Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 01:38 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times

Advertisements

The average person doesn't inhabit an over-the-top politically charged atmosphere the way so much media would suggest. Most people, Vermont or anywhere, goes on about their daily lives minding their own business. The average American just shrugs at the stupidity or somehow tunes it out. I think that "progressive" people and progressive communities are more likely to make a lifestyle and personal identity out of politics, and that is annoying to more moderate and conservative people (yard signs, constant protests, etc.). Even so, I try to focus more on my own home and household than crazy neighbors.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:28 AM

9,454 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
As well as can be expected, Riley. Same back at ya.

Back when Peter owned WCAX and they first had a web page, they posted the teleprompter scripts online. It was a fantastic fast way of keeping up with local things in Vermont. The website now is designed for phones and a step backward for folks like me. I do see on it that the new owner of the bookstore in Waterbury has developed a contest on Waterbury history. That $500 prize might almost pay for a couple night's lodging and a tank of gas for a visit. (I'd either ace the test or make corrections to it. )

Be careful on that drive in Alabama. If you hit the northeast part of the state, Desoto Canyon and park, the waterfalls, the lakes, and the Huntsville area, you might never want to leave.
I will keep this in mind when I get down that way! You know, the south has a bad reputation up here....but I discount that because in the few states I've been too down there....NC, SC, TN.......people were friendly, polite, and a few even gently reminded me (because I had VT plates on the car) that they run a little conservative in certain necks of the woods. LOL. Good people, I found....I just never found the super quiet rural areas or landscape that I do love about VT. But I didn't really spend enough time there.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:24 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
I notice that things have gotten fairly nasty on this thread, and needlessly so.

Getting back to the original question, I suspect that after yesterday, with 80% of the eligible population vaccinated and all the state COVID restrictions lifted, there are probably many more people, both Republicans and Democrats, who are happy with our Republican governor than you might suspect.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I notice that things have gotten fairly nasty on this thread, and needlessly so.

Getting back to the original question, I suspect that after yesterday, with 80% of the eligible population vaccinated and all the state COVID restrictions lifted, there are probably many more people, both Republicans and Democrats, who are happy with our Republican governor than you might suspect.
What got nasty? Those of us who know what it's actually like to be a republican (I prefer conservative) in VT were trying to answer the question.
It's not pretty. And anyone considering moving here who IS conservative should at least know what they are getting into.
When I came here years ago, I was (naively) under the impression that this was a very accepting and inclusive state, and frankly, it isn't. Not for conservatives, and I'm talking moderate, on the down low conservatives.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:15 PM

53 posts, read 123,821 times
Wow, a lot of great responses! I thought I was going to be notified when someone responded. I definitely don't think anything has gotten nasty here. I was actually pleasantly surprised that it hadn't. Just a lot of great opinions.......which is what this thread is all about. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond here!..........keep 'em coming!

Old 06-17-2021, 04:34 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
What got nasty? Those of us who know what it's actually like to be a republican (I prefer conservative) in VT were trying to answer the question.
It's not pretty. And anyone considering moving here who IS conservative should at least know what they are getting into.
When I came here years ago, I was (naively) under the impression that this was a very accepting and inclusive state, and frankly, it isn't. Not for conservatives, and I'm talking moderate, on the down low conservatives.
Are you in Burlington or a college town?

Old 06-17-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Are you in Burlington or a college town?
No. I live 25 mi north of Burlington. This is a pretty middle of the road, blue collar area up here. And it's really a very nice community.....you just can't really talk politics. You need to know your audience.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:53 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
No. I live 25 mi north of Burlington. This is a pretty middle of the road, blue collar area up here. And it's really a very nice community.....you just can't really talk politics. You need to know your audience.
“You just can’t talk politics” is universally true anywhere in the country. Hardly unique to Vermont.

I’m a typical Northeastern old school Rockefeller Republican. Fiscal conservative. I want value for my tax dollars. Socially very liberal on issues like women’s rights. In today’s national politics, I’m somehow a “liburul”. I don’t identify Republican at all these days and I disagree with a lot of the Democrat policy.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:16 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPlate View Post
Title says it all. Just looking for Republican residents' opinions on life in Vermont. I'm specifically interested in the Manchester area, but any general impressions/opinions would be very much appreciated.

If you are conservative at all, or a Republican of any sort, it seems to me that New Hampshire is physically a lot like Vermont, but has a more conservative population, less "progressive" taxation, etc. Or, as others have suggested, parts of Maine. These might be a better fit for you politically. Apparently New Hampshire has no significant taxes on residents, not on income, but they do have a rather heavy property tax. If you can be satisfied with a more modest house in a less trendy area, your tax burden in NH *should* be less than in VT.

Just my impression from spending a few weeks in both states, several year ago.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:27 PM

3,461 posts, read 2,783,899 times
Vermont was once a bastion of liberal Yankee Republicanism. Jim Jeffords was a Republican Senator from there who became an independent. Bernie Sanders replaced him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont