Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:49 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Could the days of the $400 Playstation 3 be numbered?

So says financial analyst Michael Pachter, who predicted this week that Sony will trim the price of its cheapest Playstation 3 pack to a "more affordable" $299 in April, and that an Xbox 360 price cut will follow by June.

PS3 will be $299 in April, analyst predicts - Video Game Feature - Yahoo! Video Games
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 09:25 AM

3,952 posts, read 5,091,305 times
Default Build it for your self and they will come

Oh how the mighty have fallen!

Sony forgot the cardinal rule of gaming; it’s not about how powerful your console is, it’s about what exceptional games are exclusive to it.

Proof: The Nintendo Wii has sold nearly as many units worldwide as the PS3 and Xbox 360 combined on the strength of Nintendo’s excellent and exclusive first party software.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:56 PM

371 posts, read 1,761,759 times
This, along Killzone 2 just my turn the world upside down...

Anyone else sensing sell out?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:28 PM

262 posts, read 567,245 times
This is great news!Awesome.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:18 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,280 times
I never got a ps3 but i have a wii and 360 and obviously my PC for gaming. a 300 dollar ps3 might be tempting though...even for the bluray player even

Old 01-19-2009, 07:52 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Oh how the mighty have fallen!

Sony forgot the cardinal rule of gaming; it’s not about how powerful your console is, it’s about what exceptional games are exclusive to it.

Proof: The Nintendo Wii has sold nearly as many units worldwide as the PS3 and Xbox 360 combined on the strength of Nintendo’s excellent and exclusive first party software.
Not really. The success of WII is due to the particularly niche they carved out - cheap machine for the casual gamer. Exclusive games is beside the point. Actually WII software is approaching "shovelware" content.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 AM

Default Fact check

Worldwide sales of Wii exclusives to date:
Wii Fit: 14.5 million
Mario Kart Wii: 14.1 million
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 8.5 Million
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: 5.1 million not counting the additional 1.6 million it’s sold on the GameCube. I don't think anyone would call this game "shovelware".

Even more amazing is the fact that Nintendo has sold ¾ as many copies of Wii Fit as Sony has sold PS3 consoles and that game has only been out a little more than 12 months!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Worldwide sales of Wii exclusives to date:
Wii Fit: 14.5 million
Mario Kart Wii: 14.1 million
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 8.5 Million
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: 5.1 million not counting the additional 1.6 million it’s sold on the GameCube. I don't think anyone would call this game "shovelware".
no of course not, you are listing best sellers. But this does not disprove nor debate the points of my comment - WII is succesful not because they have exclusive software (although that's an "effect" of the WII "cause") but because they sell games geared to the casual gamers. WII fits and Super Smash Brothers didn't fit the gamer profile of an Xbox or PS3, they weren't designed or marketed that way.

Enter "wii" and "shovelware" into a search engine. You will see it's becoming an issue to Nintendo.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:14 PM

Default A time proven formula for success

Nintendo consoles have always been geared towards “casual gamers”. Since when has a plump mustached plumber, giant gorilla and a menagerie of other zany characters been considered hardcore? Not in my lifetime.

Yes, sadly the Wii has become home to some mindless shovelware but Nintendo’s first party exclusives are generally top quality and that’s why people love and keep buying the Wii.

Sony’s problem and the reason why they may lower the price of the PS3 is because there isn’t any software that strongly compels people to buy the system. The best thing that I hear people ever say about it is, “it sure is a nice Blu Ray player”.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:52 PM

Well, I think at this point Sony has plenty of games. Exclusives will help but really the issue is it's a complex multi-media machine with features that people are not willing to pay for. Nintendo consumers are not interested in the latest hightech machine with built in blue-ray, DVD upscaler, built in wifi, internet capability, 1080p video, and true HD sound cabilities. Sony's competitor is not really Nintendo, but XBOX, and even then their machine makes Xbox look like a Activision box from the 70's. They haven't designed the machine to compete with a simple device like the WII, either hardware wise or software wise. No one buys a Sony to play a WII type game, they want the epic multimillion dollars and years in the making God of War or Killzone or Metal Gear. But I think they've learned that the video game market is more than killing zombies and multiplayer fragging in high-definition dolby 5.1

I would be really suprised that they cut the game price in April. Maybe that's meant to be in conjunction with the release of Killzone 2? or Gods of War 3? Otherwise I wouldn't expect it to be until E3 in the fall or for the next xmas season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games