Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 06:01 AM

9,440 posts, read 5,204,944 times

Advertisements

I tend to disagree that town meeting offers the opportunity to 'discuss' issues. As I mentioned, you can't discuss pressing concerns in a 5 hour meeting that combines both the town and school budget and other matters, especially when there is always someone who moves to 'cease debate.' And it's not really a debate, it's someone voicing their opinion. My perception now is that if a person really wanted to be fully informed on all issues in town, they would need to attend select board AND school board meetings regularly (since we are not well informed by either body). And since you only get 100+ people showing up for the meeting (in a town of 1000 voters) you are not hearing everyone's concerns. (That said, there are many in town who 'trust' that other voters who share their views will vote 'for them.')
We've tried reaching out to see if switching the date or time would be acceptable, but that has been resisted thus far. People work, have kids with activities, etc, and no one appears interested in giving up their Saturday to participate in democracy
Town meeting is a quaint anachronism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 06:58 AM

809 posts, read 997,621 times
As you've pointed out, democracy is actually a lot of work, pamjedlicka. We generally are not educated to participate in it.

Old 03-30-2018, 07:15 AM

12,387 posts, read 9,493,040 times
I visited the Research Triangle area about 15 years ago. The people in the company I visited were fine - but those were PhDs, from around the world, working in a multinational corporation with a big site there, so, well-educated, open-minded people who were doing well in their careers. On the other hand, I had lunch in a small town cafe' and I was really surprised and taken aback by the hostility from the true locals down there, when they heard my northern speech - it felt a little like I had been dropped into a bad movie to me.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:26 AM

To understand them, read Joe Pageant's Deer Hunting with Jesus. He points out how unconscious they, the people he grew up with, are totally screwed by their own culture.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:14 PM

24 posts, read 45,095 times
Moved from Brattleboro, VT to Asheville, NC.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:12 PM

496 posts, read 466,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantastiquet View Post
Moved from Brattleboro, VT to Asheville, NC.
How do you like it down there? How differe t is the lifestyle?

Old 04-01-2018, 04:35 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I visited the Research Triangle area about 15 years ago. The people in the company I visited were fine - but those were PhDs, from around the world, working in a multinational corporation with a big site there, so, well-educated, open-minded people who were doing well in their careers. On the other hand, I had lunch in a small town cafe' and I was really surprised and taken aback by the hostility from the true locals down there, when they heard my northern speech - it felt a little like I had been dropped into a bad movie to me.
There was a forum member on here several years ago who is no longer active who commented that she felt her Long Island accent caused some rift with some of the natives and possibly limited her job prospects. I believe she lived over near St. Johnsbury but I'm not sure.

I also had a friend who from southwestern PA to Bridgeport, CT for a job back in the 1980's and he felt like people treated him differently because of this accent, which reportedly sounded southern to them.

My cousin moved down to the Triangle in 1998 from Pittsburgh and had no problems. She has since married then and they frequently vacation in the western NC mountains and found the people decent overall. Are there idiots out there who hate anything different? For sure, but they are certainly not confined to one area.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:41 AM

24 posts, read 30,154 times
I grew up in the Charlotte area of North Carolina, went to grad school in Chapel Hill, and lived in Asheville for seven years prior to moving to Vermont in 2014. Happy to answer any specific questions.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:12 PM

36 posts, read 41,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLISSLIGHTJOY View Post
I grew up in the Charlotte area of North Carolina, went to grad school in Chapel Hill, and lived in Asheville for seven years prior to moving to Vermont in 2014. Happy to answer any specific questions.
Hi BLISSLIGHTJOY. My family is thinking of moving to a mountain area. We're trying to decide between northern or southern mountains right now. It would be great to hear your thoughts on how WNC compares to Vermont as far as community feel (I've heard people describe Asheville as "transient." We're looking for a place we can really get involved in the community, put down roots, etc.), friendliness of people, natural beauty, ability to be outdoors all year round (and how much people actually ARE outdoors all year round), hiking opportunities and anything else you care to include (general opinion on which area you like better and why would be great, too). You can PM me if you feel more comfortable. Thank you for the help.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:20 PM

I have relatives living about 40 miles outside Asheville. First rule: Live above 3,500 feetnto avoid the Southern humidity. Second: check to see what percentage of your targeted town are from elsewhere. A lot of "Floridiots" (as my relatives called themselves when they moved) are changing the local spirit (much of it for the better in their town, in my opinion; the good old boy network is starting to crumble). Third rule: sell your skis and snowshoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont