Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 08:33 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Did anyone else get the new Tomb Raider game yet? I finally got a chance to play it last night and I have to say I'm greatly enjoying it! It doesn't feel like a typical Tomb Raider game. The graphics are very nice and so far the story is intriguing. I'm not too far into it yet, though. My only complaint is that it isn't more open word and so far seems to be very linear and you're forced to take a certain path that you can't venture far from. Still, I think it was a good buy!
Pardon my daftness, all other Tomb Raider games were they open world sandbox games? Is Lara still sexy or they make her ugly for the feminist movements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 06:12 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Pardon my daftness, all other Tomb Raider games were they open world sandbox games? Is Lara still sexy or they make her ugly for the feminist movements?
No the other Tomb Raider games weren't open world. The thing with this game is they go out of their way to try to make it feel like you can take many different paths and like it is open world but it really isn't. I'm not sure what Lara being sexy has to do with anything.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:57 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,611,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Still sexy, but much less confident since this is set in her younger years.

The open areas aren't sandbox by any means but you often have a few different ways to approach how to dispatch an enemy. You can go completely stealth, you can distract them and then go for a stealth or gun kill or you can choose to completely avoid some enemies. You don't get as many options as you do in some other games (like Far Cry 3) but you have more options that what I remember from other Tomb Raider games. Certain areas are completely linear, though.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
No the other Tomb Raider games weren't open world. The thing with this game is they go out of their way to try to make it feel like you can take many different paths and like it is open world but it really isn't. I'm not sure what Lara being sexy has to do with anything.
Ohh just curious some of the new stories where Croft was being redesigned to be not so offensive.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:05 AM

29,511 posts, read 22,630,868 times
I started playing this game this weekend and love it so far.

It was on sale at the Playstation store, the definitive edition, so decided to give it a try.

Some aspects of the game are similar to Uncharted 4 including the mechanics, so wondering if U4 'borrowed' some elements from the game.

It is linear in that you have to go through the levels in a certain way in order to progress the story. You can backtrack to find items. But I find the story line very absorbing and the graphics look great on the PS4.

I like how they remodeled Lara, they toned down the costume from the original versions and made her into a beautiful but somewhat reserved heroine.

This is the first time playing any game in the franchise by the way. Hopefully they'll release Rise of the Tomb Raider for the PS4 later this year.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:02 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,189 times
This game was dog**** and I played it on PC.

Worst ending I've seen since Far Cry 2. What a joke of a final boss. Lara's model was great and all but that's about it. I didn't use the survival instinct until towards the end. I had no desire to play again or to find the rest of the collectibles. My first playthrough was on hard.

I played the other games prior to the reboot. I can see why they reboot the series. Too bad the reboot wasn't much of an improvement. This game was just another cover based shooter. At least the other games put emphasis on exploring and had way much better puzzles.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:33 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,726,689 times
I played both new Tomb Raider games and loved both. Graphics, atmosphere (the Gulag could have had more.. well, traces of atrocities, maybe a cemetery.. but it was still a fascinating place), level design all were great, but they would be nothing without proper gameplay mechanics and crisp controls and the game had it all in abundance. I can't recall a single frustrating moment where Lara wouldn't be able to jump somewhere she should be able to, no frustrating glitches etc. On top of that, combat is fantastic, especially if you decide to challenge yourself a bit and only use the bow.
There was quite a bit of exploring involved, the puzzles were fun and weren't the frustrating type you keep failing because of timing, though honestly I'd love there to be more and more difficult ones. Final boss was cr*p but that seems to be the standard nowadays (I remember being very angry about how much final bosses from Borderlands and Mass Effect 2 sucked) so it's not that big a deal to me.
The only real downside imo is the lack of multiplayer, I actually wanted to play it, and that's rarely the case with single player oriented games like this.

Generally as someone who never really enjoyed old TR games, someone who at the same time finished all but the last Uncharted games, I loved the reboot. Additionally, the first game seems to be available dirt cheap (at least on PC) - I got my for a dollar from humble bundle, and the 2nd one too if you look around - I bought a (legit, not a stolen one on ebay or something) steam key for 20$.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:06 PM

29,511 posts, read 22,630,868 times
I got done a few days ago.

I didn't think the last 'real' boss was too bad. I passed it on my first try.

And that double handed gun thing at the end, so cool.

That's one thing I liked about this game more than UC4, the fight mechanics were much better.

Unfortunately I have to wait until later this year for Rise of Tomb Raider to come out on PS4.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Did anyone else get the new Tomb Raider game yet? I finally got a chance to play it last night and I have to say I'm greatly enjoying it! It doesn't feel like a typical Tomb Raider game. The graphics are very nice and so far the story is intriguing. I'm not too far into it yet, though. My only complaint is that it isn't more open word and so far seems to be very linear and you're forced to take a certain path that you can't venture far from. Still, I think it was a good buy!
I haven't played the newer Tomb Raider games yet. It's a long lasting franchise though. I'm not sure if the newer one is on PlayStation 4 yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games