Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 06:58 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times

Advertisements

Hi Gamers,

Please bear with me--I haven't played a video game in more than 15 years, and I'm not up on VGs at all. But I need some current info, and what better place to ask than here? What is the best video game out today that actually has a story line, a real plot that is more or less interactive? = You can determine the course of action through your decisions. So not "just" a game of killing/strategy, but an immersion in a world that you're partly co-creating. Anything like that out there for either home computers or for Internet gaming? Would World of Warcraft qualify? I read on another thread that it is beginning to feel dated, and I need info about cutting edge games. I've read the thread about VR, and that sounds fascinating, but I don't know if those upcoming games will typically have narrative plots, and that's what I'm after.

I'll bet my question shows my ignorance. Looking forward to being educated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 05:28 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Best game with a plot line, a game where your choices matter, where the world changes depending on what you decide to do. A game with (I assume that's what you want)a mature story, a game that doesn't treat you as an idiot - but at the same time is accessible. A game that has memorable characters, engulfing story etc.
Well, I'm happy to say there is one game like that. It's called Witcher 3.
No, you don't have to play the previous 2 parts to know what is going on. It helps but it's not crucial and you will be brought up to speed with what is what and who is who quickly. This is a game where there is no good or evil, no right or wrong choice - only the consequences you have to live with. A game that includes things like sex or death, in a way they feel real. They have the impact they should. It's also one of, if not the prettiest game out there and has an amazing, very unique sounding soundtrack. Finally, it is really huge and full of unique quests,
I think this trailer sums up much of what the game is about really well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVdAasjOgU
And this one shows more of the story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBoCRYX6Vq0
Best game of the year in my opinion. And I'm not alone in this.
Yac.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:42 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Best game with a plot line, a game where your choices matter, where the world changes depending on what you decide to do. A game with (I assume that's what you want)a mature story, a game that doesn't treat you as an idiot - but at the same time is accessible. A game that has memorable characters, engulfing story etc.
No, you don't have to play the previous 2 parts to know what is going on. It helps but it's not crucial and you will be brought up to speed with what is what and who is who quickly. This is a game where there is no good or evil, no right or wrong choice - only the consequences you have to live with. A game that includes things like sex or death, in a way they feel real. They have the impact they should. It's also one of, if not the prettiest game out there and has an amazing, very unique sounding soundtrack. Finally, it is really huge and full of unique quests,

Yac.
Exactly! That looks amazing! Kind of Game-of-Thronish. Thanks so much.

Any game of similar quality that takes place in a contemporary setting?

Old 01-20-2016, 01:50 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
You might enjoy Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas

Old 01-21-2016, 12:31 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Comparisons to Game of thrones have been numerous, I'd say the biggest one is how unforgiving the world is. How brutal the people can be. It has to be said though that the Witcher books predate the Game of thrones books, before someone comes in with the idea to accuse the game of being unoriginal
Contemporary.... well, I'd say GTA 5. The story is rather fixed, you don't get to choose.. but it's great. 3 protagonists with their fates intertwined, so to say, a very well written script with a ton of great characters, great dialog, plot twists etc. Add to that a huge world full of activities, it is very immersive. And the ability to freely switch between the 3 heroes gives you the degree of freedom necessary for a fully linear story not to feel restricting at all.
It's a game for adults, with adult themes, sometimes very disturbing - but really well written most of the time. Story wise I'd say it could be compared to a good netflix or hbo series. It tells a story about criminals who are, apart from being bank robbers and thieves, also human. So the quests you get vary from robbing a corporate vault to helping your cousin get a job at the docks.
Here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjZ5tgjPVfU
Other than that to be honest I can't think of a game that would at least somewhat meet your criteria and that I could recommend.
Yac.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:22 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,141 times
Quote:

Yac.
Witcher 3 is an amazing game. I've put countless hours into it on my Xbox One. Another game that might serve you well would Fallout 4? The story is simple and not in depth like The Witcher 3, but it's a great game that you can play hours at a time

Old 01-21-2016, 12:45 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Default oh...

They have story lines?
K

Old 01-21-2016, 09:35 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
The games based on TV shows like The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones are somewhat "Choose Your Own Adventure" where you can make split-second decisions which affect the outcome of the immediate (if not overall) plot. They're very graphic-novelish in their animation, also. I'd also recommend The Last of Us, which isn't quite a "CYOA" type of game, but still has a great story to follow along with the game play.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:42 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Until Dawn would be right up your alley.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:42 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Comparisons to Game of thrones have been numerous, I'd say the biggest one is how unforgiving the world is. How brutal the people can be. It has to be said though that the Witcher books predate the Game of thrones books, before someone comes in with the idea to accuse the game of being unoriginal
Contemporary.... well, I'd say GTA 5. The story is rather fixed, you don't get to choose.. but it's great. 3 protagonists with their fates intertwined, so to say, a very well written script with a ton of great characters, great dialog, plot twists etc. Add to that a huge world full of activities, it is very immersive. And the ability to freely switch between the 3 heroes gives you the degree of freedom necessary for a fully linear story not to feel restricting at all.
It's a game for adults, with adult themes, sometimes very disturbing - but really well written most of the time. Story wise I'd say it could be compared to a good netflix or hbo series. It tells a story about criminals who are, apart from being bank robbers and thieves, also human. So the quests you get vary from robbing a corporate vault to helping your cousin get a job at the docks.
Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjZ5tgjPVfU
Other than that to be honest I can't think of a game that would at least somewhat meet your criteria and that I could recommend.
Yac.
Well, you could say it's not since it's based on the books rather than an original IP, I suppose. Never read the books which were only recently translated into English.

I'd throw in Dragon Age series, Origins especially. DA:II and Inquisition while not bad games didn't really measure up. In contrast the Witcher series just got better. I guess the early Dragon Age/Witcher games aren't exactly cutting edge at this point but they're not Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale old either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games