to live-there was no doubt in my mind-it was VERMONT!!!! Best decision I made! No regrets!

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont