Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:19 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times

Advertisements

An excellent video, "how not to be a noob in BFBC2". I learned some things - how to mark an oppenent, operating UAV's (wow- predator drones!):

Battlefield Blog (http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2010/02/23/how-to-not-be-a-noob-in-bfbc2.aspx - broken link)

This ain't COD. Learn the game or die. Required for all the wanna-be snipers who's ideo of the game is to sit on a hill all day. That ain't helping the game or your team to win, and if you do that in-game on my team then I swear to you I (and many other of your team-mates) will put a knife in your back and TK you everytime I see you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 02:33 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,973,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
An excellent video, "how not to be a noob in BFBC2". I learned some things - how to mark an oppenent, operating UAV's (wow- predator drones!):

Battlefield Blog (http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2010/02/23/how-to-not-be-a-noob-in-bfbc2.aspx - broken link)

This ain't COD. Learn the game or die. Required for all the wanna-be snipers who's ideo of the game is to sit on a hill all day. That ain't helping the game or your team to win, and if you do that in-game on my team then I swear to you I (and many other of your team-mates) will put a knife in your back and TK you everytime I see you.

Please dont make internet threats...even if it is just about a video game.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Please dont make internet threats...even if it is just about a video game.
HAHAHA, are you serious? Virtual killing in a video game is not what I would describe as an internet threat, and this game, lets face it, is about killing the enemy (or the dummy team player as the case may be).

You do realize what TK means right? If not then you should not be responding in this thread. Great, now I can imagine some idiot mod coming in here and thinking I am some knife murderer.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
HAHAHA, are you serious? Virtual killing in a video game is not what I would describe as an internet threat, and this game, lets face it, is about killing the enemy (or the dummy team player as the case may be).

You do realize what TK means right? If not then you should not be responding in this thread. Great, now I can imagine some idiot mod coming in here and thinking I am some knife murderer.
since Ive been playing MMO's since the first Halo, I think I have a good idea of what team kills are...I was referring specifically to your demand that we "learn the game or die" and that you would would "put a knife in someone's back" if they didnt learn how to snipe correctly.. I mean, I think we can all agree that BBC2 is verily worth stabbing someone over...repeatedly even...I just didnt want anyone taking what you said about shanking someone out of the context of the game.

But no, about the sniping thing....Ill just be honest..Ive been kind of pissed off about the sniping mechanism anyway based on the footage Ive seen so far. What is with the blurring effect of the scope aperture?..thats lame...I also dislike how the sound fades in and out after you've been hit...

oh well, I guess these are just more reasons for me to stab people...either way Im anxious for 03/02

Last edited by solytaire; 02-24-2010 at 04:03 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 05:19 PM

OK then we can change the subject and I promise I won't turn Ted Bundy when I see a sniper in BBC.

Now about snipers however - The thing I liked about the first BBC was the balance. I can honestly say I was killed equally by all weapon classes - assualt, recon, etc. Snipers were not particularly deadly, I would hear the shots pinging around me and that added a level of intensity, but I think I got killed by the snipers pistol rather than the long range rifle when I was killed by that class. It wasn't realistic always - people complained that snipers could not lie down. But that was done for a reason - balance. People complained that the granades launched from the tubes would simply bounce off someone chest harmlessly - again, not realistic, but done for balance. Really the tubes purpose was to blow holes in the walls. Otherwise you have COD with the armies of "noob tube" users.

So it's all done for game balance. But you still have the teams full of snipers. And this is the thing - the object on offense is not to kill the enemy, it's to capture and blow up the crate. Rather, it does nothing at all to win the game by sniping on offense. On defense, the other team will lose the game if they exceed a certain number of deaths, so sniping is a valid strategy. Otherwise, if a defender dies, he simply respawns, with refreshed health and ammo. So it is very frustrating to be one of a few sweating blood and bullets on the front line trying to take that crate when all your teammates are on the other side of the map with a scope. I don't understand it myself - I find it boring to sit in a corner waiting for a target.

And this is one of the things that the game, and the video, is trying to stress. There is NOT a sniper class in BBC2. There are sniper rifles, but the class is called recon I think. You have an array of weapons including very effective C2 to bring down a tank. If you just sit and snipe, you are doing a diservice to yourself and your team mates (on offense anyways). BBC2 can discourage sniping, and I think that's what they are trying to do. Alas, people just love to snipe for some reason.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
OK then we can change the subject and I promise I won't turn Ted Bundy when I see a sniper in BBC.

Now about snipers however - The thing I liked about the first BBC was the balance. I can honestly say I was killed equally by all weapon classes - assualt, recon, etc. Snipers were not particularly deadly, I would hear the shots pinging around me and that added a level of intensity, but I think I got killed by the snipers pistol rather than the long range rifle when I was killed by that class. It wasn't realistic always - people complained that snipers could not lie down. But that was done for a reason - balance. People complained that the granades launched from the tubes would simply bounce off someone chest harmlessly - again, not realistic, but done for balance. Really the tubes purpose was to blow holes in the walls. Otherwise you have COD with the armies of "noob tube" users.

So it's all done for game balance. But you still have the teams full of snipers. And this is the thing - the object on offense is not to kill the enemy, it's to capture and blow up the crate. Rather, it does nothing at all to win the game by sniping on offense. On defense, the other team will lose the game if they exceed a certain number of deaths, so sniping is a valid strategy. Otherwise, if a defender dies, he simply respawns, with refreshed health and ammo. So it is very frustrating to be one of a few sweating blood and bullets on the front line trying to take that crate when all your teammates are on the other side of the map with a scope. I don't understand it myself - I find it boring to sit in a corner waiting for a target.

And this is one of the things that the game, and the video, is trying to stress. There is NOT a sniper class in BBC2. There are sniper rifles, but the class is called recon I think. You have an array of weapons including very effective C2 to bring down a tank. If you just sit and snipe, you are doing a diservice to yourself and your team mates (on offense anyways). BBC2 can discourage sniping, and I think that's what they are trying to do. Alas, people just love to snipe for some reason.
well, see up until COD4MW and COD WAW, I used not like it when others sniped at all, and I myself never sniped...I found it rather boring, frustrating and cowardly at first, and I got pissed off at the snipers in GRAW...BUT, after hearing people bítch and whine about those of us who had the courage to run out in the open or take cover and engage in firefights in GRAW I learned to snipe myself...I now think sniping can be fun when done skillfully. And few things in video games are more satisfying than headshots. So while still cowardly, sniping imo takes a great deal of patience, courage and steadiness...

But one thing Ive learned through all my experience of gaming is that people are going to complain about something either way....in Halo 3 people called the sword and the laser gun cheap...in COD4: MW people bítched about the grenade launcher and choppers. In WAW, people whined about the tanks, the dogs and the flamethrowers...In Rainbow Six Vegas people whined about shotguns in closed quarter combat, gps's, and magnums...I can go on all day about everyone's pet peeve and why they feel justified in getting all pissy about it. so all in all, I just do whatever the hell I please nowdays....

BUT in tactical games, the way BBC2 looks to be, I relish the opportunity to make more tactical decisions for the team's benefit ....much like R6V and GRAW. And since it doesnt sound as though sniping will help the team win much in BBC2, I probably wont actually snipe much per se...I was only ever a mediocre sniper anyway...but COD series got me used to the satisfaction which comes from headshots, spray and pray, one shot kills and 23:1 K/D ratios.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:14 PM

Sniping has it's place, in defense it is effective, in offense well you can still argue it as an anti-sniping strategy. But last night in the BBC2 demo I found it amazing the amount of noobs running around on offense with ghili suits and the sniper rifle. Literally 5 on a team of maybe 8. The first set of crates is very difficult to take without teamwork on that demo Port Valez map, yet they all sit in bunches on that one hill near the rocks.

On defense, since I learned about the identify contact feature from that video (new to the game) I am having a great time sitting in the building with the mounted machine gun and spraying down the rocks on the one map. Oh yeah - I can reach out and touch someone as well, all at 600 rounds per minute. The mounted gun has a shield around it and it's hilarous I can hear shots pinging all over it, but I am untouchable. I don't even see them, I just point in that direction, hit the select botton (on PS3), see the markers light up, aim in that direction and spray. Literally 3 or 4 at a time up there, and I start knocking them down when they poke their head up. Great fun, I can just visualize them cussing away. I should keep them up there however, noobs up on the rocks means our crates stay safe.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Sniping has it's place, in defense it is effective, in offense well you can still argue it as an anti-sniping strategy. But last night in the BBC2 demo I found it amazing the amount of noobs running around on offense with ghili suits and the sniper rifle. Literally 5 on a team of maybe 8. The first set of crates is very difficult to take without teamwork on that demo Port Valez map, yet they all sit in bunches on that one hill near the rocks.

On defense, since I learned about the identify contact feature from that video (new to the game) I am having a great time sitting in the building with the mounted machine gun and spraying down the rocks on the one map. Oh yeah - I can reach out and touch someone as well, all at 600 rounds per minute. The mounted gun has a shield around it and it's hilarous I can hear shots pinging all over it, but I am untouchable. I don't even see them, I just point in that direction, hit the select botton (on PS3), see the markers light up, aim in that direction and spray. Literally 3 or 4 at a time up there, and I start knocking them down when they poke their head up. Great fun, I can just visualize them cussing away. I should keep them up there however, noobs up on the rocks means our crates stay safe.
now see, although sniping is discouraged in the game, someone will find away to complain about your suppressive turret being cheap...which, I consider a perfectly valid part of gameplay, but trust me, someone will be calling you a n00b for taking advantage of it, within the first month of the release date.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
now see, although sniping is discouraged in the game, someone will find away to complain about your suppressive turret being cheap...which, I consider a perfectly valid part of gameplay, but trust me, someone will be calling you a n00b for taking advantage of it, within the first month of the release date.

Yes true. But the important thing is that every tactic should (and does in this game) have a counter-tactic. And that is the wonder of a well thought out and balanced game. I got killed in on that fixed gun plenty of times, by the enemy flanking me, by armour, and most irratating and multiple times by the UAV copter. They sit to the side over the water where my gun can't swing around to. First time I was thinking "what the hell is that? aww, that's cheap".
But then I found the counter tactic, respawn with a SAW or M-60, hide behind the building, and shoot lead into that machine of the devil.
They call spawn killing cheap and n00bish. I don't do it myself, but hey it's up to the teams to defend their spawn points, plus you have the option to spawn on your squad mate. It doesn't bother me.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Yes true. But the important thing is that every tactic should (and does in this game) have a counter-tactic. And that is the wonder of a well thought out and balanced game. I got killed in on that fixed gun plenty of times, by the enemy flanking me, by armour, and most irratating and multiple times by the UAV copter. They sit to the side over the water where my gun can't swing around to. First time I was thinking "what the hell is that? aww, that's cheap".
But then I found the counter tactic, respawn with a SAW or M-60, hide behind the building, and shoot lead into that machine of the devil.
They call spawn killing cheap and n00bish. I don't do it myself, but hey it's up to the teams to defend their spawn points, plus you have the option to spawn on your squad mate. It doesn't bother me.

I view all things in gaming as preventable...if people dont like it they should stop it....it is not up to an opponent to "ease up" just because a team cant counter the specific tactic being used against them...I feel that the only real exploit in games is glitching...spawn kills, camping, martyrdom, grenades, rocket launchers, perks (COD) etc are all legitimate aspects of gameplay.

But I do agree that every game should have an offset for each weapon or tactic...I particularly like the UAV/chopper offset in BBC2...in that vid you posted, it showed how a team member can go to a station and control a UAV that will take a chopper out...now thats balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games