Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:26 AM

130 posts, read 276,690 times

Advertisements

People LIVE here and while I know many people can't wait to get away from or back to the hell hole they escaped from for a weekend in VT, if you're blasting through the area you deserve a ticket.

If you're in VT for a relaxing vacation, relax. But don't rush to pull out in front of someone then relax and slow to 10 mph under the speed limit though. A lot of us are working here and don't really have the time to waste while you creep along looking at cows.

70 in a 50, while common from my experiences "down country", doesn't make a lot of friends around here. And Vermonters doing the same thing.....I just thank cell phones that make calling in a license number sooooo easy.

Talk about a double standard. No one wants people speeding past their home or around their children/pets. BUT, get out of you area or in another state and it's off to the races. FYI: many people revel in driving slower when someone's sitting on their bumper and not letting them pass. can you say passive aggressive?

Welcome to heaven, please don't drive like hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
A few weeks ago we were driving south through Granville Gulf on Route 100 on a Sunday afternoon and were passed by 2 out of state vehicles-we were going 50. Anyone who knows this road knows you should be going be 60+ here.
But...on the other hand, plenty of Vermonters speed as well.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:49 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
So much for those quiet country roads.

I agree with 'slow down' to everyone (even locals). I live on "Main Street" which is basically just a long, busy road. 25 mph is a joke...people do about 45...speeding up to more when they pass our house, the last one before a split in the road.

And, my driveway seems to be 'everyone's' favorite turnaround. I used to think all the signs that say 'no turning' outside houses were rude but now I understand them.

For anyone OUTSIDE the area...there are actual turnarounds all along the sides of roads--they are those hollowed out half moon areas. Use those. Yes, I know it's easier to make a left into our driveway (especially as the streets are few and far between) but it's also annoying...

Old 02-29-2008, 11:04 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Default Sounds like the drivers in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targo View Post
People LIVE here and while I know many people can't wait to get away from or back to the hell hole they escaped from for a weekend in VT, if you're blasting through the area you deserve a ticket.

If you're in VT for a relaxing vacation, relax. But don't rush to pull out in front of someone then relax and slow to 10 mph under the speed limit though. A lot of us are working here and don't really have the time to waste while you creep along looking at cows.

70 in a 50, while common from my experiences "down country", doesn't make a lot of friends around here. And Vermonters doing the same thing.....I just thank cell phones that make calling in a license number sooooo easy.

Talk about a double standard. No one wants people speeding past their home or around their children/pets. BUT, get out of you area or in another state and it's off to the races. FYI: many people revel in driving slower when someone's sitting on their bumper and not letting them pass. can you say passive aggressive?

Welcome to heaven, please don't drive like hell.
Your post sounds like the drivers in Alaska. Incredible, quess they are bad all over.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:28 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
One interesting thing is I believe it's legal in Vermont to pass on a double line.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:37 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Your post sounds like the drivers in Alaska. Incredible, quess they are bad all over.
It's not nearly as bad or as risky as in Alaska, I know as I was up there for over 21 years. We have relatively few local jerks on the roads here, the majority of the careless are the visitors. Now I am not picking on them, just stating fact. In the almost three years I have been here the few regular folks in a "rush" on my road seem to have slowed down considerably, especially when they see me coming. I guess what motivated them was the fact that when I saw someone coming at me at a faster clip than legal, safe, or pudent, I would slow down considerably and give them a very focused stare. Mind you, nothing rude or aggressive, just a stare where it was obvious that they knew someone was very much interested in who was driving. After only a few times they got the hint that their behavior probably was not appreciated and they adjusted accordingly. I also assume that the vet plate might also help as some might think I am having a "flashback'.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:40 AM

Yes, it is legal to pass on a dbl yellow in VT. Goes back to the days when there was lots of slow moving farm equipment on the roads.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:52 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Yes, it is legal to pass on a dbl yellow in VT. Goes back to the days when there was lots of slow moving farm equipment on the roads.
"Old days"? You mean like last week? I have been very grateful to be legally allowed to pass slow-moving farm equipment on a double yellow! :-)

Old 03-01-2008, 12:05 PM

LOL.
YOu don't see much farm equipment on the roads in Chittenden County nor in resort communities, but in the rest of Vermont...but it certainly was more prevelent back when there were many more farms out there.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,224,103 times
A tractor hauling a wagon loaded with bales of hay...a good old fashion VT traffic jam. I come upon them almost everytime I go to Burlington on Rte 22A. It's not safe to pass because of the hills and curvy roads. HaHa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont