Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:41 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldine View Post
Is there anything that would encourage me toward/discourage me from this area?

What kind of life do you enjoy? What kinds of activities? That could help us better answer your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldine View Post
Also, generally speaking, how easy would it be in this area to secure a job before moving? Are there temp agencies within a reasonable distance(about an hour, give or take)?
I googled "Vermont temporary agencies" and got a bunch of hits. If you called a few of them they could probably tell you who to call closer to Newport.

Unless you have one of those rare in-demand specialties, securing a job before moving could be very difficult. Finding a decent job here was challenging before the economy tanked. Now it's noticeably worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 06:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,593 times
My husband and I wintered in Florida and thought employment would be easy there, since we lived in Newport, VT. It was extremely difficult to find employment in FL. Even though Newport is small and depressed, we've decided employers are much more professional in Newport, VT than we found in FL. There is a correctional facility in Newport, which employs a great deal of people in the area. There are other companies in the area hiring, depending on the type of position your husband will be seeking.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:15 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Heh, growing up, most of the highest paying jobs were at the nearest correctional center. Pretty sad in a way...

Old 10-23-2011, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,208 times
We welcome any gainfully employed newcomers who respect others property and other rights, pay their taxes, work hard, keep their places up and contribute. What we don't need is more of the welfare/hand out sorts who seem to have flocked here with the prison. Also, why would any poor person in his right mind even WANT to live where it is so brutally cold for so much of the year? Its a very expensive place to live because of heating bills, and its landlocked nature. Groceries, gas, milk, you name it, you will pay much more here than you would in a warmer and more easily accessed place. Good luck.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:23 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,898 times
I've been here for 7 years.I told my wife when we moved here to look around because in 5 years things will look different.Main Street,the commercial shopping area is dead but slowly,slowly coming back to life.Thai Restaurant,bookstore,nature food store and cafe.Little niche stores that are slightly overpriced but then again they have no real competition.They have built a large Price Chopper Supermarket with several other adjacent stores (Pizza Hut,Chinese Buffet) There are supposed to be some jobs coming from a new biotech firm that is supposed to be moving in soon.Prison is always hiring and pays pretty good if you can do that type of work.The hospital and various local health care providers have been sketchy at best but I can see some improvement in that area.They are doing more complex procedures at North Country Hospital now as opposed to sending you to New Hampshire or Burlington for anything more complex than a broken arm.As far as the prison families and new parolees,sure they are out there,but my guess is they want to stay out.No one has ever asked me for a cigarette or change or tried to beg off of me in anyway. The area definitely needs a Walmart or Target as the closest one is in Littleton NH which is roughly an hour each way. I have never seen prejudice of any kind against any of the quite small group of hispanic or black residents,but don't let that make you think it is a liberal haven.It's very conservative but more like live and let live.Several very open homosexuals are some of the friendliest people I have encountered in local businesses here. The Walmart thing is a real hot button issue but once the old boy network dies off or is voted out we'll have one.Maybe not a Super Walmart but a Walmart just the same.Regardless of your feelings on Chinese made junk,they do provide jobs and the merchandise is affordable,something that is not the case here now especially when buying clothing. Gas seems about 10 cents a gallon higher than the rest of the state. And people will stop to help you if you've snowskidded into a ditch or have a flat or run out of gas,and if have never had an offer of 5-10 bucks for the help accepted.I am happy I moved here,I think it is up and coming.And as long as you have your passport and want some real city life Downtown Montreal is less than 2 hours away. Cold and snowy goes without saying although today is Dec 18th and it's about the coldest it has been so far and it has not been below 0 on my thermometers (yet) they know how to handle snow so that is really not going to be a problem but you will save yourself alot of headache if you spend the money for winter tires,definitely a must have.
Also be careful when discussing Wal-Mart with anyone whose feelings are not already known to you,those few against it ,who are now unfortunately in local government seem like they would go to war over this matter. Hope this helps in some small way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont