Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 03:46 PM

16 posts, read 20,691 times

Advertisements

Tell me about your gardens and landscaping. What are your favored hedges, bushes, vines, flowering perennials, seasonal color?

We will have to say goodbye to our colorful, tropical plants if/when we move north. I'm hoping I can at least still have a variety of colors from which to adorn our new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 11:29 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,576 times
You can't beat lilac season, in terms of the sheer volume of lilacs up here and how good they smell. It only lasts a few weeks but so worth it.

Some of my favorites:
lupines everywhere...even on the road
my flowering thyme which is all over our patio and the bees love it
Peonies...
all kinds of daylilies, regular lilies, tall phlox, black eyed susans....
SUNFLOWERS!

And of course, for the best variety of colors....foliage season.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:45 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Apple tree blossoms have few rivals. Cherries may come close (I have those as well as plums, pears, and serviceberry trees). I have a lot of wild plants around my place being that it's in the woods. Some of my favorites are the trilliums, lady slippers, and fireweed. Roses, tulips, lilacs, daisies, asters and many more flowers will grow here. You might be surprised but the cucumber magnolia will grow in parts of Vermont with a good site, as will a couple varieties of peach. I've got grape vines at my place (wild and domesticated varieties). Maples, sumac, and some others will have some great fall foliage colors. Then there's evergreens for winter like cedar, spruce, fir, hemlock, pines, etc.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:56 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,576 times
Yes, believe it or not, we have a giant magnolia at our house that the previous owners planted. Not sure what species, reminds me of the ones that were everywhere in NYC. We also have a Japanese maple. Definitely not the norm, from what I know anyway lol.

The real wildflowers as arctichomesteader mentions are indeed amazing - going on a hike and spotting them is a real treat.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:05 AM

16 posts, read 20,691 times
Thanks for these. I'll start researching.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:47 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
When you go to a garden center up here, look for perennial plants and shrubs that have been grown by New England or Canadian growers. Be careful to read labels because you will often see "perennials" for zone 5 or further south, which will not last the winter here.

Something you might not be used to is most of the flowering plants disappear for the winter -- the leaves go brown and you have to cut them down in the fall. But they grow again in the spring. Deciduous trees and bushes lose their leaves in fall (then it is stick season until they start up again in the spring). I like having some fir and pine trees and bushes so I can see some green in the winter.

There are plenty of beautiful flowers up here. I have a trumpet vine in my front courtyard that attracts hummingbirds. Until I moved here, I had no idea hummingbirds came this far north.

I also have a lot of indoor plants. What you get will depend on the amount of sunlight in your house. You might look at some of your southern outdoor plants with an eye towards growing them inside in pots. Bring some with you when you move up here.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:13 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
There us a fair amount of zone 5 here but it's highly variable. Don't go by the USDA zone map alone. It can show zone 5 on a mountain that is really a 4 or even a 3. It shows my place as a 4 in the northeast kingdom but it's not so simple. It's close to a zone 3 but I have some micro-climate effects that keep a small portion warmer than the surrounding area. I have a reliance peach tree that survived 30 below up there. My guess is 1,000 feet down the hill or up the hill and it would have been dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont