Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:24 PM

536 posts, read 830,008 times

Advertisements

Hard to believe, but Nintendo has the #1 and #2 best selling games of all time.

#2 Being Super Mario Brothers - Which isn't that hard to believe, but you would kind of think that other PlayStation or Xbox titles would have out sold it by now

#1 The best selling game of all time is Wii Sports which is pretty surprising to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 12:35 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times
Nintendo was clearly unprepared for the Wii U as they underestimate the time needed to develop their games. They are taking way too long to release them. Maybe they are not familiar with HD? I do not know. New Super Mario Bros U visually was nothing special oppose to what I have seen from Mario Kart 8. Their most interesting games comes out next year. Nintendo would not be in the position they are in currently if they allow their games to coincide with the release of the Wii U. Nintendo failing to market the Wii U hasn't helped them either.

I saw potential and went ahead and purchase the Wii U but I did not think there would be such a huge gap between games. Microsoft got hurt by their own hubris. The damage is done for them. Buying a Xbox One is like giving someone a hug after they punched you in the face. Their E3 demos were being run on PC more powerful than their own console, continuing insulting their customers. I do not understand why anyone would purchase a Xbox One.

Sony reminded me of its older days with the PS and PS2 and with the announcement of developing 30 first party games oppose to Microsoft's 15 and being a $100 cheaper and having much better hardware of the two, the PS4 is the best choice available. Microsoft likely have a bunch of accessories people must buy separately.

I still think Nintendo will turn it around eventually but they got to stop repeating the same mistakes.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Nintendo will finally fall off like Sega after this generation. I will not support nintendo again to be let down with poor third party support. They got lucky with the Wii gimick but this time around they don't have anything to seperate them from the pack.

R.I.P. nintendo.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:18 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
Hard to believe, but Nintendo has the #1 and #2 best selling games of all time.

#2 Being Super Mario Brothers - Which isn't that hard to believe, but you would kind of think that other PlayStation or Xbox titles would have out sold it by now

#1 The best selling game of all time is Wii Sports which is pretty surprising to me

These were games that were bundled with the systems.

And in both of those generations they sold a TON of systems.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:29 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Their E3 demos were being run on PC more powerful than their own console, continuing insulting their customers. I do not understand why anyone would purchase a Xbox One.
If you think any E3 Demo's for new gen are running on production hardware I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you...

Ever wonder why Motorstorm for PS3 and KillZone 2 on PS3 look different to the E3 demos...? Jack Tretton (yes that Jack Tretton) is on record as saying all E3 gamplay for PS3 was "real gameplay", sure Jack... So why does the Resistance look REALLY good even by todays standards, when a top of the line PC can graphically stomp the PS3 into a greasy spot. Of course Sony admitted later the hardware was not comparable to the finalized PS3 hardware, but I've said before you know that Jack Tretton is lying because his lips are moving.

Quote:
Sony reminded me of its older days with the PS and PS2 and with the announcement of developing 30 first party games oppose to Microsoft's 15 and being a $100 cheaper and having much better hardware of the two, the PS4 is the best choice available. Microsoft likely have a bunch of accessories people must buy separately.
On the announcements... Well I've been in this long enough to know that half of all announcements come to pass, and that half is only half as good as it's made out to be (Ni-Oh, Eyedentity, Fifth Phantom saga, Killing day, Eight Days ring any bells? No? because they were vaporware from the PS3 launch).

Much better hardware...? how? All I can see is PS4 has GDDR5 and Xbox One has DDR3 (GDDR5 is based on DDR2 architecture), other than that they're pretty much at parity on the processing side. Even so it's not all about the hardware, but about what can be used. PS3 Stomps Xbox360 for total processing power, but the games are only marginally better in appearance (lets be honest only hardcore graphics fans really care the clarity differences). PS2 had a claimed 3 times the total processing power as an original Xbox, that said in that generation who had the better looking games? It's not what you have, it's what you can use.

Given that Microsoft has a lot of experience as a platform company, and API/Tools development company, invariably Xbox developers can leverage far more of the hardware that they can with Sony (even with Sony falling into bed with the x64 architecture). Also consider that using online Azure processing for lag resilient computation can well mean that the actual box performance is much greater than the sum of it's parts even if the power of the platforms can be leveraged equally between both systems, if you can offload game economics processing, server computation for multi-player, world event processing, etc. to something off box, you can reclaim a lot of cycles for real-time execution and player experience.

As far as accessories... Doesn't Sony also sell accessories? Aren't they in the market to make money too? I got to tell you the included PS4 Headset is total win, it's not like anyone would want to get something different... because we're all using wired earbud headsets for our hands free cell phones aren't we, I mean I know a $100 headset in a $400 console box is a little extreme, but the one they're showing is a $0.25 model at most. Xbox One supports USB 3.0 so chances are good for using a USB dongle wireless keyboards, mice, etc. It depends on the drivers included in the box.

Quote:
I still think Nintendo will turn it around eventually but they got to stop repeating the same mistakes.
Really? I'm surprised they've lasted this long, N64 was a mess, Gamecube was a disaster, Wii was a success, but more by accident and price than by giving gamers what they desire, Wii U, just looks like an Etch-a-Sketch, and has seriously questionable developer support. All I can say is the Nintendo model for selling hardware at a profit, certainly has advantages, if Sony of MS did what Nintendo do without that advantage they'd be gone by now.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 PM

536 posts, read 830,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
These were games that were bundled with the systems.

And in both of those generations they sold a TON of systems.
Yeah I just would have thought a title like a Halo or a GTA would have outsold them by now. They have said consoles sales have been steadily declining in recent years though.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Nintendo will finally fall off like Sega after this generation. I will not support nintendo again to be let down with poor third party support. They got lucky with the Wii gimick but this time around they don't have anything to seperate them from the pack.

R.I.P. nintendo.
Sega's excessive Genesis expansions, the failure of the Sega Saturn, debt and the finally caught up to them. They found themselves in debt as well as heavy competition from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo dropped out of the console race. Nintendo could fail the Wii U and it wouldn't hurt them one bit. Nintendo is loaded with money. They aren't going anywhere no time soon.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:59 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
Yeah I just would have thought a title like a Halo or a GTA would have outsold them by now. They have said consoles sales have been steadily declining in recent years though.
Both of these (Nintendo's) systems were also cheap; that's one of the reasons why they sold so many.

There are 149 million of those systems out there, and you had no choice but to buy the game along with them.

There are conversely 101 million Xbox/360 consoles out there and guess which game is their best seller? Kinect Adventures.

The highest selling games without bundles, like your CoDs and Halos at best can hope to sell between 8-20 million copies. And that's optimistic.

A great game, now-a-days, will be lucky to peak at 5 million

---

F2P games have "out sold" or out downloaded many games, as people/casual gamers expect games to either be free or low cost.

Microsoft has in part, realized this and is focusing on, (or at least shifting focus on) a media center approach.

Also both Sony and MS have realized that 86x is cheaper, more common, to get more bang for their and the publisher's dollar.

So in the end I don't see consoles going away, they've just have been streamlined. And I agree with the other poster: Nintendo is going the way of the buffalo.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:31 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post

R.I.P. nintendo.
What happened to Sega, will not happen to Nintendo. Nintendo didnt push Sega out, Sony did though. For the past 3 generations they have been a Novelty company with Novelty software. Nintendo is the last of the old guard...but people who dont like the "typical gamer" will always support Nintendo.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
If you think any E3 Demo's for new gen are running on production hardware I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you...

I'm surprised they've lasted this long, N64 was a mess, Gamecube was a disaster
I learned something new, I didn't know they made a "special" system just for E3. That's pretty lame that they would do that.

I own the N64, I absolutely love it and don't think it was a mess at all. As far as the Gamecube, Mine is still sitting in the original box, and I played it a whole 3 times, and my brothers kid played it about 4 times. It's still in mint condition lol.. I didn't care for it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games