Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Dorky Kid Buy a PS3 or an XBox 360 (and why)?
PS3 67 59.29%
XBox 360 46 40.71%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:17 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,385,398 times

Advertisements

they are both the same price. PS3 has dedicated game servers, 360 does not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrench8456 View Post
i would deff say 360 its cheaper there are more games and it has much better online play than the ps3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,509,158 times
Theres a little matrix thing that someone drew up. I'll try to find it later today.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Hello!

Even though I come off as an intellectual on this forum, I do have an aggressive, sadistic side to me that I like to quench every now and then by firing up Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on my trusty PlayStation 2. Needless to say I was heartbroken when I learned that the newest installment of the game series was only going to be released for XBox360 or PlayStation 3.

I'm earning a decent wage now and will hopefully use the OverStock.com gift I received from here on City-Data to supplement my new gaming system purchase. According to that site I can currently purchase an XBox 360 for about $250 and a PS3 for about $400. Is it worth the extra $150 to go out on a limb and acquire the PS3, or should I go the "cheap" route with the XBox 360?

I'm currently leaning towards a PS3, even though most of my friends are telling me to go for the XBox 360. Here's my reasoning:

1.) I already own 30 or so games for my PS2 system, and it would be nice obviously to still play them on my PS3. On the other hand I would likely net probably $1,000 or so if I had decided to sell all 30 of the games and the PS2console in favor of purchasing the XBox 360. I've also heard that the PS3 is having difficulty playing many PS2 games. Can anyone substantiate this claim?

2.) The PS3 can also play Blue-Ray Disc DVDs, which would save me money in the long-run by not having to purchase a new DVD player in the future as technology continues to improve.

What do others think?
This podcast (link) holds many answers. when you download it you will have to add .mp3 to the end of the name to make it work.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:19 AM

*follow up*

fast forward through the pod cast to about 1:02:00 for the PS3 Vs 360 comparison. I should also mention these are the guys from the IGN video game website

Old 02-07-2008, 12:01 PM

311 posts, read 1,058,987 times
Definitely go for the PS3. The XBOX 360 is plagued with hardware problems that aren't improving and just about every good game for the system has or will come out for PC eventually. The PS3, on the other hand, has many great, original exclusive games like Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Resistance: Fall of Man and the upcoming Metal Gear Solid 4.

You might end up paying a bit more for the system but in the end you'll be happy. The blu-ray player is a great bonus and stand-alone players cost just as much, if not more, than the PS3 in my area so it's worth it.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:56 PM

854 posts, read 2,866,445 times
i just found out how fast the 360 can scratch a cd... don't even touch the damn console when the console is running. there goes my call of duty 4 cd

Old 02-08-2008, 03:17 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,509,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
i just found out how fast the 360 can scratch a cd... don't even touch the damn console when the console is running. there goes my call of duty 4 cd
never touch a cd based console when its running! Didn't we all learn this when cd players came out and you moved them like 1/4 of an inch, and the cd stopped playing for 30 second?

BAD! BAD!

But yeah, thats not good

Can't find the thing I've been looking for, but basically.

If you like to play video games.
Buy a PC

If you don't like to play video games:
Well, do you have friends?
No?
Buy a PS3

You DO have friends?
Real Friends or Internet Friends?
Real Friends: Buy a Wii

Internet Friends: Buy a 360.

The choice is clear.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:59 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,929,385 times
I have been a playstation guy all my life, and I did break down and buy a 80 gig PS3 and it is great. I have played the 360 and the graphics are so much better on the PS3.

I always said the same thing that I keep on buying the playstations because I could play my old games, but really, no one ever does.

I have Madden, always good, and the newst Call of Duty, excellent. I too can't wait for the newest GTA to come out. With the power and graphics of the PS3, it should be amazing.

Don't waste your money on a 360. Between paying to play online, and the built in Blu-Ray, it is well worth the extra money.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:59 AM

For a good look at the war between ps3 and 360 in 2008 get this months EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly). They give a head to head look between games, online and features.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:22 PM

8 posts, read 22,968 times
Personally I went with the Xbox 360. This April I picked up a Xbox 360 Elite console and am here to say that after 100's of hours of gaming, I dont regret the purchase one bit. Even the standard now comes with the HDMI output (although you dont get the HDMI cable until you step up to the Elite).

Heres why I love my xbox 360:
1) XNA - Microsoft wrote a great development package called XNA Game Studio Express for the xbox 360, and game companies around the world have said its easier to write games for the 360. Horror stories are easily found about writing code for the play station 3 and its cell architecture. It seems frequently the games are coded for xbox and ported over to PS3, meaning it looks better on the 360 than the PS3 becaues the original code is optimized for the 360. Look no further than the reviews on Assassins Creed to prove my point. Gametrailers.com - Assassin's Creed - PS3 vs Xbox 360 Comparison HD

2) Microsoft realized it messed up before with the lack of console exclusives and now their dising out the money to secure them. Look at lost planet, dead rising, need I mention the halo franchise? (admittedly though it looks like a Capcom is considering a port of lost planet to ps3)

3) XBOX LIVE! - Yes you do have to pay $50/year for the gold version, which is 100% worth it. Would you play $4.08 per month to have quality gaming with a headset? The system is very well developed and works great most of the time. There is an extensive list of arcade games, even some nintendo classics (gauntlet ii anyone?) and original xbox games for download. High definition movies and even tv series can be downloaded too. Of course theres a fee for all this, but you can get a movie cheaper than your local videostore. I've never seen netflix arrive in just a few hours! I really think the LIVE! network is set up quite well.

4) The games - The xbox 360 has been out longer and has more games. Xbox.com | Xbox 360 Games (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox360games.htm - broken link)

5) Can you say achievement points? Its like crack! Like WoW addicting type crack.

You mentioned Blu-ray as a motivating factor. Don't forget that the format war isnt over and blu-ray may loose. As a side note too, High definition video players are falling in price very rapidly, so its only a matter of time before your walmart special is a $40 high def dvd player.

All in all, I think a 360 is the way to go, but be sure to get the one with atleast a 20 gb hard drive.
T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games