Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Dorky Kid Buy a PS3 or an XBox 360 (and why)?
PS3 67 59.29%
XBox 360 46 40.71%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:50 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Even though I come off as an intellectual on this forum, I do have an aggressive, sadistic side to me that I like to quench every now and then by firing up Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on my trusty PlayStation 2. Needless to say I was heartbroken when I learned that the newest installment of the game series was only going to be released for XBox360 or PlayStation 3.

I'm earning a decent wage now and will hopefully use the OverStock.com gift I received from here on City-Data to supplement my new gaming system purchase. According to that site I can currently purchase an XBox 360 for about $250 and a PS3 for about $400. Is it worth the extra $150 to go out on a limb and acquire the PS3, or should I go the "cheap" route with the XBox 360?

I'm currently leaning towards a PS3, even though most of my friends are telling me to go for the XBox 360. Here's my reasoning:

1.) I already own 30 or so games for my PS2 system, and it would be nice obviously to still play them on my PS3. On the other hand I would likely net probably $1,000 or so if I had decided to sell all 30 of the games and the PS2console in favor of purchasing the XBox 360. I've also heard that the PS3 is having difficulty playing many PS2 games. Can anyone substantiate this claim?

2.) The PS3 can also play Blue-Ray Disc DVDs, which would save me money in the long-run by not having to purchase a new DVD player in the future as technology continues to improve.

What do others think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 12:53 PM

170 posts, read 477,319 times
Why buy a system for yourself, when you can be a good guy and buy one for poor ol me. *cough cough* An Xbox 360 would be nice. I'll PM you my address.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthySailor View Post
Why buy a system for yourself, when you can be a good guy and buy one for poor ol me. *cough cough* An Xbox 360 would be nice. I'll PM you my address.
True. I'd still have privileges though to come over and play GTA4 at my leisure of course. Let's forget about the five states that separate us! LOL!

Old 02-04-2008, 01:08 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post

I'm currently leaning towards a PS3, even though most of my friends are telling me to go for the XBox 360. Here's my reasoning:

1.) I already own 30 or so games for my PS2 system, and it would be nice obviously to still play them on my PS3. On the other hand I would likely net probably $1,000 or so if I had decided to sell all 30 of the games and the PS2console in favor of purchasing the XBox 360. I've also heard that the PS3 is having difficulty playing many PS2 games. Can anyone substantiate this claim?

2.) The PS3 can also play Blue-Ray Disc DVDs, which would save me money in the long-run by not having to purchase a new DVD player in the future as technology continues to improve.
I have neither, but I too am leaning more towards the PS 3, but with some reservations. I'd like the idea of it being backwards compatible becuase I have PS 2 games. I bought a PS 2 so I could still play my old ps games, but in reality never did. But not all games will work on the new system, and since I really only play sports games I'd have to update all my games anyway. Aand I hate to tell you there is no way you could sell all of your old games and console for $1000, maybe 100, maybe.

As for the Blue ray player. It seems like a good thing to have rather buy a new one. But one of the reasons I originally bought a PS 2 was because it had a DVD player and I didn't have a seperate one. But once I got the PS 2, the DVD player on it kind of sucked and had no remote, so I bought a seperate DVD player a few months later anyway.

I've never played a PS 3 so I have no personal experience with one, but I have played a 360 quite a bit and it is pretty quick to load and works really well, so I don't know.

That was my round about way of saying try them both, you can ussually rent them at blockbuster. I hope it wasn't a waste of time writing all that.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:10 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
But regardless of what you get Guitar Hero III is a must.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:22 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,346 times
Well this other prefers to pull out her trusty sword and go troll smashing. But to each their own!

From what I know (and the PS3 info changes quickly) the 40G PS3 will not play PS2 games but the 80G (more$$$) will play some, but not all. From what I have read they are releasing new 'patches' every so often that allow more PS2 games to work, but it is still a waiting game.

We have been a Playstation family since day 1, and we are going to wait awhile longer before we jump in on the PS3... there are quite a few unhappy Playstation fans out there right now!

I suggest doing PLENTY of research before you decide!

Try googling "PS2 games on PS3"

Good luck and happy gaming!

Old 02-04-2008, 03:06 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Hello!

Even though I come off as an intellectual on this forum, I do have an aggressive, sadistic side to me that I like to quench every now and then by firing up Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on my trusty PlayStation 2. Needless to say I was heartbroken when I learned that the newest installment of the game series was only going to be released for XBox360 or PlayStation 3.

I'm earning a decent wage now and will hopefully use the OverStock.com gift I received from here on City-Data to supplement my new gaming system purchase. According to that site I can currently purchase an XBox 360 for about $250 and a PS3 for about $400. Is it worth the extra $150 to go out on a limb and acquire the PS3, or should I go the "cheap" route with the XBox 360?

What do others think?
I bought a 360 at launch, had it for a year and sold it. I was not that impressed with the games at all.

As for it being "cheaper" that is dependant on a few things. Do you plan to go online with it? If so that is a 50 dollar a year endeavor. After a few years you already catch up to the upfront cost of PS3 where online is free.

Speaking of online, I enjoy the ps3 online better than the 360, we have dedicated servers on the PS3, the 360 uses peer to peer. So why 360 owners pay to play peer to peer with smaller numbers of people online in a game than the ps3, we also have less lag because again its dedicated servers.

The multi media capabilities on the ps3 is absolutly amazing. Right now I have a 650 GB HDD with about 20 HD movies on it. I plug that external hard drive into my ps3 via USB and guess what? I can watch my HD movies with out a hitch. I could also stream the movies if I liked as well (from PC to Ps3) via my wired/wireless network.

Graphically PS3 is better as well. The best game graphically on the 360 was Gears of War and I have not seen or heard of any game on the 360 to date. However on the Ps3 heavenly sword and Uncharted easily dwarf Gears of War.

Some online features like voice messaging friends are not present on the ps3 nor is in game access to your dashboard but they have said it is in the works and is a matter of time before it comes. Sony's offering isn't as robust online yet as xbox live but xbox live has had 5 yrs to get it right and PSN has been out for a year. However it has made leaps and bounds in the time it has been around and its FREE.

If you want to play your old games I should warn you to get a 60 or 80 GB PS3. the 40 GB is not backward compatible.

be hold the beauty

^^

yes that is the actual game running and not a in game movie.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:42 PM

Thank you all thus far for your insight; I'm learning so much! I wasn't aware that the most basic version of the PS3 wasn't backwards compatible, and after further research I've been reading all sorts of horror stories from others online about how many of their PS2 games either don't work on the PS3 or look very choppy. I even watched a brief YouTube video in which someone did a side-by-side comparison of PS2 games being run on both the PS2 and PS3, and believe it or not the graphics were much better on the PS2 because the PS3 wasn't fully backwards-compatible. In this sense I might just be best off selling my PS2 and all of its games and using the proceeds to purchase a new console with the balance being split towards savings and a few games. I know GameStop is running a promotion where if you put your video game trades towards reserving a copy of GTA4 you'll get a higher premium for the games you trade in. I also agree with my pal from Idaho who mentioned that he never played his PS One games on his PS2; neither did I, and I'm sure the same could probably be said for the PS2 games once I get the PS3.

I'm not much into online gaming, but it's also good to know that Microsoft charges for XBox 360 Live while Sony doesn't charge for PS3 Online should I ever decide to dabble in it.

As far as game variety is concerned I hate to admit it but the ONLY reason why I'm now considering the upgrade is because of the fact that GTA4 is only coming out on these two consoles; why Rockstar Games would opt to narrow its potential sales market so severely is beyond me (could you imagine how awesome it would be to have Grand Theft Auto on the Wii?!) I'm mostly a PC "Sim" and/or business strategy gamer (The Sims 2, SimCity 4, Roller Coaster Tycoon, The Movies, Restaurant Empire, etc.), so I rarely do console games other than a few favorites like GTA.

Please keep the advice coming; I'm learning so much!

Old 02-04-2008, 05:16 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
on the PS2 games on PS3 looking worse. That depends on if you turn on certain features. i forget which but, do a search and you will find out what to turn on in the settings to make it look good. I can't recall of my head what it is.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:40 PM

262 posts, read 300,111 times
i would deff say 360 its cheaper there are more games and it has much better online play than the ps3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games