Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:18 PM

229 posts, read 206,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desol11 View Post
This game is generating so much hate around the web. I saw CNN and Forbes talking about this games ending. Wonder what Bioware's next move will be.
Looks like they are waiting it out and hope the storm dies down soon. Hope Im wrong and they provide some closure with a DLC. Even if its just some text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 01:01 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Mass Effect 3's (current) endings are only second to Star Ocean: TTEOT's ending and plot twist in regards to being the worst cop outs I've seen in video games.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:22 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Bioware's games seem to have a history of having bad endings... They're like Stephen King novels... Build you up with an EXCELLENT story and then trash it all with a horrendous ending...

Seem to recall Neverwinter Nights had similar controversy with a shoddy ending...

Old 03-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
I actually enjoyed the ending I got, with 50% galaxy readiness level and all but 1 or 2 sidequests left, I chose to destroy the reapers. Now I'm in the middle of a 2nd playthrough, I'm planning to play enough multi to get the galaxy readiness to 100%, I'll be able to tell more after this playthrough.
Generally the ending was .. epic. And depressing. And amazing. Sure I'd love to see what happened to all the characters, how the story continued, but what I got .. I really liked. It reminded me of classic sf books, not the space opera types but real sf that asked difficult questions and often provided no clear answers.
I don't want to post any spoilers, thus the rather vague post.
Yac.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:29 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I'm a pre-order kid on these kinds of things.
I never pre-order games, I wait and see how other players like the game before buying. They always make the game look like it's a must have game in the commercials. Personally I don't want to shell out 60 bucks for something that might suck.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:40 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
It's amazing that people have already finished Skyrim and ME 3. I'm only 7 hrs into Skyrim and ME2 each. I don't have too much time to play every day even though I'm unemployed.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:43 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Bioware's games seem to have a history of having bad endings... They're like Stephen King novels... Build you up with an EXCELLENT story and then trash it all with a horrendous ending...

Seem to recall Neverwinter Nights had similar controversy with a shoddy ending...
I don't think so... Both Dragon Age games had great endings. Jade Empire's ending left me dumbstruck, it was so awesome. KOTOR's ending was better than any Star Wars movie. Baldur's Gate and BG2 were the games that sucked me into gaming in the first place and although Neverwinter Nights had a lackluster ending, it wasn't nearly as entirely out of sync and disappointing as ME3. (truth be told, I thought the Neverwinter games sucked in general, especially after playing Baldur's Gate)

Anyway Bioware really blew it.

Still I think I'd rather Bioware not try to patch in a new ending after the fact. Now that the first playthrough is done, it just wouldn't matter. The damage is already done.

Somehow I'll find a way to go on living... and Bioware should learn something from the experience but leave ME behind and move on to something new.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times
Bioware to change

Old 03-26-2012, 01:34 PM

168 posts, read 142,931 times
Well, I got it, and I loved the game, and I thought that people were building up the ending to be bad because it wasn't what they were expecting. No, it was bad.

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler
The Sequence leading up to it with TIM was great, and props to his voice actor. Anderson's goodbye was amazing, and sad. But the catalyst was stupid, and with the rumour going around that the ending was written by Casey Hudson and the Project lead only, I can see why he keeps defending it.

I'll list my complaints with the ending first and the game latter.

Spoiler

Aside from the fact that my Shepard would have chosen none of these, we're rolling with the fact that you had to choose.

1. Why did the relays have to blow up in the first place? I don't get it. And to say that the Relays caused no damage to the system you were in runs against what you did in Arrival, which is why you're on Earth in the first place.

2. That Shepard would accept the circular logic of the Catalyst really ticked me off. He just accepted whatever the Catalyst told him, without asserting that he had made peace with the Quarians and Geth, which was a key point against the Catalyst saying that Synthetics would always destroy life. The Geth weren't even the aggressive ones to begin with, it was the Quarians, and they only wanted to destroy all life when they were controlled by the Reapers, who wanted to destroy advanced civilizations to stop them from creating synthetics to destroy the advanced civilizations.

3. That they all needed to end with Shepard dying for some reason that was never explained. I could understand if it was a bittersweet ending where he died and the reapers were destroyed because of a bomb or a sacrafice, but because of space magic?

4. Why did Joker jump away from the fight? And how the hell did he walk out of a crash landing? He has Vrolik's syndrome. He would be dead, or at the very least crippled badly enough that he'd have to crawl. And he apparently went back to pick up Liara and Garrus, who were with me on the final mission, before he fled the battle. Not to mention that on my second playthrough where I chose the destroy ending again, EDI walked out of the ship with him.

5. The fact that your decisions don't really matter in the ending makes me angry too. It only matters whether you choose Red, Green, or Blue, and whether you gathered enough +1's to get the green ending.

6. The catalyst completely ruined the threat of the Reapers. "You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it." That line gave me chills. Soveriegn wasn't just scary, he was intimidating. Harbinger was intimidating as well. The Reapers gave off evil. That they had no purpose other than to be puppets for some God child pissed me off. I'd rather they have gone with the ending they had originally planned for, with Dark Energy.

Probably more to list, but I'm done ranting about the end for now.

Complaints about the game in general:

1. The Journal: Way too many times I was doing multiple quests and forgot where I was in one, having to spend ten or twenty minutes trying to figure out where I was supposed to go because the journal doesn't tell you a damn thing. I'd be fine if the dialouge gave you more hints than "Go talk to X".

2. The fact that in order to get the ''best'' ending legitly, you either had to play through twice or play multiplayer. Multiplayer should not have an effect on the quality of the single player game. They say you can get the best ending with one playthrough, but I'm honestly not sure how, as I saved the two races that were fighting, as well as saving everyone in the ME2 suicide mission, did all the side missions I could find, and still only wound up at about 7k MS, which was lowered to 3.5k because I didn't play multiplayer. I then promptly editted the strength of an elcor flotilla I found to give 555k MS.

3. Space Ninja. Anyone who's played knows what I'm talking about.

Props on the game:

1. Leveling: Really loved the branch system they implemented, even if I still miss the seperate cooldowns of ME1.

2. Characters: I really loved the characters, though that's more of a thing from the entire series than just this game. The goodbye's before the final mission were amazing, and I wished I'd romanced Liara after hers. Traynor, who replaces Chambers, was really great and I enjoyed her more than Chambers.

3. Load times: Not sure how it was on console, but on my PC, it seemed to be optimized amazingly well, as load times never exceeded five seconds (Except for after I installed the copy I bought instead of the pirated one, then connecting to Origin took about thirty seconds of a frozen screen at the start).

4. Story: Besides a rocky start and the end, the story was done amazingly well. I felt conflicted, and I actually felt emotions on Rannoch, Tuchunka, and Thessia. Great writing, by the entire team.

Overall, I would really reccomend getting the game, but then after you meet TIM at the end, alt+f4 and subscribe to the theory of Marauder Shields and make up your own headcanon. The ending is worse than not knowing.

Game gets a 8.5/10 for me, for some aforementioned complaints and the destruction of a triliogy at the end.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:28 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I don't think so... Both Dragon Age games had great endings. Jade Empire's ending left me dumbstruck, it was so awesome. KOTOR's ending was better than any Star Wars movie. Baldur's Gate and BG2 were the games that sucked me into gaming in the first place and although Neverwinter Nights had a lackluster ending, it wasn't nearly as entirely out of sync and disappointing as ME3. (truth be told, I thought the Neverwinter games sucked in general, especially after playing Baldur's Gate)

Anyway Bioware really blew it.

Still I think I'd rather Bioware not try to patch in a new ending after the fact. Now that the first playthrough is done, it just wouldn't matter. The damage is already done.

Somehow I'll find a way to go on living... and Bioware should learn something from the experience but leave ME behind and move on to something new.
Fair enough... My recent Bioware experiences were with this and Neverwinter, so perhaps my opinion is a bit jaded.

In general I love Bioware games, I was just speaking to the endings... I put down Dragon Age in order to go through the entire ME trilogy, so I'll get back to it soon...

Looking for an old copy of KOTOR because I never played it.

Agree on Baldur's Gate. Believe it was pivotal in bringing true role-playing to computer RPGs rather than hack and slash adventure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games