Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 05:52 PM

19 posts, read 87,679 times

Advertisements

The is the first winter in a longtime that I've had a really bad flu. I usually don't get colds eventhough my whole family gets them. I usually consider myself very hardy because I grew up in the Great Lakes region where winter was cold and snowy.

But with such long winters in VT, how do people manage to keep themselves healthy.

I worry about my daugher who gets winter asthma from breathing in too much cold air. She has to go on a nebulizer as soon as she gets a cough or it turns into bronchitis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 06:00 PM

111 posts, read 485,334 times
Cold air doesn't cause colds. Overly positive ion charged indoor air is what generally causes colds, these positive ions are better balanced in the summer when the windows are open.

Get your kid a Himalayan Salt Crystal Lamp for their room, it will negative ion the air, making it much healthier and less likely to get a cold. Also take extra vitamin-D during winter months.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:25 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times
I second the Himalayan Salt Crystal lamp recommendation. The one in my husband's treatment room has noticeably improved his working space. If you're near Rutland, you can take your daughter (if she's old enough) and yourself to the Himalayan salt cave (http://www.pyramidvt.com/pyramid3_024.htm - broken link) at Pyramid Wellness.

I get sick less here than when I lived in South Florida. Despite sometimes wheezing from the cold air (I have very mild asthma and my husband's is mild-to-moderate), I tend to be healthier overall, perhaps because I am more comfortable in this climate and do a lot more outdoor activities than anywhere else I've lived.

This year was an exception. I am on day 17 of getting over the viral contagion (I guess it's a flu) that's going around. I've had neither a flu shot nor the flu in over 20 years and I've heard that this flu strikes irrespective of flu shot status. It's a doozy. Today was the first day I awakened without a pulsing/pounding headache and upset stomach. I actually felt good for the first time in over 2 weeks. But I'm still pretty weak and tired. This is probably the sickest I've been in my entire adult life. Oh well, at least I won't get this strain again!

Old 03-09-2008, 06:32 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,224,463 times
Nope...I don't get sick hardly at all. However, just this past week my ear was plugged and my throat was scratchy...not coughing, stuffy nose, or sore throat. I was asked if I would consider a flu swab and I agreed. It came back POSITIVE! I was shocked because I wasn't feeling all that bad. They put me and my family members on Tamiflu and I've quarantined myself since Wednesday. I haven't gotten any more symptoms and I plan to return to work tomorrow. At least I didn't get hammered like so many around me have. I generally run things less severe because I work around young children in preschool and early childhood settings in Rutland City and the surrounding areas. However, young kids usually have to run a variety of colds and other viruses in order to build up a stronger immune system. I've noticed this with my own kids. The older they get, the less the catch everything going around.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trombley View Post
I was asked if I would consider a flu swab and I agreed. It came back POSITIVE!
WOW! I've never been at the doctor at the right time for a flu swab. Good thing you got that!

Quote:
They put me and my family members on Tamiflu and I've quarantined myself since Wednesday.
Did the Tamiflu have any side effects that you could discern? Of course, it could be hard to tell, what with getting sick anyway.

Quote:
I haven't gotten any more symptoms and I plan to return to work tomorrow.
I am truly happy for you. This flu really, really sucked. I might even have taken Tamiflu if I'd known what I was in for and I almost never take anything. Well, a lot of aspirin, but I come from a family that gets a lot of headaches. :-)

Old 03-09-2008, 08:06 PM

[quote=Sherylcatmom;3086526]WOW! I've never been at the doctor at the right time for a flu swab. Good thing you got that!

It was very weird because I wasn't at the doctors for flu symptoms but for my ear! (which continues to bother me) I don't usually like to take medicines either, but my sons were preparing for their Odyssey of the Minds competition which was yesterday. I felt that after months and months of work, I had to try something. So far nobody in my household has come down with it, and I must have run it very mildly. Wait....my husband had the chest congestion, coughing and body aches...so i guess he was the main victim. I had everyone take the Tamiflu on a full stomach as I had been forewarned that it causes nausea. They're all hanging in there, but still need to stay on the medication for five more days. Glad you are on the mend! Yes..you will never catch that particular nasty strain again! Oh No!!!!!What if I didn't have the same strain??? LOL

Old 03-09-2008, 08:49 PM

[quote=Trombley;3087432]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
It was very weird because I wasn't at the doctors for flu symptoms but for my ear! (which continues to bother me)
Did you ever figure out what's up with your ear?

Quote:
I don't usually like to take medicines either, but my sons were preparing for their Odyssey of the Minds competition which was yesterday.
And you didn't tell us how it went?! So how did it go?!?! My husband and I just watched the movie "Spellbound" -- was it as nerve-wracking a competition as that?

Quote:
Oh No!!!!!What if I didn't have the same strain??? LOL
Don't even go there.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:25 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I've had bouts of feeling 'bleh' and one or two days of a runny nose but knock on wood, no colds, no flu (though my husband has an ear thing right now...flu?).
We hardly see anyone so maybe that is why we have less germs...no social life to speak of, unless you call going to the supermarket or walking around the icy park 'social.'

My husband works at a hospital so he would be bringing home germs...but we all seem okay. My son usually gets this vomiting thing (virus) in October. Every year like clockwork...but not last year.

Kids go out in the cold and snow here at school and it's great...much healthier in my opinion than locking them in a hot cafeteria or library for 5 months of lunchtimes.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:39 PM

I returned to work today and feel fine. My ear still has fluid in it. I called the doctors again on Saturday stating that I need help for what I originally went to them for. They told me to take sudafed, and I've taken it since yesterday. No changes so far. If the fluid does not go away I will be back in there for some suggestions. (maybe I have an ear flu) LOL

My boys came in first place in their Odyssey of the Minds division on Saturday....Hooray! They will be going to World at the end of May. It is taking place in Maryland this year.

Thanks for asking. The weather is cold but beautiful today!

Old 03-10-2008, 01:52 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I've had bouts of feeling 'bleh' and one or two days of a runny nose but knock on wood, no colds, no flu (though my husband has an ear thing right now...flu?).
We hardly see anyone so maybe that is why we have less germs...no social life to speak of, unless you call going to the supermarket or walking around the icy park 'social.'

My husband works at a hospital so he would be bringing home germs...but we all seem okay. My son usually gets this vomiting thing (virus) in October. Every year like clockwork...but not last year.

Kids go out in the cold and snow here at school and it's great...much healthier in my opinion than locking them in a hot cafeteria or library for 5 months of lunchtimes.
Editing...guess who came home today feeling sick?? Poor kid..there's a virus going around..it ALWAYS happens when the weather changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: