Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:07 PM

542 posts, read 702,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
1) Somewhere woodsy, secluded, and relatively isolated from "civilization", yet commutable to a relatively robust town center, such as Burlington.
Well as others have said Burlington really is it if you want to be in a place "such as Burlington" the second largest town is rutland, rather a dumpy place, next is Brattleboro at about 13k pop. it does not compare to Burlington in terms of size. So Burlington it is. Woodsy and secluded is the whole state. Just drive 15-20 minutes out of the Metro area in any direction. Your choice.
Quote:
2) Factors such as school quality and crime are not of interest to me, as I don't have kids and can take care of myself. That said, I'd rather not live in an economically depressed area, if I can help it.
You want to live in the country right? It will not be depressed in the way you are thinking. You may have some less well off neighbors but it isn't going to be a ghetto

Quote:
3) If it matters, my salary is around 120k, and I will be working remotely. There may be some rare occasions where I need to commute into NYC.
You will be rich in this state
Quote:
My first impression was that Winooski was a good bet, as it has modern apartment developments with a river setting and is a few skips to Burlington proper. However, I'm not sure it would really provide the sense of solitude I'm after, as it is a rather densely populated town by Vermont standards. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I am puzzled by your statement. "modern apartment developments" these are not connected to woodsy secluded isolation. I often feel city people have no idea what actually living in the country is about. Having been raised just outside NYC I remember vividly how when city friends came to my isolated cabin they were often very afraid of the woods. There were bears and unknown animals in it. They might get lost or eaten. Also they were very afraid that being so isolated they were vulnerable to all kinds of crazy murders and criminals that lived out in places like this. Obviously they learned this from watching endless movies like texas chainsaw massacre and such. Truth is bears don't bother you other then get in your trash and I haven't locked my home in 30 years. You are alone, isolated there is simply no one around to murder you even if they wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 11:46 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
I stopped at that "modern apartment development" line also. If you want rural, woodsey, look into renting a small house. You can live rural and still be very close (mile-wise) to populated areas for grocery stores and other necessities.

Since you are bringing your job with you and working from home, why not rent a house up here for a month or two. That would give you time to drive around and explore the area to find your spot. Then decide if you really want to be so rural. There is a BIG difference between the congestion of NYC and the country side of VT.

Be prepared to buy snow tires, good winter coat, a hat, base layer undergarments, boots, show shovel, roof rake, etc. All that can get expensive your first winter here. If you live rural, pay attention to what kind of driveway you have and the condition of local roads you need to travel to get to the main roads.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:41 PM

107 posts, read 113,133 times
Areas of Rutland County, Castleton/Bomoseen..Small town, people are friendly but will leave you alone, small main street, college town, quite a few lakes nearby. Rutland is the "town center" you seek, going through revitalization. Hubbardton, just north of Castleton is woodsy and isolated, no main street, Castleton is the closest "town". Subject to a lot of snow. Addison county is a lot wealthier comparatively, but still rural enough that you'll be left alone. Your salary will still go far. Middlebury is the town center and has some things to do. Still not as pretentious as Burlington

If you want to be in NY, right across the Rutland County border is Washington County. Lots of nothing out that way, and your 120K salary would go FAR.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:54 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
Truth is bears don't bother you other then get in your trash and I haven't locked my home in 30 years.
I used to say that but in recent years the bear population has become very high and they increasingly associate people with food. I dug out a picture of where a bear clawed at my cabin wall 2 years ago just after I primed the siding. Further up the wall it ripped small pieces of the siding right off trying to find its way in. I've got heavy shutters on the cabin on the windows for security and some of them have bear claw marks on the outside where they tried to get in when I wasn't around. I don't leave food or trash around, they simply associate houses with food now. And the same year I took that picture, presumably the same bear (very large) approached me in my woodlot there and wasn't remotely afraid of me. It kept coming closer slowly. I fired a couple shotgun rounds into the ground to make some noise to scare it off but it didn't even flinch at the noise of a gunshot. Eventually it just wandered off slowly towards a brook but it was never afraid of me and got rather close for comfort. I do think we're in for a bear attack making the news in the next few years. They're not as timid as they used to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Areas of Vermont for a single male who wants to be alone?-img_0835.jpg  

Old 01-21-2019, 09:04 PM

Bears can be aggressive in looking for food. Your right they are not really afraid of people. So yes some caution needs to be taken. I still don't think they actually have any interest in attacking you. Just don't get them in a corner or get between mom and a cub. This summer I would periodically take a bag of trash out of the kitchen and put it on the front porch. Usually I was making dinner. the actual garbage cans were in a shed about 200ft away, so I figured i would take it over later. By the time I remembered to do that it was always gone. I just assumed the wife was taking it over if I didn't get to it. Fast forward to late summer when I am out in the woodlot. Oh my god! 12 bags of trash out there strewn all over the place. I ask the wife and she says no she has never taken garbage to the shed....

Old 01-24-2019, 06:24 AM

252 posts, read 139,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
"modern apartment developments" these are not connected to woodsy secluded isolation. I often feel city people have no idea what actually living in the country is about. Having been raised just outside NYC I remember vividly how when city friends came to my isolated cabin they were often very afraid of the woods. There were bears and unknown animals in it. They might get lost or eaten. Also they were very afraid that being so isolated they were vulnerable to all kinds of crazy murders and criminals that lived out in places like this. Obviously they learned this from watching endless movies like texas chainsaw massacre and such. Truth is bears don't bother you other then get in your trash and I haven't locked my home in 30 years. You are alone, isolated there is simply no one around to murder you even if they wanted to.
Haha, you are right, that was a ridiculous statement. I think the idea I had was maybe to start out with an apartment to get my bearings before going all in on a mortgage in an area I really want to be.

Believe me, my ultimate aim is to be in real country, but even an apartment in Winooski with a river view is a far cry from living in Manhattan.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:58 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okbymeman View Post
Haha, you are right, that was a ridiculous statement. I think the idea I had was maybe to start out with an apartment to get my bearings before going all in on a mortgage in an area I really want to be.

That's smart. Definitely rent around Burlington and then explore the area for a year or two before making the plunge. Winooski is a nice place, and some cool spots there for music/beer/dining too.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:59 AM

64 posts, read 101,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okbymeman View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm a tech professional, mid-30s, who has lately given some serious thought to moving to Vermont from NYC. What gave me the idea was Vermont's recent remote worker program that I'm sure you've heard of, and what inspired my desire to relocate to Vermont is a desire to live in relative isolation and seclusion, as well as to be surrounded by the New England countryside that I find comforting.

I'm sure that many Vermonters sneer at the idea of a New Yorker imposing upon their paradise, but I can assure you that I have no intentions of bringing NYC sensibilities to the state. I only want to get away from the city and keep to myself for the most part. Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist, but that's why I came here to ask:

1) Somewhere woodsy, secluded, and relatively isolated from "civilization", yet commutable to a relatively robust town center, such as Burlington.

2) Factors such as school quality and crime are not of interest to me, as I don't have kids and can take care of myself. That said, I'd rather not live in an economically depressed area, if I can help it.

3) If it matters, my salary is around 120k, and I will be working remotely. There may be some rare occasions where I need to commute into NYC.

My first impression was that Winooski was a good bet, as it has modern apartment developments with a river setting and is a few skips to Burlington proper. However, I'm not sure it would really provide the sense of solitude I'm after, as it is a rather densely populated town by Vermont standards. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
HALIFAX. anything within 2 hours of burlington is not going to be 'remote' ...you want to be alone? Halifax or West Halifax Vermont. period.

the windmills are dropping the bear populations like crazy, drive around the windmills you'll see the study area signs from VT F&W, black bears are just big raccoons, ignore them. there is nothing in vermont that can hurt you besides the few rattlers you may run into along champlain....rats in manhattan are a bigger danger than anything in vt....come up and try Halifax...you'll love it!

Last edited by northernborn; 02-02-2019 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: added

Old 02-02-2019, 07:41 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernborn View Post
HALIFAX. anything within 2 hours of burlington is not going to be 'remote' ...you want to be alone? Halifax or West Halifax Vermont. period.

the windmills are dropping the bear populations like crazy, drive around the windmills you'll see the study area signs from VT F&W, black bears are just big raccoons, ignore them. there is nothing in vermont that can hurt you besides the few rattlers you may run into along champlain....rats in manhattan are a bigger danger than anything in vt....come up and try Halifax...you'll love it!
Drive 10 minutes outside of Burlington and it will be REMOTE, especially for someone from NYC!

What was that about windmills/wind turbines dropping the bear populations? Are they climbing the poles ? LOL Anyway, the last I heard, the bear population has been increasing in recent years.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:14 PM

Halifax is nice and remote. Been there. Lot of places like that in VT, if you want to really get away. Personally I do not feel it necessary to get that far gone, to feel your living the country life. I think bears are doing fine in VT, despite those dreaded windmills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont