Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:23 PM

13 posts, read 14,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I'm not saying that the WRJ doesn't have anything offer. I'm just saying that Rutland area DOES have things to offer. And I believe Plymouth is closer to Rutland than it is from WRJ.

Cat
Thanks for the tips Catwoman :-). Visiting New England is like planning a European vacation. So many options so little time. I'm getting your reply late and have already cancelled my Rutland reservation. I'm have to revisit the area so I can hit all the spots missed on the first go round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 07:40 PM

13 posts, read 14,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
WRJ is close to Hanover, N.H., scenic college town with good bookstores, restaurants, art museum... You can take out a canoe on a scenic stretch of the Connecticut from the Dartmouth Outing Club in Hanover. 30 min downriver (by road) in the town of Cornish is the Saint-Gaudens national historic site, a beautiful memorial to the great late 19th-century sculptor with home, gardens, and exhibits. The covered bridge across the Connecticut at Cornish to Windsor, Vt, is the longest of the covered bridges.

If railroad buffs, by any chance, WRJ is an excellent spot for contemplating the rise and fall of the railroads in this country.

You can shadow the early career of Calvin Coolidge during this trip. Plymouth, Vt has his birthplace and boyhood home; Northampton, Mass is where he lived, worked and became mayor; and in Boston he served as Governor and earned lasting fame for firing striking policemen during the Boston Police strike of 1919.

Thank you missionhill. Everything sounds appealing and Northhampton is on our itinerary for a short stop.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:08 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
in the town of Cornish is the Saint-Gaudens national historic site, a beautiful memorial to the great late 19th-century sculptor with home, gardens, and exhibits. The covered bridge across the Connecticut at Cornish to Windsor, Vt, is the longest of the covered bridges.

missionhill sure got that right. This is actually one of my all time favorite places and it's not to be missed if you have an interest in art, gardens, or beautiful, relaxing scenery. I just remembered, it's not that great in the fall though. It can be too cold and it can be rainy if you combine it with a foliage tour. The roses are gone. But in summer it's a paradise. You might still want to go to that area to cross the covered bridge--it's one of the best.

You can still cruise down rte 91 and spend some time in Northampton though. It's an easy drive and makes a good day trip from the Cornish area. Time to go down and back with room to spare walking along Main St, looking in the shops, eating in the restaurants while enjoying the vibe.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:51 PM

809 posts, read 998,043 times
If you're interested in a canoe outing while on your way to Cornish, Wilgus State Park (just south of Ascutney, Vermont) offers canoe rentals. The Connecticut River is basically a 300-mile-long lake, with so many dams there's not a noticeable current unless the upstream one is releasing water. In September and October, you'll find it quite enjoyable. Another canoe/kayak rental place is seven miles further north, at the Harpoon Brewery and Simon Pearce glassblowing park just above Windsor and practically across the river from the road to St. Gaudens. The outfit will take you up to Sumner's Falls (misnamed; more like Sumner's Hiccup), put you in and let you boat back down, thereafter to enjoy the brewery tour and restaurant and then catch the ever-fascinating glimpse of a glassblower doing what she/he does best!

Old 05-17-2016, 08:47 AM

13 posts, read 9,819 times
Another vote for Red's Eats on Rte 1 in Wiscassett, ME. Don't let the line scare you -- it's just that all the waiting is visible there on Rte 1 You wait in line to get to the window, where you order & you get your food shortly after you order. You could spend just as long waiting in a restaurant: wait to get seated, wait for waitress to take your order & he/she only takes drink order 1st, wait for drinks, wait to order, wait for food. All that waiting's in the line @ Red's.

How temperate is your area of Texas? You might need more than just light jackets. Weather will be New England changeable. You might get HOT during the days & want short sleeves. Or you might get chilly during the days (long sleeves, light sweater or jacket). In any case it will be getting cooler at nights -- possibly to 40s or 30s, & you might then want heavier sweater &/or heavier jacket. Bring warm hats & gloves, too. If you're planning on hiking up mountains, be prepared w/ layers, including warmer sweaters, warm hats, gloves, & windproof jackets. It will be much cooler & windier at the top (also cooling you off more). Listen to weather before you go & be prepared to change, shorten, or delay your hike if inclement weather (or weather you don't have the gear to hike in) is predicted.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:01 PM

40 posts, read 40,824 times
While in Littleton you should eat breakfast at Polly's Pancake in Sugar Hill. Also visit Sugar Hill Sampler while there. It is part museum and part country store. Bette Davis had a place in Sugar Hill and there are some nice clippings and pictures in the sampler store.

On your way to Burlington, a visit to Stowe is fantastic. Make sure you visit Von Trapp Lodge. Hike up to the little chapel and ring the bell (10 min hike). The view at the lodge is amazing. Then there's Ben and Jerry's....

Old 05-31-2016, 02:30 PM

536 posts, read 845,082 times
You have a wonderful vacation coming up!

Just a small dissent on the lobster roll at Red's in Wiscasset. To me, one gets value for money at this place, for sure, but their idea of a "lobster roll" is a huge mass of plain steamed lobsta and a plain roll. The lobster can be had either hot or cold, and mine had no dressing or seasoning on it at all. There is butter for it if you want that.

If I had lived nearby, I would have taken it back to my house and turned it into a lobster roll with some celery and a tiny bit of mayo! Toasted the bun a bit, etc. But everyone is different. My favorite Maine lobster roll is on offer at the Pemaquid Lobster Coop on Pemaquid Point -- five minutes in line and an incredible view of the water. Pemaquid is more for the crashing surf and the lobsters than the foliage, though. It's so wooded that wider prospects are only out toward the ocean, not inland so much.

Pemaquid Point is a half-hour to an hours' drive from Demarascotta (sp?), a pretty little town. There's a very photogenic lighthouse (at Pemaquid Point).

Old 06-04-2016, 05:31 PM

190 posts, read 202,306 times
I noticed that Cape Cod was not on your list, but that's ok. The north shore of Boston is wonderful, especially Salem, Gloucester and Rockport. To me, the prettiest beach in Mass and beyond is Crane's Beach in Ipswich. You can walk through the dunes for several miles and take the ocean's edge back, it is very beautiful. Vermont is a pretty state, Woodstock is picture perfect, Manchester has an excellent bookstore, the Northshire and the Connecticut river valley near WRJ is very nice. I personally like the historic Hotel Coolidge in WRJ, it may be too quirky for some but a cool place nevertheless.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riblue View Post
I noticed that Cape Cod was not on your list, but that's ok. The north shore of Boston is wonderful, especially Salem, Gloucester and Rockport. To me, the prettiest beach in Mass and beyond is Crane's Beach in Ipswich. You can walk through the dunes for several miles and take the ocean's edge back, it is very beautiful. Vermont is a pretty state, Woodstock is picture perfect, Manchester has an excellent bookstore, the Northshire and the Connecticut river valley near WRJ is very nice. I personally like the historic Hotel Coolidge in WRJ, it may be too quirky for some but a cool place nevertheless.
And if they head to Ipswich, they should check out the Clam Box.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:39 AM

10 posts, read 14,309 times
I totally agree. Shelburne Museum is a MUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Shelburne Museum (just south of Burlington) would be a spot you would love since you mentioned history & museums. You'll want to plan for a full day there.
https://shelburnemuseum.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont