Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:23 PM

312 posts, read 354,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
When I hear about people going camping around here, I wonder why. Just about anywhere you go in VT, you pretty much just have to walk out the door to be amongst the trees. As I said in the "In your face" thread, nature is pretty much in your face all over VT.
Okay, this is what I needed to know. Part of the problem is that I'm really kind of on my own in this. When we lived in Albany, my husband didn't really like it and wanted to move. He keeps saying he could probably "stand" living there again for a year or two, but that would be about it. He wants to move, and he wants to be closer to family, but, in his mind, Albany and the entire state of VT are pretty much interchangeable (bad weather). He's a nature guy, and I keep trying to explain to him that VT isn't like Albany and would have other qualities he might actually like, but he's not quite buying it. He's only been there once (and that was just in and out to visit the Bennington Monument). He liked it, but it was June, and he remains unconvinced that VT is the type of state I keep telling him it is. I needed to make sure I wasn't off the mark.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Around where we are, there are designated areas that are conserved and not open to hunting, but most areas are open. You can go out wearing blaze orange, but it's just good practice and common courtesy to stay out of the woods for the few weeks of the year they are hunting. It's generally most of November (though there are other seasons, November is the big one). Rest of the year you're generally okay, though trapping is another story altogether.
Okay, so hunting season isn't the entire fall and winter? You guys should feel free to treat me like the fool I am because, honestly, I know NOTHING. I guess the heart of my question is: Are there things to do outside in VT in the winter short of downhill skiing (which I hate the same way I hate roller coasters: absolutely), and do people actually do them? Because my husband says they don't, and that the entire VT "myth" I'm weaving before him is just a way for me to get him back up to the northeast. Which it's not.

Right?

Old 11-16-2017, 02:21 PM

371 posts, read 537,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella Tiger Moth View Post
Okay, so hunting season isn't the entire fall and winter? You guys should feel free to treat me like the fool I am because, honestly, I know NOTHING. I guess the heart of my question is: Are there things to do outside in VT in the winter short of downhill skiing (which I hate the same way I hate roller coasters: absolutely), and do people actually do them? Because my husband says they don't, and that the entire VT "myth" I'm weaving before him is just a way for me to get him back up to the northeast. Which it's not.

Right?
Well, people hike, cross-country ski, ice skate, ice fish and whatever else you are able to enjoy outside when it's cold and snow is on the ground. But these opportunities also exist in the Albany area as well and I am sure people enjoy these same activities in winter. It sounds like your husband is not wanting to return to the long, cold winters of the northeast. What do you both do for a living?

Old 11-16-2017, 02:54 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,576 times
I don't ski.

I snowshoe, hike, run, fat bike all winter long. I'm outside all the time. And yes, there are other people besides myself who don't ski in Vermont lol. And they all do tons of outdoor stuff.

(I have tried cross country skiing, and if I had more patience to learn it, I would, as I think it would be an absolutely fantastic winter activity to add to my list!)

Old 11-16-2017, 05:03 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella Tiger Moth View Post

Right?
So there are various small game seasons open in early fall and in winter, turkey season is open in May too. But realistically, the fall firearms deer seasons (16 days in November, 9 in December) are when you'll see the most hunters out. Spring turkey season is popular too but legal shooting hours for May turkey hunting are only until noon each day You'll come across hunters for rabbit in winter, grouse in the fall, bowhunters for deer in October, an occasional bear hunter in the fall, etc., but not in big numbers and the weapons used are not of the same range and such as deer season (except with bear hunters of course). I wouldn't be afraid at all to hike in the fall and winter but orange isn't a bad idea, sticking to established hiking trails is good instead of bushwhacking, and if you know there's a bunch of hunters in a place it is respectful to leave them alone. I've had people walk right up to me while hunting public lands and try to tell me I shouldn't be there, which is crazy and rude. Just after daylight and just before dark are when deer are most active and hunters most want it quiet. Just remember on unposted private land if you're hiking and see hunters, you never know if they may be the landowner or their friends or relatives.

People sure do get outside in winter. I snowshoe, hike, hunt, snowmobile and have sporadically ice fished over the years (the ice is less and less reliably safe with warmer winters, I've been shying away from it lately). Don't hesitate to at least try new things like snowmobiling or even dog sledding, there's places you could try it for a day if you wanted.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:16 PM

130 posts, read 140,585 times
I currently split my time between nj and vt, will be in vt full time once nj home sells. I've lived in the NW corner of Nj for last 35 years. It's farms, forests and lakes up here. Of course being in this small state, I can be in NYC in just over an hour, or at local big box stores in 10 minutes. But from every window of my 5 acre home, no neighbors in sight. My neighbor to the north is a 100 acre horse farm. I can sit in my yard with a beer and happily watch the horses run around, or go offer some grass to my regulars at the fence.
My back pasture is home, every spring, to deer birthing their young in the untended Russian Olive thickets.I invariably have at least one snapping turtle meander up from the river and lay her eggs in my mulch pile. I have not been thru summer, without sighting, and oftentimes, walking unknowingly close to a mama bear and some cubs. We have a red tailed hawk nest down the road, eagles breeding in the two state parks nearby. This year, I was overrun with bunnies! This is the first year in 7 my perennial gardens were patchy from those hungry babies. We regularly, in our fields, see: snakes, rabbits, woodchucks, skunks,fox, deer, and coyote on the farm. As I am an avid gardener and birder, I have nests and bird homes full every spring with babies and all sorts of lovely birds all year long, along with bees and butterflies. All here in this lovely, non turnpiked area of Nj.
In Vermont, we have 30 acres. We have no visible neighbors, we are surrounded by woods, with lovely old stone wall paths and roads thru the property. So far one dog was porcupined! Ouch. But the deer are not so close, yet. No bear sightings, but scat in the woods of both. The frogs and orange salamanders are everywhere. I'm going to start working on the birds, getting more to hang around. So while nature's animals are all around us in Vt, so far they have not been in our face as they are in nj. Just reasoning they have much more leg room in vt to keep outta sight.

I think u can find nature, right out your back door, no matter where you go. You just need to steer clear of the big urban areas.
That being said, as much as I love my little secluded spot in nj, there it is nothing on the same grand scale as the vast mountains, the large frothy rivers running along the roadsides, the Crystal clear sky at night in Vermont. It is different in Vermont. It is not Albany or Nj.

As for the cold and snow, I don't ski, but am game for sledding with my dawgs and enjoying the post growing season quiet of a warm fire and book.

Good luck in your ventures.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:42 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
In our "neighborhood" (I use the term lightly because we all have 5+acres lots so it doesn't feel like a traditional neighborhood), we have a trail network, so yes, I can leave my door and take a walk in the woods, snowshoe, xcountry ski etc. There are some towns where you can live right in the village centers and walk to public hiking trails - Woodstock, Stowe, Hinesburg and Bristol come to mind. I'm sure there are many more.
I do downhill ski but I also like to snowshoe. I have friends who are avid cross country skiers and some other friends who love to ice fish. Yes..people get out in the winter here.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:08 AM

Thank you all so much!! These were the answers I needed. I'm going to pass along your responses to my husband. Now he'll have to believe me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont